Healthy Charleston Eats & A Relaxing Weekend Getaway

It’s another rainy and cold day here in the Carolinas, and I just can’t wait for the warmer weather to get here. I spent about thirty minutes looking at beach vacations contemplating on booking this morning. Even Charleston was cold last weekend. The cold weather went perfectly with the weekend mood though. We wanted to have a relaxing weekend and spend some time together. We have more Charleston vacations planned in the future, and we’ll be doing more beachy and plantation type things! This weekend was all about cuddling up, walking with tea, exploring antique shops, and catching up on some reading. My parents were kind enough to take the dogs for the weekend, so we didn’t have to worry about taking them out frequently.

Kyle and I arrived in Charleston Friday afternoon. He picked out a nice Airbnb smack dab between King Street and Meeting street. It was the perfect location for stepping out and walking around the town, which is what we planned on doing all weekend.
I’m usually always “on the job” on vacations. I’m constantly thinking about getting the shot, dressing cute to take photos, wearing makeup, doing my hair, going to fancy restaurants, and just go go go go go! I wanted to have a weekend away from my Instagram stories, away from spending the time to get ready, and away from “blog mode.” I didn’t work while I was in Charleston, I stayed off Instagram most of the time and spent my moments in the moment. I still took photos now and then, took shots of my food, and managed to get content, but none of it was planned. I found myself thinking “oh gotta walk the waterfront to get pics” or “can’t eat there with the bad lighting” and it was ridiculous! So that is when I decided just to have a weekend away…like really away. I only packed my athleisure!

Before heading out, we had lunch! I made a giant to-go salad to eat all weekend (recipe coming Friday.) I mentioned this in my recap post, but I don’t like dining out every meal on vacation. I like choosing one meal to dine out, and then eating my own food or leftovers later.
We spent the afternoon just walking around the shops, exploring antique stores, and enjoying the gorgeous streets. I think walking around the historic downtown is one of my favorite things to do. I can’t get enough of the beauty.

Shoes//Coat//Leggings//Purse//
Caviar and Bananas a block up from our Airbnb, so we stopped in there frequently to grab snacks or tea. It is very similar to Dean and Deluca.
All of their treats looked temptng! If I lived there, I’d a grab coffee, a raw bar, and read the paper in the mornings.
I ordered a blueberry tea! 🙂
After walking around for hours, we headed back to our Airbnb to relax. I made more tea with lemon and sat down to read my book. I’m so behind on the book club, but hoping to have it read and the post written at least before the end of February.

We headed out later in the evening to pick up wraps for dinner, and I also had the kale salad on the side. I could eat the kale salad ten times a day! Couldn’t get enough 😀

It was so lovely to watch the evening news with Kyle and watch the sunset in the living room. I think a giant window in the living is a must if I ever move into another home.
Not only was it nice to watch the sun go down, it was even better to watch the sun come up with my morning cup of coffee.

Kyle and I ended up falling asleep at 9:30. I sometimes think when you’re relaxed, stress-free situations can just make you so sleepy. I slept like a baby! I sank into the bed, and it was like sleeping on a cloud all night. Even though we were staying at an Airbnb, it felt like luxury hotel sheets.
It was kind of nice to have my morning to myself instead of walking several miles with the dogs before I can sit down to have coffee. I love my dogs so much, and they are worth every responsibility that comes with them, but it was nice to have a little break.
Mid-morning I had my tea and protein yogurt with a waffle for breakfast before getting up and ready for the day. I loved the slow start to my morning.
We walked and explored new areas of Charleston before stopping at one of my favorite spots, Carmella’s.

I’ve mentioned Carmella’s in a lot of my Charleston posts on the blog. I love Carmella’s for desserts, coffee, lattes, gelato, and other sweet treats.
I had a lemon citrus tea.
We came at the perfect time. There was a theater group performing live in the cafe, and they were all talented. We had tea and listened to them sing for about an hour.
We put our names down for a table at Basic Kitchen, and it was a 45-minute wait, so we decided to go grab a green juice while waiting. I had the green juice from Beech before, and it was on point. It has kale, green apple, ginger, romaine, spinach, cucumber, celery, parsley, and lemon.
They still couldn’t get us a table after we waited for fifty minutes. I didn’t understand why because there were so many empty tables and they were sitting other people right away. But, oh well. We took a seat at the bar when two spots opened up.
The whole style and vibe of the restaurant was awesome, and right up my alley. Despite the weird wait situation, I do recommend Basic Kitchen. It has a great menu and so many healthy options.

I broke my “one cup of coffee a day” rule, but I’ve been doing so well, and I didn’t mind treating myself since it was a special occasion. I ordered a small coconut milk cappuccino. I’d like to come back and have breakfast with coffee next time because the espresso flavors were smooth and strong.
I was so hungry that I could have eaten everything on the table!

Kyle ordered the Basic Bowl. It had brown rice, sesame kale, braised beans, grilled brussel sprouts, grilled sweet potato, grilled chicken, farm eggs, and sides of Magic Green, Thai Peanut, and Carrot Ginger sauces. How delicious does that look?

I ordered the Thai spiced turkey burger. It came with sesame slaw, pickled cucumber, and sweet potato fries. I ordered extra kale on the side and ended up using the carrot ginger dressing from Kyle’s dish. It tasted awesome!

I loved how fresh all of the food tasted. I am looking forward to going back and having breakfast!

We spent the afternoon shopping around King Street. I found a lot of cute summer shorts and tops. How adorable is this Friend’s sweatshirt?
We stopped back into Caviar and Bananas to grab dark chocolate for dessert and popcorn before heading back to the Airbnb to watch movies. I had to buy some coffee to bring home! I can’t wait to try this roast once I get through my current.
So many choices…& the cereal one was looking pretty good.
I ordered a lemon/ginger/turmeric detox tea with a splash of honey!
We walked around the town a bit more. It was really cold out, so the Saturday night in Charleton was very quiet. In the summer, downtown is swamped.
I spy a Kyle 🙂
For dinner, I had my lunch leftovers with my kale salad. I also grabbed a One Love Kombucha (probably the best Kombucha I’ve ever had) to go with my dinner.
Last morning in Charleston <3
We packed all of our stuff and headed out to walk around for about an hour. It was FINALLY nice out. No matter how many times you visit Charleston, there is always something new to explore. I have a GIANT list of things I want to do there this summer. I’ll be in go go go mode when I go back next time.

After walking around for a while, we headed to Huriyali before heading back to Charlotte.
I feel like this deserves caps, bold font, and exclamation points…

ADD THIS PLACE TO YOUR LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I couldn’t help but swoon over the gorgeous food. Restaurants like this inspire me to make similar dishes.
Superfood Balls!
I ordered the green bowl. It had banana, pineapple, kale, spirulina, avocado, nut and seed butter, almond milk, topped with seeds, coconut flakes, and cut fruit.

Kyle ordered the burrito bowl. It came with scrambled eggs, fresh herbs, seasonal quinoa, guacamole, salsa, beans, onions and cashew cream sauce. I had a bite, and I can confirm that it was TASTY.

The coffee was outstandng!

I have ZERO complaints. It was fabulous!
Green Juice: Seasonal Greens, Ginger, and Lemon.

The perfect way to end our trip 🙂
I took some cool photos of our Airbnb! 🙂 If you want a place in Charleston near King Street, this one was AMAZING! You can email me for details. I highly recommend Airbnb, especially if you’re traveling with pets, or alone! If you sign up with this link here, you can get $40 in travel credit! 🙂
The Airbnb was 4 bed/2 bath/ had cable/gorgeous kitchen/a view/parking garage/amazing location/and the host was so great to work with!
If you missed my last Charleston post, check it out here! 🙂

Questions for you!
1. Do you like laid back weekend getaways, or explore-mode weekend getaways?  (I like both.)
2. Have you ever stayed in an Airbnb?
3. Where is the last place you took a road trip to?

Comments

• Elaine Wangsawidjaja

Hi Taralynn! I loved this post and am planning a trip to Charleston because of your beautiful photos! Would you mind sharing the neighborhoods you explored?
    Answers to your questions!
    I like a combination of laid back + explore-mode getaways. It’s nice to sleep in but I always love seeing and doing new things!
    I’ll be staying at an airbnb for the first time in Charleston!
    The last trip I took wasn’t really a road trip- but i went to Chicago!
    Thanks again!

Reply to Elaine Wangsawidjaja

Hi, Elaine!

We just explored neighborhoods all around the historic downtown! 🙂 There are so many!!

Woooo! Enjoy your Charleston trip:)

Chicago is fun (in the summer) lol! <3

xo

• naj

Taralynn you’re glowing! Taking care of ourselves is such a journey of trial and error and right now you look like the picture of female beauty and wellness. I’m happy everything turned out well.

Reply to naj
  • Kelsey Weissner

I love all of the old houses and pretty pastels! My favorite was that huge house with the little mini pond in the front, wow! I’m glad you had a great trip!

I’m both laid back and exploratory on the weekends! It depends on the weather, honestly. If it’s nice out, I want to see and do all of things haha. If it’s gloomy or cold, being dressed down and low key is how I like to spend my time! I’ve stayed in several Airbnbs–2 in Manhattan, 1 in Brooklyn, 1 in Sedona AZ and 1 in Harpers Ferry WV. I’ve had nothing but phenomenal experiences at each place and I swear they help make the most memorable trips. The last road trip my boyfriend and I took was from Baltimore to Pawleys Island, SC to see his parents back in September. It’s about 9 hours, but it doesn’t bother us too much because the time we spend there is always so incredible. Our upcoming roadtrip is next month! We are flying into Phoenix AZ then driving to the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Palm Springs, and then finally San Diego to attend a family wedding. I can’t wait!! What’s your next roadtrip?

I hope you have a great weekend! xo Kelsey

Reply to Kelsey Weissner

Hi, Kels!

Yes, that house was GORGEOUS!!

I feel ya! The weather plays a role in my moods for sure. I think if it was nice and sunny out, you couldn’t get me to stay inside at all. Wow you are such a travel bug and I love it!!!!

Next road trip? Probably the mountains with the dogs!

• Kendall

This trip sounded like something you needed. I sense a sadness in your voice and I hope all is well with you, Taralynn.

Reply to Kendall

Thanks for your concerns, Kendall!

All is well, and I’m in a very good place 🙂 I appreciate you asking. I think I’m just in a winter slump and ready to get outside and get sunshine!

🙂 xo

• Hannah

How far is Charleston from Charlotte? I’m visiting my friend in Charlotte this summer and it would be great to make the drive down there. I’ve always loved seeing Charleston on your blog.

Reply to Hannah
  • Chelsea @ Just Me Chelsea B.

That looks like an amazing trip!! I’ve stayed in an AirBnB in downtown Chicago and it was amazing! It had the best view of the city and we loved every part of it! Even with the amazing view, it was still cheaper than a hotel which was a huge bonus! 🙂 I’m all about laid back trips at the beach, but it’s also fun to adventure and explore around big cities too!

Reply to Chelsea @ Just Me Chelsea B.

Hi, Chelsea!

I want to go back to Chicago soon, so I may be asking which Airbnb you said at! ONLY GOING IN THE SUMMER! lol

I feel you on the beach/city exploration/relaxation!:)

• Kasey

I love Charleston!

Reply to Kasey
  • Dani

What a fun trip!

Reply to Dani
  • Jeme

I go into Caviar before classes! So cool you were near my campus and dorm!

Reply to Jeme
  • Mary

omg. girl! I need that Friends sweatshirt.

Reply to Mary
  • Anonymous

Emailing you!

Reply to Anonymous
  • Katie

I have a feeling you’ll be living in Charleston…

Reply to Katie
  • Sara

Thank you for emailing me back! We booked the Airbnb!

Reply to Sara
  • Rose

So gorgeous! I’m dying to see Folly beach. A bit of a side-note, but my boyfriend and I are headed to Charlotte in
    a few weeks to scope it out as a potential city for when we move! Any suggestions on where we should get an AirBNB? Is there a particular street or part of downtown or is a lake-view the way to go?

Ps. Have loved your blog forever and have never had the courage to post a reply. Honestly, every post inspires me.

Reply to Rose

It really depends on what you’re coming here for! Charlotte is pretty spread out. If anything, I’d stay in uptown and then venture out to the neighborhoods like Noda, Plaza Midwood, Southend, Southpark, and enjoy the trails/parks in Dilworth!

Thanks for the kind words about my blog! I’ll keep and eye out for your reply so I can help you plan for your trip!

• Susie @ Mile High Dreamers

SO glad you were able to take this getaway to chill out and enjoy yourself! Ben is the kind of person who can be simultaneously filming and taking pics, while also enjoying the moment. But I can’t at all. It’s either one or the other! And that green bowl looks SO yummy!

I’m definitely a both kind of girl. I love lounging on the beach, but I can’t do it for that long. Ben and I both love exploring, hiking, boating, etc. So it’s a nice mix.
    Airbnb changed our travel game and now that’s almost all we use!
    The last place we road tripped to was just the western slope to snowmobile. I get a little stir crazy in the car so I need to practice being able to handle longer drives!

Reply to Susie @ Mile High Dreamers

Hi, Susie!

I’m usually always out doing the photos and exploring, but this was so nice to do just nothing and anything.

Lol car rides can be rough! We download jeopardy and play that haha

• Kaileigh

Hi Taralynn! Super random question but do you and Kyle drink alcohol?

Reply to Kaileigh

Hi, Kaileigh!

We do not. Neither of us enjoy alcohol past the point of sipping it with dinner at a restaurant.

I’ve been around too many people that suffer from alcohol abuse and it’s not something I ever want. I’ve had my fun times with alcohol, which I can still count with one hand, but I’ve just made the choice to really stay away from it. I don’t mind sipping wine, or enjoying a glass of champagne at Christmas, but it’s not something that I crave. I’ll usually take like ten sips and be over it.

I dislike road trips actually! I get carsick and bored and stiff.

Do you like Charlottetown more or this city?

• Kaitlyn

Great post!

1. In theory I like go go go non-stop exploring weekends but I’ve found a healthy balance works best for me. This is especially true whenever I visit Europe. So much to see and do, but there really is value in taking a long breakfast to people watch or a long dinner to chat with friends (old or new)!
    2. I only stay in AirBnbs when I travel. Generally speaking, I find they are more cost effective, give you the flexibility to cook at home, and give you a more authentic feel of the city. My best AirBnb experiences have been in Venice and Paris. I liked my Parisian host so much, I’m staying with him in a couple of months when I stop through Paris again.
    3. The last road trip I took was from San Francisco down to San Diego.

Reply to Kaitlyn

Hi, Kaitlyn!

Yes, I agree. The healthy balance is ideal.

I think it’s so cool that you do that! I am not brave enough to stay with hosts. I feel like it would be awkward, but it’s probably not! You’ve inspired me to try it!

Wow what a fun drive!!

• Kristin

Looks like an amazing trip! You definitely captured the chill vibe in your photos!

1. I like both types too, but it definitely helps to try to plan which way you want it to go!
    2. I have never stayed in an air bnb but my parents have had great experiences!
    3. Last road trip was in Michigan last summer, we go every year to a cabin my family has, but we took an extra little day trip to drive to the UP! We took a route that followed the lake and went through the “tunnel of trees” which was amazing. We just pretty much crossed the bridge and took in the view from there but I would love to spend a few days up there in the remote parts!! I’m sure there are some amazing cabins on air bnb up there!

Reply to Kristin

Hi, Kristin!

Thanks so much 😀

1. Yes, planning does help.
      2. That’s so good! They can be fun for sure.
      3. Awww a Michigan summer is so great! Sounds like you had a great trip there!!

• Maggie

Absolutely love your blog and pictures! Recently moved to Greenville, NC myself for work and can’t wait until I have more time to explore the south. Until then, will keep perusing your blog!

Reply to Maggie
  • Desire

That green bowl looks amazing! What was in the energy balls with the coconut?

Reply to Desire
  • Kristen

Love this! My best friend lives in Notth Carolina (Raliegh) and I have been dreaming to visit!!

I love a laid back weekend!
    I stayed at an AirBnB once with a group of friends in the summer time, it was on a lake and a great time 🙂

My last road trip…..I honestly don’t remember! I guess that means I need to plan one ASAP!!!!

Always love you blog posts !!!

Reply to Kristen
  • Katie

Which Charleston beach is your favorite? Planning a trip soon!

Reply to Katie
  • Roseane

Where did you get your shoes? The pink and blue ones?

Reply to Roseane
  • Ellen

Where are all your tennis shoes from?! love all the different colors you have!

Reply to Ellen
  • Kelli

1. Do you like laid back weekend getaways, or explore-mode weekend getaways?
    I’m on the same boat as you, I like to relax and chill, but I also love to explore new places and take everything in. There needs to be a good balance of both, but I usually end up going to bed very late and waking very early to fit everything in!

2. Have you ever stayed in an Airbnb?
    OMG YES! I love Airbnb, it makes hotels seem totally pointless now. Especially when we travel with our dog, it’s so nice to find places that are pet friendly and have decent fenced in yards for the pup. Highly recommend Airbnb, we rented an awesome one in Huntington beach CA and will be heading out there in 3 weeks!

3. Where is the last place you took a road trip to?
    Since we live so far away from everything, it seems like any trip to any where with real stores or a mall is road trip. I guess the last road trip was down to our parents house for Thanksgiving, it’s an 11 hour drive. I always make sure to pack a cooler with snacks and drinks and it makes the trip so much easier. I also just purchased a thermos so I can bring more than just a travel size cup of coffee for the road 🙂

Reply to Kelli

Hi, Kelli!

I think you’re right. It’s all about the balance!

So fun! I’ll be heading to California soon as well!:D

Woww 11 hours is a big road trip. The last time we did that was when we went down to Florida. It’s worth it when you want to bring dogs! 🙂

• Charity

Looks like you guys had a blast! I definitely want to get there and visit one day! <3

Reply to Charity
  • Kyla

What a wonderful trip!! You take the best photographs!

I used to live in Charleston, and my husband and I would always walk around downtown – it never got old! The history, architecture is fantastic and gorgeous!
    My husband even proposed to me downtown on Water Street (near the battery)!! <3

1. I enjoy both – but really need a good explore trip soon!
    2. I haven't stayed yet, but your posts really make me want to book a trip asap!
    3. The last semi road trip was to visit family right around Charleston – in Summerville! If you ever head into Summerville – check out a hole in the wall Charleston Deli and Bakery – you WON'T regret it! They have AMAZING food and coffee!!! : http://www.charlestonbakeryanddeli.com/

Reply to Kyla

That is so sweet of you, Kyla!!

Did you LOVE living in Charleston? that would be a dream. I ALMOST moved there before deciding to stay in Charlotte.

Thanks for the rec! We always stop in Summerville, so I’ll add that to my list!

Have a great weekend!

• Alison Williams

I like both. But we NEVER relax.. mainly because of me. I have to explore, see, learn…. shoot photographs, document.

I love Charleston! Been many times. Going sometime this year. I keep a Charleston list in my phone notes. Places I still haven’t been to. Things I haven’t done. Places I haven’t ate at yet. I wrote down Huriyali Market! It looks awesome. Never seen it before or heard of it. I like following Charleston IG pages and I will see things… and note them. Or I have a friend who visits from time to time and always eats at a new place and he reports back to me. *snort*

Have you seen the angel tree yet? I still can’t believe I haven’t! I mean we went by once and saw it from the road because we got there too late. They were closed. (3688 Angel Oak Rd, Johns Island, SC 29455 – in case you haven’t) It is so, so, so pretty. We are FOR SURE going to see it next trip we make.

Loved this blog! Gah, I love Charleston. So blessed to live within reason and distance of a unique, historical, beautiful place. The class of the South!

Reply to Alison Williams

I have the same love for Charleston and there are so many things I still need to do/see there!

I have heard of the angel tree! I will add it to my list!!!

• Kasey

You and Kyle are so sweet together. I am looking forward to your Valentine’s day post. When will that go live?

Reply to Kasey
  • Sam

I’m always looking for things to do on Vacations but I think you’ve inspired me to take the laid-back route. Great messages as always!

Reply to Sam
  • Stacey

You take great photos. I look forward to traveling to Charleston one day.

Reply to Stacey
  • P.

Totally emailing you about that Airbnb!

Reply to P.
  • Sammy

I have lived in Charleston for six years and have never heard of those places. Apparently, I need to get out more!

Reply to Sammy
  • Karie

Looks like a great time! Happy birthday.

Reply to Karie
  • Penny

Thank you for sharing those healthy spots! I am adding them to my summer list. My hubby and I are making the drive up to Charleston and I am so excited after reading all of your posts over the years.

Secretly hoping to bump into you!

Reply to Penny
  • Susie

Happy belated birthday! Glad you had a relaxing Charleston trip. Sometimes chill is the way to go.
    I love packing in a ton of fun on vacation, but also crave that laidback vibe where I can lay out by the water and just read and snooze. Speaking of reading, I couldn’t get into A Man Called Ove. Despite that, still looking forward to your book review post.

Never stayed in an Airbnb…I think I’ve heard too many horror stories. You’ve had such great experiences for sure.

I’m taking a road trip tomorrow to Sacramento for the Miranda Lambert concert, woo hoo!!

Reply to Susie

Thanks so much, Susie!!

It felt nice to have no expectations and go with the flow.

I totally understand. I’m like that most of the time!

HAHAHA I’ve heard horror stories too and that is why you have to do your homework! lol

xo xo xo HAVE FUN!!!! LOVE MIRANDA LAMBERT!

• Quin

I go to Beech for their green juice all the time. I study at the College of Charleston!

Reply to Quin
  • Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Looking good, Taralynn! ❤️ Love the vibrant colours of the photo, sounds like you had a great weekend! 🙂 I’ve only stayed in an Airbnb once because I prefer hotels, but that one time was a great stay nonetheless! 🙂

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Reply to Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
  • Danielle

Thank you for the reminder to live in the moment! I appreciate your passion for bringing us beautiful and real content, Taralynn. I’m impressed with your ability to stay humble and true to yourself over the years. I’m tired of following blogs that conform to the fake and staged posts. I always enjoy your recaps and adventures.

Never change!

Reply to Danielle

Wow, thank you, Danielle!

That means so much to me. I really enjoy the way I bring content to the blog and I don’t think my style is going anywhere soon! xo xo xo xo