Nine Healthy Habits I’m Sticking To This Year

Happy Friday, Everyone!

I know a lot of you have been focusing on healthy habits this year! I love the idea of going into a new year with a clean slate and the determination to change for the better. I am constantly trying to find ways to be happier and healthier. I thought it would be fun to share nine healthy habits that I’m sticking with this year! There is one healthy habit I think you will all agree with me on!

1. RISE BEFORE THE SUN:

I am already an early riser, but I want to make sure I stay an early riser. This is something I plan on sticking to! I’d also like to enjoy the morning sun. I plan on watching less news and sitting out on my porch listening to the birds. Maybe I’ll read the paper instead.
2. GETTING IN MORE STEPS:

Again, I walk ALL the time because of my dogs. They have me walking a ton of miles per day. This is another healthy habit I’d like to stick to! When the warmer weather arrives, I’ll be doubling my steps! There is no such thing as too many steps.
 DRINK LESS COFFEE/DRINK MORE TEA:

I recently made a big swap! Many of you know my addiction to coffee. I was drinking the stuff so much! This year, I’ve decided to give my nervous system a break and cut back on all of the caffeine. I’ve been drinking one cup of coffee in the morning, and that is it. I have replaced my afternoon coffee with tea. Lemon ginger & herbal caffeine-free tea is my new coffee. I’ll be saving hundreds of dollars this year 🙂
4. EATING MORE PLANT FOOD:

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on why you should cut back on animal products. I won’t be cutting back completely because that wouldn’t fit my lifestyle, but I will be eating more and more plant-based foods whenever I can! I want more veggies, more vitamins, more nutrients, and more fruits! 🙂
5. GETTING EIGHT HOURS OF SLEEP:

Even though I’m an early bird, I still fall asleep pretty late sometimes. I mean, there are times when I can’t stay up past 8 pm, but I want to make sure to get eight hours of sleep each night! This helps me choose healthier foods, stay more active, drink more water, and go for less sugary food! It also helps me stay focused without turning to coffee.
6. STRETCHING/YOGA MORE:

This year, I’ve been spending more time stretching and attending yoga classes. This is so good for relaxing and focusing. Each night, I’ll spend twenty minutes doing stretches on the floor, or I’ll stretch before leaving the gym.
7. MORE TIME IN NATURE:

It’s been hard to get out in nature because of the colder temps, but as soon as it heats up, you won’t be able to stop me! I want to spend more time hiking, walking, swimming, and exploring! I love being outdoors! It’s so healthy to disconnect from technology and connect with nature.

8. MORE TIME WITH IMPORTANT PEOPLE:

I’ve been swamped the past couple of months, and so have my friends! It’s hard to align schedules, so this year, I’ll be making more of an effort to bend schedules and spend time with the important people in my life.

9. WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT HEALTHY HABIT YOU CAN HAVE THIS YEAR!

IT CAN WAIT.

You probably weren’t expecting the last one, but you probably agree that it is the most important healthy habit anyone can have. Looking back at my past, I thought I was invincible. I’ve been guilty of looking at texts while driving, looking at a notification, or taking a photo of the scenery. I am going to take the pledge to STOP! It’s irresponsible and extremely dangerous. I spend so much time focusing on healthy food, working out, or getting sleep to be healthier, but none of that matters if I don’t follow the healthiest habit ever. We live a world surrounded by fun and exciting technology, but that technology can take your life or the life of someone else in a split second. Please join AT&T in making our roads safer and pledge to not drive distracted! If you want to take the pledge with me, go to ItCanWait.com! Also, follow @ItCanWait on Twitter!

QUESTION FOR YOU!

1. WILL YOU TAKE THE PLEDGE? YES OR NO!

Thank you, AT&T for sponsoring this post and bringing awareness to the dangers of distractions on the road!

Comments

• Jen

Love this post! Such a great idea. These are all habits I’ve been trying to incorporate into my own life forever but still struggle with. Nice to know I’m not alone!

Reply to Jen
  • Tara @ Run and Live Happy

I loved this post!! I’m always looking for ways to be healthier and I’m definitely going to copy some of these goals for myself!

Reply to Tara @ Run and Live Happy
  • Aly

Loved this post! So inspiring and goals I would totally love to incorporate into my year!!! I have an idea for you. Would you ever consider vlogging your day? As someone who has been reading your blog for years, and loving all the photos you share, I would love to see what your day through video. For example what your route looks like when you walk your dogs. I live in CA and would love to see how your scenery differs from mine. Another thing that would be fun is seeing how you grocery shop and cook! Just a fun thing to do every so often that I know I would watch and assume others would too!! I hope you consider it!!

Reply to Aly

Thanks, Aly!

I actually did an entire week of vlogging! It was fun:)

In about four months, I have an entire youtube series going live! SO to answer your question, YES!

• Candice

I’ll take the pledge!

Thank you.

Reply to Candice
  • Quin

You’ve inspired me to be a morning person for the past year! I used to sleep until ten.

Reply to Quin
  • Helen

Love these! Just out of curiosity: why does a full plant-based diet not fit your diet? 🙂

Reply to Helen

I’m anemic, and the iron that comes from meat is beneficial for me. Not only that, I enjoy meat, so I don’t want any of those food restrictions. I will try to eat vegan when I can like switching milk, yogurts, protein powders, and so on! 🙂 It just doesn’t fit my lifestyle. If I wanted it to, I could make it my liestyle but I just do not want to at this stage in my life 🙂

• Sara

Yay for eating more plant-based food!

Reply to Sara
  • Hannah

I love all of these!

I’d like to start going back to CrossFit again. Any tips for helping me wake up earlier?

Reply to Hannah

Thanks, Hannah!

Here are some of my tips:

1. Cut off coffee/caffeine after 1 pm!
      2. Try to go to bed by 10!
      3. Make sure everything is ready to go before you go to bed!
      4. Put your alarm clock all the way across the room!

• Cait

I took this pledge last year because my cousin was killed by a drunk driver!

Reply to Cait
  • Carrie

I love how your goals are not about your looks or superficial crap. I love how you enjoy the small things in life!

Reply to Carrie
  • Steph

These are great goals, thanks for sharing! It isn’t only Jan 28, but I’m already over my goals haha. This post reminded me to stick to them. Thanks!

Reply to Steph
  • Sammie

Sent this to all of my friends because of #9!

Reply to Sammie
  • Anonymous

Great post.

Reply to Anonymous
  • Stacy

I’ve been inspired by you for years, and I fully agree with all your goals for the year, and would love to follow the same ideals and see how you, I, and others succeed! I read your post about your morning habits, began to sneak some of those into my daily routines, especially tea time (and a half level of Alice!). Depending upon my morning with my family and work schedule, it may end up being mid afternoon tea, but I’m working on less caffeine and more water/teas!
    Looking forward to seeing the progressions!! 💚

Reply to Stacy
  • Haley

Thank you for posting these, Taralynn! Your blog is so uplifting and a happy place for me.

Reply to Haley
  • Susie @ Mile High Dreamers

Ben is ALWAYS telling people to ‘take the pledge’! It’s honestly so scary how many people are driving around not looking these days. They say that texting and driving is even more dangerous than driving under the influence! YIKES!

Getting more plants is my favorite one :), BUT I also love the one about getting more sleep! I used to think it was fine to only get 4-6 hours of sleep. Now I make it a priority to get 8 hours, and I always feel SO good throughout the day!

Reply to Susie @ Mile High Dreamers

About 8 out of 10 people are on their phones when you look over at the car next to you. It really is scary!

Yes! But anything over 8 hours has me tired! lol funny how the body works!!

• Jackie

Love this!

Reply to Jackie
  • Traci

Taralynn, I always appreciate how you work so hard to incorporate your sponsors into your posts in a way that makes sense, flows well, and is meaningful for your readers. Sometimes sponsored posts can feel icky because it feels like a blogger is just writing random fluff to have something to place their sponsor’s name in. I never get that feeling from your posts – it’s so clear that you take a lot of time and effort to give your readers valuable content and think carefully about how your sponsors fit into the style of your blog. Thanks for being an awesome blogger and sharing so much of your life with us! I love reading your tips, thoughts, and recipes! Many of these healthy habits are goals of mine for this year too! 🙂

Reply to Traci

Hi, Traci!

Thank you for the kind words! 🙂 I love the feedback! I make sure to work with sponsors that will allow my blog to stay true to itself and I make sure that I work with sponsors that I truly love and would like to endorse! This comment made me smile! Thanks for making my day, Traci!

Taralynn

• Rachel

What brand of tea do you drink?

Reply to Rachel
  • Michalina

I am trying to drink more water cause I often forget about it. I also want to look at my cellphone less – I getting a bit addicted to it.

Reply to Michalina
  • Krista

I literally need to cut back on the caffeine– I’d been taking pre-workout for months (instead of coffee), but that coupled with my anxiety this morning did not go well when it came time for them to take my blood pressure at the dentist, which was higher (though still technically healthy) than last time. It’s something they do for new patients, and I didn’t think that the caffeine could do that. On top of that, a tub of preworkout is like $35-$40 a pop, so I’ll definitely be saving money. Throwing that junk out NOW! The kicker is that I eat really clean food, low oil, salt, + sugar, and work out regularly, so I know it’s the preworkout. 🙁 THANK YOU for writing this post!!

Reply to Krista

Cutting back on caffeine is hard and I thought I’d NEVER be able to do it. Now that I have, I’M SO CALM AND COLLECTED! My anxiety has nearly gone away! I look forward to my morning cup, and then drink lemon/ginger caffeine-free the rest of the day! My boyfriend takes a caffeine-free pre-workout! Maybe look for that if you need a pre-workout 😀 xo xo xo

• Heather @ Polyglot Jot

Great goals! 🙂 I post plant-based recipes on my blog if you are looking for more plant-spiration! My WIAW posts and my recipe posts are all plant-based. Hope youll check it out!
    Love the one about more time outside. It’s so hard in the cold months, but I’m so looking forward to spring and summer walks with my daughter and warm sunshine!

Reply to Heather @ Polyglot Jot
  • Linda @ the Fitty

All these goals–are my goals too! I want to take more steps throughout the day and also get more hours of sleep on weeknights; not just relying on the weekends to “makeup” for sleep debt.

Reply to Linda @ the Fitty
  • Heather

As a North Carolina native, I agree with #7. There are so many great places to explore in our state! From the Charlotte area, you can take several day trips to Pilot Mountain, Hanging Rock or other national parks & trails in our state. Or, even go rent some camping gear from your local REI and go hit up the Appalachian trail or other great camping spots. One day trip out of the month to get outside and explore was my 2017. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I highly recommend it!

Reply to Heather
  • Amber

Reply to Amber
  • Shannen

Awesome list! I love that you added things you already do and how you will continue to improve them. I feel like we are always pressured to make new, huge, semi unattainable goals each year.
    I try my best not to look at my phone while driving. What gets me is the long drives/road trips or using the maps app. Usually I can make it 15 minutes without checking my phone though! Or I just ask Siri to read the text to me.

Reply to Shannen

Yes! That’s what I had in mind while doing this list! I did form some new habits, but I’m loving them!

I actually use the Bluetooth or aux cord now for my directions! 😀 Yes, using Siri is good as long as you’re not looking at the phone.

• Kristin

YES definitely!! Thank you for spreading this message. 💜

Your #1-8 are also great habits that I would love to incorporate more this year!

Reply to Kristin
  • Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Sounds like great goals for 2018, Taralynn! ❤️ I especially love the last one. It’s important to treasure our loved ones and spend time with them while we can! 🙂

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog