Healthy Eats & A Lot of Walks: The Weekly Recap!

I wish the time would slow down. I can’t believe it’s already Friday! It certainly doesn’t feel like it. I’m excited to bring you another recap post (they are my favorite.) This week has been very productive. I’ve been kicking butt on the 150 Mile June Walking Challenge, my dad and I have been building a back deck, and I’ve been knocking some other important things out. This weekend is going to be so much fun. Becca and I bought a giant double tube with a cooler, and we are going to float down the river. There may even be merlot involved, just saying. I’m not sure what sparked our idea, but this is going to be a blast.
Let’s start with last Friday. It was Dateline (per usual) and dinner at my place. Kyle and I decided to go separate ways with food choices. I don’t do buffalo, and I don’t do blue cheese…I threw together a quick salad, and he made buffalo chicken flat out pizzas.

He is obsessed with these. I love making mine with pepperoni or a Hawaiian one. You can find the recipe here!
On Saturday morning, Kyle and I took the pups for a long walk around the neighborhood. We did a lot of that this week to fit in the miles for the challenge.  After our walk, we headed over to my parent’s house to lay out by the pool. I bought my mom a cute new polka dot swimming suit, and she looked adorable! I’m already a freckly person, so I have to lather on the sunscreen. I used Alba Botanica Hawaiian Coconut Sunscreen with SPF 50. It smells so good, and it’s organic.
After spending some time by the pool and letting the dogs run around the back, Kyle and I headed to the gym. I did a little circuit, and it completely sucked. I was not in the mood to workout, but at least I did something little.
I was so tired, so I made a cup of coffee when I got back. I watched some Nicolas Sparks movies with the pups, and just relaxed.
We went on our two-mile dog walk later in the evening and then got ready to meet up with Becca and her boyfriend for a double date.
Hello, Summer Chardonnay.
We headed to Legal Remedy Brewing in Rock Hill. We love the food and vibe of this brewery.
I ordered the steak salad. It came with cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, goat cheese, onions, fries, and a medium-rare steak.
After dinner, we headed back to my place to play Cards Against Humanity and have dessert. No matter how many times you play, it never gets old.
For breakfast on Sunday morning, I made an omelet with avocado on the side. The omelet was filled with spinach and goat cheese.

I headed to the Riverwalk on Sunday to get my six miles in. I walked super fast because I knew it was about to rain.

Lunch: fajita grilled chicken, avocado, goat cheese, romaine, and Greek dressing.

I spent Sunday afternoon relaxing and reading a book with the pups by my side.

Cherries & Greek yogurt while watching the NBA Playoffs! Honestly, how many games do these guys have to play!? I feel like basketball has been going on forever.
 Early morning walks with the pups! Getting in those miles as much as I can.
Monday breakfast: pecans, avocado, omelet with goat cheese.
I stopped at Target to get a new book, and of course, I shopped for clothes…Excuse the no makeup and funny faces, but I was sending these to Becca so she could NAY OR YAY. And I ended up buying this top. I love stripes and off the shoulder tops!
I stopped at Earthfare on the way home to grab groceries so I could bake my afternoon away 🙂
Mid-day dog walk! The miles add up:)
I made my carb-less chocolate but with extra peanut butter, shredded coconut, almond extract, vanilla extract, and Swerve. It tastes the closest to sugar and doesn’t have any weird aftertaste! I am obsessed. Shaughna got me hooked on it in Hawaii.
Dinner:
avocado, grilled chicken, fajita chicken, chipotle ranch, and romaine!
My nighttime tea 🙂 Lemon Ginger from Stash. Honestly, this is my favorite tea! I love the spice of the ginger.
 I fit my five walking miles in early. I power walked around my neighborhood twice (without the dogs) and that ended up being exactly five miles. I also fit in more dog walks to build up the mileage even more.
I picked up my mom on her lunch hour and we headed to Earthfare to grab a bite to eat.
Grumples was really sick on Tuesday night. He wouldn’t even get off the couch to greet me, get up for a walk, and when we finally got outside, he just sat on the driveway. 🙁 He’s doing much better now and has his energy back. I wasn’t too concerned because he still had an appetite, but I think he goes through leg pain sometimes. Makes me sad 🙁
My dad came over bright and early on Wednesday morning so we could get started on the deck. We got all of the ground leveled and the deck boards down for day one.
I had “me” time after walking the dogs on Wednesday night. I had hot tea, a charcoal clay face mask, and cherries.
The deck is coming along!!!
Last night’s dinner:
cod seasoned with soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and minced onion, roasted carrots, and a side salad!
Night walk!
I woke up early this morning, walked the dogs, and had a quick breakfast before my dad came over to finish the deck with me. I had Dave’s Killer Bread with peanut butter and a cup of coffee.
Taking a break from deck building lunch 🙂 Spring mix with grilled chicken, goat cheese, and a Greek dressing! 🙂

Keep an eye out for my deck post! 🙂

Questions for you!

1. What are you doing this weekend?
  2. Have you ever been tubing down a river?

SaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

Comments

• Anonymous

All of yur food looks good

Reply to Anonymous
  • Anonymous

Walking is my favorite!

Reply to Anonymous
  • Shanna

Your deck looks a bit like mine. We extended our concert slab as well, but you step up to the addition. I have gone tubing. It was quite the adventure. Ended up with most of us getting separated and walking walking back to camp. since most of the others were without shoes I ran/walked ahead about 4 miles towards camp before I got a ride. Of the 7 of us two made it back to camp via the river.😂 Ah. Montana adventures. Hope your trip is less exciting.

Reply to Shanna
  • Kassie

Taralynn! Your omelettes always look so amazing. Can you do a how-to post? Mine never turn out to look like yours!

Reply to Kassie
  • Charming

I think it’s so cool you’ll tube down a river. So many girls are grossed out by nature. Where can I find a girl like you? Im jk

Reply to Charming
  • Em

Hey Taralynn!
    Love reading your recaps–LOVED that Target shirt, so glad you bought it! All your food looks so yummy!
    Hope this doesn’t come off as nosy, but I was just curious if you were ever planning on doing a post on how you and Kyle met? I just love reading the “way we met” stories haha! Have a great week! 🙂

Reply to Em

Hi, Em!

Thanks so much 🙂

I think I’ll post it one day, but Kyle and I love to keep our relationship/his life pretty personal, but I know I’ll do it one day!
      xo

• Hannah

Bought the same shirt at Target!

Reply to Hannah
  • Ally

Have you ever been to the farmer’s market in Fort Mill? I think it’s called the Peach Stand?

Reply to Ally
  • Courtney

I didn’t get up to a whole lot this weekend. My boyfriend and I bought our first condo and we move on Friday, so this weekend was mainly filled with errands, packing, and cleaning. We did take a little day trip to a nearby city for shopping, a haircut, and lunch though.

We have totally gone tubing before and love it! Growing up I went a few times as a kid with my family. Now I live in a city that has 2 rivers that connect, so lots of people go tubing. We bought a very similar tube last year – the cooler was awesome to have! We packed up a few drinks, enjoyed the sun and tubed down the river for a few hours. You will have a blast!

Reply to Courtney

Hi, Courtney!

Congrats!!! That is so exciting. 🙂

That is EXACTLY what we did and it was so nice having the cooler in the tube. We can’t wait to go again!

• Carissa

You always make pretty omelets. What is your secret!

Reply to Carissa
  • Anonymous

Hi, Taralynn!

What kind of dogs do you have?

Reply to Anonymous
  • Hilary

That Lemon Ginger tea sounds amazing. I love those leashes you have for your dogs, if you don’t mind me asking, where did you get them?!

Reply to Hilary
  • Anonymous

Where is your suit from

Reply to Anonymous
  • Anne

Can’t wait to see the deck! What color will you be staining or painting it?

Reply to Anne
  • Anonymous

Do you ever eat unhealthy?

Reply to Anonymous
  • Kylee

Thank goodness it’s cherry season!

Reply to Kylee
  • Lina

Hi Tara! Can’t wait to hear about your tubing experience! My weekend was low key soaking up as much as I could.

Also, how is your knee doing post marathon? I reread your Marathon recap the other day (still so amazing you completed that! I’m no runner so mad respect there) and remembered you talked about the terrible knee pain you had and potentially might need surgery. Did you get an answer from a doc? or how to train and prevent an injury like that to happen?

Reply to Lina

Hi, Lina!

I did have that checked out and it was caused by my lack of stretching and flexibility. I have been stretching and working on IT BAND warmups 🙂 It’s all about my pre and post routine + strength.

• Samantha

Oh my gosh…what kind of dog leashes are those?? I’ve never seen any like that! Where did you get them? One of my dogs tends to pull like crazy, that additional handle looks awesome.

Reply to Samantha
  • jordan @ dancing for donuts

i can’t get over how cute your pups are!!! and i’ve been doing your 150 mile challenge (although i track it with my step count for the most part through my iphone so it’s not super accurate!) and it’s been AMAZING. i love walking everywhere and have been using the time to clear my head and listen to podcasts. thank you for inspiring me to get moving more!!!

Reply to jordan @ dancing for donuts
  • Anonymous

Did Kyle go tubing?

Reply to Anonymous
  • Hrafnhildur Karlsdóttir

Hi Taralynn 🙂 Love your blog and have been reading it for 6-7 years!!
    I was wondering are you on a specific diet now? It seems like you don’t eat much of grains and potatoes etc? Would love an answer 😀 Keep on the good work <3

Reply to Hrafnhildur Karlsdóttir
  • Tiffany J

This weekend I went wedding dress shopping. I found a dress I love but going to try out another place just in case I find something else. I also bought wood to make Cornhole boards for the wedding so it can be our guestbook. Super excited. Did a deep clean on the house (which never happens).

We go tubing all the time in New Braunfels in Texas. It is the place to tube. Its so fun and sooooo relaxing. You will have so much fun.

Can’t wait to see the deck post, currently in the process of getting my deck started.

Reply to Tiffany J

Ahhhhhh how fun!!

Sounds like you are having so much fun with this! 🙂 oh, and deep cleaning is good for the soul! I’m doing it later this afternoon 🙂

TUBING WAS AMAZING!!!

• Lauren

We spend our summers in northern MI, and we would go tubing down this river every once in a while. Super fun make sure you bring lots of food and snacks! Also, be careful because everytime i would drift towards the edge of the river, I would go through a spider web and they were HUGE and GROSS!

have so much fun!

Reply to Lauren

Awww I bet it’s gorgeous in Northern Michigan!

Luckily we didn’t run into ANY creatures!:) We did have cute little dragonflies ride on the tube with us:) lol We also brought so much water and snacks!

• Chase

I love that I’m not the only one with an Amazon addiction.

Reply to Chase
  • Scottie

When will you start running again?

Reply to Scottie
  • Lindsey

Just caught up with your blog after months and I am loving it!

Reply to Lindsey
  • Jennifer

This weekend was a country music festival! Keith Urban and Brantley Gilbert were the headliners, and it was two days full of sun and friends. I’m currently doing laundry/cleaning up everything from camping, and nursing the sunburn on mt legs! I put sunscreen on my top half, but didn’t think to do my legs since I *usually* don’t burn on my legs too bad. I learned my lesson 😉

YES! I LOVE tubing down the river. All through high school my friend and I would do that during the summer. We’d hop in by her grandmas house and we’d float down near her house and her mom would pick us up a few hours later! We also would drag the canoe down there and canoe down the river — so fun! I actually found another river where you can rent tubes that I want to try this summer.

Loving the idea of the deck, and also the greek salads — inspiration for the week! (minus the deck haha)

Reply to Jennifer

Hi, Jennifer!!

OH MY GOSH! So jealous of your weekend. HOW FUN!

lol Becca literally had 70 SPF on her legs and covered them half the ride downt he river and she was FRIED!!! lol sounds like you guys have delicate skin 🙂

You should totally go tubing this summer! The tubes we found were only 35 on amazon! May be cheaper to buy instead of just rent!

o xo xo

• Carly

Floating the river sounds like so much fun! I’ve spent an afternoon in a river that had people floating by with coolers, but never actually floated myself… great idea to add to the ever growing bucket list!

BTW I’m loving the walking challenge and my pup Moose is too!

I also completely agree about Cards Against Humanity! We had a going away party recently with a group that didn’t know each other very well and the game is SO funny and ridiclous that ten mintues in everyone was laughing and acting like they had been friends for years!

I LOVE your target top and happend to buy one that is super similar at Marshalls last week! Such a perfect summer top!

And your new deck is beautiful and I absoutly LOVE the blue rug! SO cute!

This weekend I hung out with my mom and husband. Baking, gardening, shopping and drinking sangria completed our weekend! Hope you had fun floating the river!

Reply to Carly

Totally do it.

The challenge is so great for getting the pups out and yourself out for sure!

thank you for all the kind words!!!!

HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT WEEK

• Amanda G.

Tubing is THE best when I lived in Boone we would go all the time to this great place along the New River. Would love to hear where you end up going around Charlotte, I need some more tubing trips in my life because I miss it so much!

Reply to Amanda G.
  • Ninaa

That’s so cool that you and your dad are building a deck. I cannot wait to see what it looks like!

Reply to Ninaa
  • Monique

Your food always looks so delicious…. and your dogs are always really well groomed. My groodle is constantly rolling in dust!

Reply to Monique
  • Linda @ the Fitty

The last time I went tubing was 2 years ago in China! Oh my gosh I wanna say thank goodness I was a little chubby because the rocks were sharp and I mightve bruised myself otherwise!

Reply to Linda @ the Fitty
  • Gabby

So healthy girl!

Reply to Gabby
  • Denise

Your coffee and salad always inspires me when I’m at the grocery store.

Reply to Denise
  • Vanessa

What are you doing this weekend?
    It will all be about relaxing! Got a new haircut today and cooked amazing risotto for dinner, and tomorrow I’ll spend the day at the beach to get some tan 🙂

Have you ever been tubing down a river?
    No, but it sounds like so much fun!

Reply to Vanessa
  • Isabella

Are you traveling anytime soon? I love your travel photography.

Reply to Isabella
  • Amanda Frazier | The Light Owl

Tubing down the river is super fun! Don’t drink too much! I made that mistake once. When you’re floating and baking in the sun, the alcohol seems to affect you a lot quicker. Let’s just say I couldn’t stand up afterward the first time I did it haha! Today we are kayaking down the river and having a picnic lunch, so sorta similar! Should be fun!

Reply to Amanda Frazier | The Light Owl
  • Anonymous

Did your dad build your bed too?

Reply to Anonymous
  • Doreen

Good morning, I’m going tubing Down the salt river in AZ! I used to tube this with becca, have a fabulous weekend ladies

Reply to Doreen
  • Becky @ abeaslife.wordpress.com

Taralynn! I love your Canada mug!! Its so cute. I love the shout out!!

Reply to Becky @ abeaslife.wordpress.com
  • Jane

Hi!

I don’t know what I prefer between the pups and your food when I read your recaps ^^

It’s very hot here, so I’m spending my weekend complaining about how hot I am and how much I hate that weather. Maybe I’ll go to the river with my boyfriend, he knows all the right spots (and he’ll bring me some fresh fruits – the only snack I tolerate when it’s hot outside)

I like tubing! It’s a fun activity in the summer! Every activity including water is a must for me (I can’t run if it’s too hot, I faint due to the heat :/ )

Reply to Jane

I’m glad you like the pups because I’m obsessed with them. lol

lol that sounds like a good weekend!!!

Totally dont run in this heat at all! June is the best in the south. It’s so nice here!

• Helen

Reply to Helen
  • Harriet

Great recap! And yes this week has gone so fast! I can’t believe tha half a year has nearly gone by! The deck is looking great, I bet Leo and grumbles will love it! This weekend I am going to my first park run then paint some vintage petrol tins up to swap for a vw car motor, might go to the hot pools for a swim as well. We go tubing down a rivers each summer it’s awesome, we tie 5 tubes together with the cooler in the centre and set off for the day. Hope you have a fantastic weekend!

Reply to Harriet

Hi, Harriet!

The time is going by so fast that it’s almost scary. The older I get, the faster it goes!

Leo and Grumples are obsessed with the deck! Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned 🙂 Can’t wait to hear all about it!

This is my first time tubing down a river! I’ve gone in a boat, but not like this!

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Love your recap posts. I think it’s so sweet how much you love your dogs. 🙂

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Reply to Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
  • esther

1. this weekend I am catching up on homework and gym time (I clocked in all that weekend fun time during the week for my friends bday celebrations) but
    2. yes! I’ve tubed down a few rivers/springs and you MUST reapply that sunscreen! once you break out the booze taking care of in-general responsibilities goes down the tube-hehe- but seriously! the most burnt I’ve been has been from trips like this. But they are the BEST:) have fun!!

Reply to esther

Sounds like a productive weekend!

Oh, I’ll be putting 50 on every part of my body! No burns for this girl. I made a mistake of missing spots on my stomach and legs in Hawaii and I am literally still peeling.

Thanks for the healthy reminder!

• Ashton Jury

Girl you almost gave me a heart attack, when you said ‘Kyle and I decided to go our separate ways… with food choices lol’ I just saw the first part! Unfortunately I’m working this weekend, but I just had a week off to travel to Wyoming and Mount Rushmore, and tonight I am going to the Ice cream Museum in LA! I can’t wait, I’m so excited! I have been tubing before it is amazing, and just so relaxing. There is a great place in Arizona that you start on one end and its a giant circle that loops you back to your car, we’re planning on trying to go to Havasu this year since it’s been a while. Usually I just live at the beach since I’m lucky enough to live in Southern California and walking distance from the beach.

Reply to Ashton Jury

Hi, Ashton!

Noooooooo lol Kyle and I are NOT separating lol Love him so much it hurts :):):)

OMG, I really want to go back and travel out west. I did the Wyoming and Mount Rushmore trip when I was in Middle school!! so much fun. Ice cream museum in LA?!?! WHUTTTT. Is this a thing? I need to check it out when I go to LA!

Ohhhh that sounds like so much fun in AZ! I may have to check that out!

• Olivia

Taralynn,

Loved this post, as usual! All your dog walking has inspired me to get out and walk my pups more! My dog, like grumples, is very large and will occasionally get joint pain. My vet recommended a joint supplement and I have noticed a large difference already. Hope this can be of help to you!

Reply to Olivia

Thank you, Olivia!!

The dogs love it so much. We do longer ones in the cool mornings, shorter ones after lunch, and long ones at night! I have Grumples on a joint supplement and it does seem to help ,but I may need to give him more because of his size. What brand do you use for your dog?

• Olivia

Currently we are using Cosequin DS and I have to give him 3 a day, but he’s about 120 lbs. Joint issues are the only down side to having a big pup 🙁

Reply to Olivia
  • Susie @ Mile High Dreamers

We just tried Halo top for the first time (I’ve been dying to get some since I saw it in a post of yours) and oh my goodness! Game changer! Thanks for introducing us to this magical deliciousnesss.

I really hope Grumples is feeling better. There are few things in this world that stress me out and break my heart more than seeing my fur baby hurting :(.

This weekend we’ll probably have a pool day (it’s getting hot in CO!) and maybe even go tubing down Boulder creek!

I’ve gone before here in CO and in Guatemala too. So fun! But never in a tube with a cooler, that’s the way to go! Have fun!

Reply to Susie @ Mile High Dreamers

Oh, it’s so good. I love that almost all grocery stores carry it now! FINALLY 😀 What flavor did you choose? I think vanilla bean is still my fave.

Grumples is back to normal, but it’s so stressful.

Ohhhhh sounds like so much fun! I really need to make it to CO soon.

lol thank you so much!

• Katie

Love the deck! I really want to build one at our house sometime soon!

No weekend plans so far! My husband has to work and I usually feel guilty doing fun things without him, so I will probably just work around the house and yard and hope he gets off early Sunday so we can do something fun!

I have been tubing down a river before. SO MUCH FUN! You will love it. Especially if there are drinks involved! Have fun!

Reply to Katie
  • Shannen

Sounds like a nice relaxing week! I’m already looking forward to next weeks hot weather(it’s going to be 80-90) so I can swim and lay out next to my pool.
    I’m sorry Grumples hasn’t been feeling well. My dog tends to get sore legs/hips when we walk a lot.
    Tubing sounds fun! I hope you and Becca have a good time!

Reply to Shannen
  • Tara S.

We are remodeling our master bathroom this weekend, it has been an ongoing project for a few weeks now. My husband and I along with my oldest daughter went tubing last summer and have decided to make it a yearly thing and plan on going again in August! It was a blast! I’d recommend not getting off the tube unless you’re near the edge of the river, my husband and I got off a couple times to help our daughter and ended up in a huge hole and as soon as we got off the tube went right under!

Reply to Tara S.

Oh, that’ll be so much fun!!!

Glad you enjoy tubing, I’m so excited!!!!! That is scary and we really do NOT plan on getting off the tubes lol

• Natalie

Hey Taralynn,

Never commented before until now 🙂 As always, loved this recap post. Your dinner of cod and roasted carrots had me drooling when I saw it on your insta, and that shirt you got at Target is adorable and looks fab on you!

This weekend I’m planning on getting some good runs in, having a bonfire with a few friends, and then hitting the pool if possible. I’ve never been tubing down a river, but I definitely wish i was doing that too this weekend. That sounds amazing! Have a blast!

Reply to Natalie

Hi, Natalie!!

Thank you so much & I’m glad you stopped by to comment!

I filled the freezer with Cod from the market last week and I can’t wait to cook it all up! The cod was the lucky winner last time 🙂

Bon fires <3 so fun.

xo xo

• Maxi

I truly enjoy reading your weekly recaps! I’m planning in a lot of walks, since I was traveling a bit and had difficulty getting mileage in. We’re also having a Chocolate & Cream Spa night with some ladies tonight and tomorrow, which I’m looking forward to. Add some thrifting, blogging, reading, baking, and watching movies and that’s my weekend!

Reply to Maxi
  • Gloria

Wow, your dogs sure do have a lot of stamina! My dog is getting old now (about to turn 14!) so she maxes out at about 3 miles a day. I love all your dog walking pics!

I was wondering about your running-burnout after the half. I am currently shopping around half marathon training plans, trying to run my first race this December. Is there anything you wish you had done differently while training? Run more or less, harder or easier? I want to make sure to stay healthy and injury-free as I prepare for this race, and would love to hear any tips or thoughts you might have.

Thanks for another great blog post, and hope your day is going well!

Reply to Gloria

WOW! 14? Yeah, my dogs are still pretty young! 6 years (grumps) & 9 months (leo!)

I think maybe just recover better. I didn’t spend all the time stretching/icing as I should have! IT’S SO IMPORTANT to recover!

I tend to overtrain if I run more, so my running coach told me to run less during the week. I could also already run 10-11 miles before my training plan, so that helped.

• Jaime

1. This weekend I’m spending time with the Little Sister I mentor through Big Brothers Big Sisters. We’re going to have a nice walk along the river in Philly and do a picnic lunch. Then I’m driving straight to the beach – my parents rented a house right on the ocean in NJ for the week – I can only stay until Tuesday because of work but I’m looking forward to it!
    2. YES. Everyone tubes down the Delaware in the town I grew up in an hour north of Philly…you wouldn’t want to tube in the river once it hits Philly lol. It’s so much fun and so relaxing! I actually just rafted down the Jordan River in Israel…it was so much fun!

Reply to Jaime
  • Jocelyn

Hi Taralynn,

I have such a random question for you—-where did you get the doodle picture that you have above your fireplace? I LOVE it!!!

Reply to Jocelyn
  • Alison

Your recaps make my mornings so much better! Can’t wait to see what you do with the deck.

Alison <3

Reply to Alison
  • Kristen

Love your posts! It’s awesome how your parents moved so close to you now 🙂

Going to go out for drinks with my coworkers tonight and brunch on Sunday with my boyfriends family!

I thought I was going on a tubing/camping trip in Missouri, but when we got there it turned out to be canoes! We canoed for 18 miles and it was a ton of work!!!

Have fun!!!!!!

Reply to Kristen
  • Kayleigh

You’re building your own deck?! Amazing! I hope you have a tutorial when you post about it!

Reply to Kayleigh
  • Carlee

I’ve been floating down a river…is that the same thing?! So fun–and adult beverages are a must, so have that merlot girl 😉
    This weekend is spent exploring Kansas City while I’m living here for the next month or so!
    Thanks for all the healthy eats inspiration!

Reply to Carlee