Prosciutto & Fig Mascarpone Baguettes With Balsamic

It was 90 and sunny yesterday, but 50 and rainy today? How does that happen!? Instead of going for a walk this morning, I sat inside drinking coffee and cleaning out my computer’s photo albums. As I was going through older folders, I found one with a recipe that I forgot to post last spring. I wasn’t going to blog this weekend, but it only made sense to post a quick recipe since I’ll be stuck inside for the rest of this rainy day.

When I was in D.C. last spring, we went to one of my favorite spots for dinner, Founding Farmers. We ordered “table farm bread” as an appetizer (Picture of restaurant starter is above.) The toasted bread was topped with prosciutto, figs, mascarpone and balsamic. The combination was so delicious and I wanted to recreate it when I got home. It was such an easy appetizer to make and it would be great for a last-minute party snack.
All you need: French Baguette, Mascarpone, Prosciutto, Figs, and Balsamic. I actually mixed fig balsamic with regular balsamic, but that is optional.

Prosciutto & Fig Baguettes With Balsalmic

When I was in D.C. last spring, we went to one of my favorite spots for dinner, Founding Farmers. We ordered “table farm bread” as an appetizer (Picture of restaurant starter is above.) The toasted bread was topped with prosciutto, figs, mascarpone and balsamic. The combination was so delicious and I wanted to recreate it when I got home. It was such an easy appetizer to make and it would be great for a last-minute party snack.

Course Appetizer
Servings 20 Slice
Calories 130 kcal
Author Taralynn McNitt

Ingredients

• 1 Whole Grain French Baguette
  • Plain Mascarpone
  • 10 Slices Prosciutto
  • 1 Cup Dried Figs
  • Balsamic (I used fig flavor)

Instructions

1. Slice the baguettes into squares. Place the squares on a baking sheet and bake for ten minutes at 300 degrees.

2. Spread the mascarpone over the baguette, and top with prosciutto, fig slices, and a drizzle of balsamic.

ENJOY!

So quick and tasty for parties. These are so good with red wine 😉

Another one of my favorite last minute party starters are these smoked salmon baguettes with lemon garlic cream cheese! You can find the recipe here!

Questions for you!

What is your favorite last-minute party snack?
Prosciutto or Smoked Salmon?

Comments

• Hannah

These were a hit at my graduation!

Reply to Hannah
  • Anonymous

Made these! So good. I used cream cheese instead of marscarpone.

Reply to Anonymous
  • Leigh

Hi Taralynn,

I love this post especially and I can’t wait to try this! I am so in love with all of the pictures you post and how colorful everything is! That pop of color always puts a smile on my face! I should tell you that you inspired me years ago to start blogging – I struggled with finding my “niche” in the blogging world for awhile but I’ve finally found my way and I’ve had a very successful year! Thanks for always being positive, colorful, and inspiring!! 🙂

Reply to Leigh

What’s the difference between cream cheese and mascarpone??

American cream cheese is made of milk and cream. Mascarpone is an Italian cream cheese. Mascarpone has a mild flavor, it’s lighter and sometimes almost tasteless.

• Gabrielle

My last minute snack / app is queso and chips. Its so easy to put into the crockpot and get on the road to the party. But I love this idea and will have to do this at the next party! Thanks so much! I think I would do the Prosciutto but love salmon!!! 🙂 Thanks so much! This past weekend I made the Cinnamon Honey Snack mix and wow, it is so good. Its hard to stop eating haha. Thanks again! Love it!

Reply to Gabrielle
  • Liz

These look delicious!

xo, Liz

Reply to Liz
  • Jenn

These look INSANELY good! Typically when I throw parties, I class things up with some frozen chicken nuggets and dipping sauces 🙂

I’ve actually never had smoked salmon, but I love prosciutto! I added it to my homemade pasta sauce and it gave it a really awesome extra flavor!

Reply to Jenn
  • Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Thanks for the recipe, Taralynn! These look really good and make for great tiny bites!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Reply to Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
  • Juliette | Namastay Traveling

Love the salty sweet combo! And these look beautiful to serve too. Yum!

Reply to Juliette | Namastay Traveling
  • Sara

I get those every time we eat at Founding Farmers! I will have to try your recipe.

Reply to Sara
  • Carly

These look SO good! I’m so glad you posted it! Adding to my inspiration for my grocery shopping tomorrow!

My favorite last minute party appetizer is either chips, salsa, and guac or a cheese and cracker platter depending on the party! I also love orange chicken from Costco… cook it up and stick them with tooth picks and it’s a great store warm starter!

I usually always go for smoked salmon because sometimes prosciutto gets to be too salty for me!

Reply to Carly
  • Rebecca

I love using baguettes to make caprese bites! Just put a slice of tomato& fresh mozzarella& a basil leaf on the toasted bread and drizzle with balsamic! So delish! 🙂

Reply to Rebecca
  • Dana

I live near an Asian market that sells Masago (California Roll caviar), so I buy some of that, and put it on cucumber slices with some sour cream.

I love both, so I can’t pick!

Reply to Dana
  • Emily

The restaurant version looks like balsamic reduction instead of balsamic vinegar. The reduction has a more intense flavor and isn’t as drippy. Totally giving this a try! It looks awesome!

Reply to Emily
  • Carrie this fit chick

These are incredible combos. I freakin’ love died figs with balsamic! I hardly ever eat smoked salmon since it’s pricey, but it’s such a treat. If I had to choose, I would go with salmon, but can’t go wrong with prosciutto!

My favorite last minute party snack are probably stuffed mushrooms!

Reply to Carrie this fit chick

Thanks, Carrie!!

Kyle LOVES figs too. I made him slice all of them over again because he kept eating them lol

I agree, but it all depends on what you’re making!

I can’t do mushrooms, but I sometimes make the stuffed mushrooms for my family!