“Blowing Out Someone Else’s Candle Won’t Make Yours Shine Brighter”

Hey, Guys!

Hope you’re having a wonderful Tuesday. Today’s post is totally different from what you usually find here, but after chatting with a few of my friends and readers, I was convinced to write it.

On Sunday night, I was really excited to receive an email from a local Charlotte blog that I read regularly. The writer said my blog was “actually the first blog [she’d] ever read” and that she was “so blown away by [my] honesty and courage when it comes to putting it all out there.” She wanted to ask me a few questions for a piece she was working on, and I was pretty excited to contribute. Little did I know that I would put hours into answering some of her questions, only for her to quote a few of my words under entirely different questions on her piece.

I feel like if you’re going to be a journalist, at least be honest. There was no reply back and the article was posted without notifying me. I feel as if I put myself out there, was vulnerable, answered questions, and they were used to benefit her, without showing the real content behind it.

The beauty of having a blog is that I can share the truth, and let you guys see the real questions and my honest answers so that you don’t’ get mislead by some silly article.

I live my life as full as I can, surround myself with positive people AND SHARE struggles. She forgot to mention that. But why would she? It didn’t fit her article’s needs. Yes, my photos are a bit brighter and colorful, but since when did that become a crime? I’m not sure if I’m doing anything different than their Instagram? Only they have a lot of writers, and it’s only me on this end.

Questions & Answers!

1. How long have you had a presence on the internet, and as of today, how many platforms are you on?

My social media presence started back when I was a sophomore in college. It all happened by accident. I wasn’t seeking followers or looking to become a blogger. I started sharing my fitness progress on Tumblr and overnight my account went viral. I kept my account a secret from friends and family for a long time. I was sort of embarrassed to have a “following.” I was always disappearing to the coffee shop to blog or reply to comments. I have been active on social media for seven years now, and continue to use seven platforms.

2. What’s it like to live your life out for strangers all over the world to see?

It feels very normal for me now. Even people without a large social media following have jumped on the “share everything” train. Sometimes I don’t understand it. I think about all of the interesting people in this world, and question why I have gained such a large following. If I go too long without posting a recap post or sharing an imagine on social media, I have people questioning my whereabouts. Some readers compare my blog to a “Netflix binge, ” and they get frustrated when they have to wait for the next episode.  The great part of living my life as an open book for people all over the world is that I get to connect with so many incredible people. Whenever I’m struggling, my readers are ALWAYS there for me, and they always give the best life advice. Living your life out for strangers can be rewarding, but it can also be scary. You have to train yourself to take criticism, learn to ignore negativity, and stay true to who you are.

3. You’ve got 66,000+ followers on Instagram. Do you ever find yourself filtering your life to create a certain aesthetic? And if you do, does this impact the way you live in your reality?

I absolutely filter my life to create a certain aesthetic, but only in positive ways. You won’t find me staging my life and buying crazy expensive outfits for my Instagram, but you will find me posting happy and inspiring photos to make someone’s day a little better. I want my readers to feel joy when they see my photos, and I want them to get inspired to go after their own dreams. My life is pretty normal. I hang out with my friends, workout, drink wine, take my dogs on walks, cook food, and travel sometimes. I haven’t changed the way I live my life just to impress my following. I mean, you may see me jump on a chair to get a photo of my food, but to post expensive things (sent by companies) and portraying an unrealistic lifestyle is cruel. I don’t want people “wishing” they had my life. I want people to get inspired to go out and enjoy the small things. Even with my positive posts, I share real struggles. People feel more connected with you when they can relate. Feeling connected is more important to me than feeling unrelatable.

4. When looking at others’ social media feeds, have you ever found yourself comparing your own life to someone else’s in a negative light? If so, what kind thoughts did you find yourself having?

I’m so guilty of this. I do it daily, but have to quickly remind myself that social media is only half of the real story. I’ve been on several press trips and worked with many incredibly talented influencers. I was intimidated to meet a couple of them after browsing their social media accounts and making judgments on how they were going to be. Every time, I’m shocked at how normal and real they are in person (I actually liked them better irl.) This reminds me to stay down to earth on social media and keep it real. I’ve learned to follow other accounts that I can relate to, and get inspired from. I want to jump on social media in the morning and feel happy, not discouraged or feel like I can’t live up to a particular lifestyle. I can’t stand to follow accounts that flaunt “perfection.” I think that is what’s wrong with society. The best way to avoid those negative thoughts is to filter it. If something triggers you to feel insecure, or not enough, unfollow. Get it off your feed. There is nothing wrong with cleaning your feed from unrealistic goals. I could tell you to ignore it, but we are human. Out of sight, out of mind.

5. Tell me a little bit about both the positives and negatives that you’ve found come from social media being such a constant in your life.

The obvious positive is that I have made it into a career. I’m 26 years old and I just purchased my first home thanks to social media. My blog has allowed me to make a living doing something that I love. It has allowed me to meet people from all over the world, and I get to help women who have struggled with the same issues as I have. Whenever I get an email from someone who is seeking help, I know that my blog serves a bigger purpose. It forces me to stay creative and pushes me to enjoy life. Hearing that my blog gives someone else joy, brings a smile to my face. My blog makes me happy and that’s one of the best positive.

There will always be negatives to everything that you do in life. Social media is no different. The social media world is my job, so I can’t just delete it when I’m frustrated or when something upsets me. Sometimes you have to learn how just to suck it up. I wouldn’t recommend the social media world to anyone who is over sensitive. It can be a very rewarding job, but also a cruel one and you have to have the thick skin to handle it. I’ve been called every nasty word in the dictionary at this point, and it affects me zero. When new bloggers ask me how I handle it, I tell them that they have to learn to ignore it and toughen up. You can’t let people get to you, or you’ll spend to much time investing your emotions in the wrong people. Pay attention to the people that lift you up. Those are the ones that deserve your attention.

Sometimes people don’t understand how my content pays for my bills, but it’s actually shocking how much you can make from blogging if you put in the work. Oh, and it’s work. It can get frustrating when people don’t understand how much time and effort you have to put into it. You’re always working, and it’s hardly every shut-off. I wake up at six am every day, start working, and sometimes don’t shut my computer down until midnight.

There are also safety concerns that you have to be aware of. Nothing is private. Even when you think it is, think again. You have to be careful about posting your whereabouts, people love to search public records for information about you, and sometimes people just want to know everything and will go to the extremes to find it. I have had some very scary run-ins, but that’s a whole new book to talk about, so I’ll leave it at that. Even if you don’t have a large social media following, be careful anyways!

Please let me know if you need anything else,

Taralynn!

“He couldn’t be more different than Taralynn McNitt, a 26-year-old Charlotte-based blogger whose life and career revolves around her social media presence”  YIKES. SAY WHAT?

She screenshotted this portion of my Instagram feed to find a section that fit her story. If the captions were read, she’d realize that was one of my worst weeks. That photo of Leo and I was when I was vulnerable with my readers and asking for prayers because he was hospitalized with a serious virus after his surgery.

I understand that I didn’t have to write this and it would have been better for me to just leave it alone, but as an eating disorder survivor, victim of sexual assault, victim of bullying, and physical abuse, I won’t stand for people to ever bring me down in a negative light. I have worked so hard to build myself up over the years, and get to the place of peace and happiness. Not everyone living with depression and struggles has to constantly post dark stuff on Instagram and social media. Have you ever thought that maybe posting happier and inspiring posts is a form of recovery?

Anyways. I’m heading out for my last run before my first half marathon. I’m excited that it’s finally time and I’ve worked so hard to get here! Especially through all the struggles. Just remember THAT YOU CAN do anything you set your mind to. Always stand up for yourself & THANK YOU guys for always lifting me up and bringing so much LIGHT to my life.

xo xo xo

Comments

• Emily

Hi, Taralynn! I’ve been following your blog for, gosh, like 4 years now? And you’ve always been so classy when it comes to these things, which I really admire. I respect your heart and character, and reminding us that it’s never the right thing to do to sink to someone else’s level. Thank you for your continued inspiration!

Reply to Emily
  • lablune

You go girl! You are such an inspiration <3

Reply to lablune
  • Caleigh

You are incredible Taralynn! Your posts absolutely brighten my day. Thank you for working so hard and being an inspiration to SO many people. Good for you for standing up for yourself and not letting the haters ruin your day!<3

Reply to Caleigh
  • Sara

I’m so proud of you for writing this! You are actually the first blog that I started to read, I’m not just saying that! And I’ve followed your journey here and there for the past few years. When I’m feeling undisciplined or needing some salad inspiration I pop on here and read a few updates.
    I absolutely despise bullying, I hate dishonesty and I loathe tactics used to silence and dis-empower people, especially women. So good on you for speaking out against this, please don’t ever apologise or think twice about using your platform to call people out on their sh*tty behaviour. This idea that we should ignore or turn a blind eye to abuse or to unfair treatment is completely absurd in my opinion, and I would encourage everyone to speak out, and loudly, when they’re treated with injustice – regardless of how minor or seemingly insignificant.

You’re a great role model, Taralynn. Keep going, and don’t ever stop posting bright and happy pictures! 🙂

Reply to Sara
  • Rachel

I thought the article was fine! You weren’t portrayed negatively and I don’t think anyone will think that you were. Anyways, good luck on your half and remember, having fun is more important than the time!

Reply to Rachel
  • Hailey

Taralynn,
    I just wanted to express my gratitude towards you and your blog. You’ve been an inspiration to me, ESPECIALLY in times of darkness. I think you are such an amazing role model, and we need more people like you on social media. I’m sorry this happened to you. Thank you for always being a source of positivity and inspiration in so many women’s lives.
    Good luck on your half marathon!

Reply to Hailey
  • Paige

I read your blog often and have for years. I want you to know this post came at such a perfect time. I have been going through a very similar situation in my own line of work – a person who took a kind thing I did (going above and beyond much like yourself) and tried to turn it into something else. Since Monday I have been incredibly down, even to the point of questioning my career choice. As I read through your post I found myself rereading the following lines “I won’t stand for people to ever bring me down in a negative light. I have worked so hard to build myself up over the years, and get to the place of peace and happiness.” This. So. Much. This. I won’t let this person bring me down. Tomorrow I am going to take steps to get back to my place of peace and happiness. I’m not sure what that involves, it may be confronting the person or just allowing myself to let it go, but whatever it is, I promise myself not to let it crush my spirit anymore. Thank you.

Reply to Paige
  • Lindsay

Which half marathon are you running this weekend? I just ran my 9th one earlier this month. Good luck and ENJOY IT!

Reply to Lindsay
  • Brittany

I am a *fairly* new reader to your blog, and I have stayed because I appreciate and can relate to how real and honest you are — I love both the happy/inspiring posts and the “this is real life” posts. It’s extremely frustrating to have your words twisted around — I am impressed on how you are handling the situation and how it is not affecting you — not always easy!

I thought about trying to find the whole piece in the Charlotte blog, and then I quickly decided that it didn’t need one more hit and was not worth my time… but, you know, it’s a good thing that journalists never “filter” their pieces ever #hypocritical

Keep being you – I certainly appreciate and enjoy your realness …. and, of course, all the puppy pictures 😀 #dogmom

Reply to Brittany
  • Kelly

As someone who has been following you since the tumblr days I am very disappointed that you have to go through this. I’m so proud of you for taking the time to clarify the situation since so many people DO look up to you- such as myself. Thank you for always sharing ups and downs of your life. As a 25 year old girl I find you incredibly relatable and inspirational. I love looking at your pictures and blog posts when I’m feeling down or uninspired! So from 1 reader’s perspective- keep doing you girl!

Reply to Kelly
  • Kristin

I love your honesty in this post! That is not fair to you that your answers were not used correctly. On the flip side, I loved reading your full answers. I always love seeing how people got their start and you breaking down your life as a blogger was great!

Reply to Kristin
  • Deepa

I’m so sorry this happened to you! I had to read the article after reading this and I can understand why you weren’t comfortable with it. Your blog has always been nothing but real and honest and such a HUGE inspiration to me to share my personal struggles on my blog & youtube. I love the fact that you are just you and don’t try to be anything else. Makes the rest of us comfortable with being who we are, flaws and all!

Reply to Deepa
  • Jen

Hi! I have to say, I read the article, and I don’t think it portrays you negatively at all. Coming from your perspective it may seem that way, but maybe you will be comforted to know that I didn’t read it as a negative portrayal at all.
    There is an NPR podcast called “The Hidden Brain” and there was a somewhat recent episode about social media, how people portray their “best selves” on it, and how it basically creates FOMO. Reading this article really reminded me of that podcast, and you might want to take a listen as someone who is so heavily involved in social media as you are. I enjoyed it. Good luck in your half this weekend. It’s my favorite distance!

Reply to Jen
  • Lauren

I have been following you for years and have always looked at you for inspiration in leading a better, healthier life. For anyone to say anything negative about what you’re doing, is just mean. You were actually the first blog I started following. Maybe it’s because we are similar in age. Maybe it’s because you are so real and relatable. Maybe it is because of all the awesome recipes I’ve been stealing over the years and claiming them as my own to my friends and family ;). For whatever reason, you are an inspiration to me and I have even introduced your blog to friends that have also enjoyed reading about your adventures and life struggles. Keep doing what you’re doing because it’s working!

Reply to Lauren
  • Rachel @ Better LIVIN

Did you write to her editor? That is so shady for her to misrepresent what you said like that. You were smart to share your real answers. 🙂

Reply to Rachel @ Better LIVIN
  • Paige

I am actually from Charlotte so I had a pretty good idea what blog you were talking about based on your descriptions, so I had to go take a look. I had recently unfollowed them on Social Media because I felt as though many of their articles had taken a pretty negative turn. I’m sorry she took your words and very clearly twisted them! What she wrote in the article compared to what your actual answers were paints such a different picture of who you are and what you are about. I have been following you since my 2011 Tumblr days and you have always had such an honest and positive presence. Thank you for being you and keep on keepin on!

Reply to Paige
  • Jella

I really liked this post. Sometimes you really have to speak up when someone does you wrong. But I love how well you cope with it and always try to see the positive. You can apply that to life in general and you are doing that already.
    I love reading your blog, for all the reasons you just mentioned you write it for
    . You seem like a down-to-earth girl, so natural, beautiful inside and out, happy, life-loving. And that is just inspirational and makes my day every time I read it. Keep doing what you are doing.
    I loved Charleston when I came to visit in March, so beautiful!!

Good luck with your half marathon, mine is on Sunday as well, and even though I have ran 3 halfs before, this is my first that I will be running on my own and it kind of scares me. But doing things that scare you is always a good thing, right? So, I will head out for a last long run also….

Reply to Jella
  • Nicci

I’ve just read the article and the author comes across as trying to justify her own filtering of her life specifically for ‘likes’. It’s a shame she’s twisted your words to fit her article, rather than acknowledging that social media can be more than a popularity contest. I think it’s important to have people inspiring us to do more and be more and to show that you can be happy, despite life’s struggles. That’s why I keep coming back to your blog – you present your life honestly and you inspire me. Keep up the great work xx

Reply to Nicci
  • Beth

I love your blog! I totally binge read it?
    You’re the reason I have the courage to lose my baby weight for the second time… n becca! That girl is so inspiring! Thanx! Keep making people happpy❤️

Reply to Beth
  • Sal

Well said, you’re an inspiration to many. Keep being you and we all have to remember not to let others bring us down!! 🙂

Reply to Sal
  • Katie

I’m so sorry this happened to you. I was a broadcast journalism major in college and can’t imagine making something up just to tell a story. You are such an inspiration to others and make me personally want to keep pushing through to reach my goals.

Good luck in the half marathon! You are going to do amazing!

Reply to Katie
  • Bobbie

I read your blog daily. Your posts really do brighten my day. People need that these days with be the negativity in our society. Sometimes your blog is a reminder to spend more time with my mom. Some days I think I should go for a run or get outdoors. These are all things that your blog encourages me to do. Just a reminder on the important things. So you are appreciated! Keep shining your light.

Reply to Bobbie
  • liuye

Hi!Tara!
    first half marathon is coming!! R you Ready > < I bet U are!! lol enjoy and relax!YOU ARE THE BEST!
    I love this article, I just do love it,no other words,I have to back to hard-studying,Thesedays I have read a book called【 7000 most-used English vacabulary】 I need handle them as soon as possible,Someday I go aboard ,I don't need translators ! 🙂

Reply to liuye
  • Rachel

I’m sorry that this happened to you! I think you handled it great though. Don’t let anyone still your sunshine! I look forward to reading your posts! Good luck on your half this weekend! You got this!

Reply to Rachel
  • Cassidy

You are such an inspiration in so many ways. From a healthy lifestyle, fitness, and travels to sharing your struggles (which is not easy), you are always shining a positive light. I always look forward to reading your blog. You are beautiful on the inside and especially the out. Stay strong, and keep up the positive outlook!

On a side note, best of luck on your first half marathon! Can’t wait to read about it! I know all your readers will be thinking about you and cheering you on as well! 🙂

Reply to Cassidy
  • Jennifer

You are incredible, and people suck. Especially people who you love to follow and you find out they’re really not that great. I LOVE the positivity you spread and you inspire me everyday! And I do have to say… I’ve been LOVING the recent aesthetic of your blog and insta… SO COLORFUL AND I LOVE IT. That’s all. 🙂

Reply to Jennifer
  • Brooklyn

I’ve been following along with you since before you even had this blog (hello tumblr!) and I’ve always thought you were real and honest. It makes your readers connect with you easier and want to come back to see what the next post will be.
    I think you were right in posting this and no one can fault you.

Good luck on your marathon!!!!

Reply to Brooklyn
  • Phyllis

I got your back girl! I love your blog, love your lifestyle, positive attitude, and the pups of course. I love your decorating, am amazed with you artistic work, both in paintings, photos, and woodwork you do with your dad. I love the energy you have. I’m older than your mom amd yet you inspire me to push harder. To be kinder. To be more positive. And of course to eat healthier. You don’t have to share everything. But I love that you do share both the ups and downs of your life. I love your free spirit, amd sense of adventure. I LOVE YOU!! Don’t ever change, not for a man, not for a critic, not for anyone. Don’t ever let anyone make you feel less than. xxxooo

Reply to Phyllis
  • Shannen

Some people just don’t respect others. They are willing to put someone else down so that they can step on them to reach their own goals. It’s disgusting. People need to enouceage each other and help one another.
    You have an amazing story of overcoming so much, and a wonderful platform to share it on. Over the years, your stories have helped me through some tough times of my own. So thank you for that!
    I hope that whoever she was, the journalist will see her mistake and will change her writing style.

Reply to Shannen
  • Jennifer

I usually don’t comment (actually I’ve never posted on a blog) but felt an urge to second all your thoughts and let you know I love your blog 🙂 Idk what particularly I love about it, but I like reading your posts! Maybe it’s encouraging knowing there’s someone similar to me, I like to run and be active but also go out with my girlfriends for wine and pizza and your blog offers balance! I’m glad you stood up for yourself instead of letting this pass. It’s hard to do! It’s so easy for us to talk ourselves out of the way we feel bc women typically don’t like confrontation. I think you stood up for yourself in a respectable way. Thank you & I hope you keep it up 🙂

Reply to Jennifer
  • Susie

Giving you a big virtual hug ((( )))! I read many blogs, and although I am 10 years older than you and married with three kids, I can relate to you on many levels. Your passion for health and happiness is contagious and I want to thank you for being a positive influence on me. Keep doing you, girl, because you are pretty damn awesome!

Reply to Susie
  • Autumn

Taralynn,
    I’m so sorry this happened to you! We all know where your heart truly lies and how hard it has probably been to tell parts of your story. You’re so incredibly brave and as someone who has dealt with all of those things you listed, I admire your bravery for sharing your story.

Reply to Autumn
  • Mackenzie

Ohhh my lanta- girlll, I saw that article and was sick in the pit of my stomach. I have been following your blog for years, and as basically everyone else has said, your blog is SO real and vulnerable– so the way this individual just nonchalantly misleadingly spoke about what you are all about- not cool. You pour your heart and soul into inspiring others; you selflessly and bravely share parts of your life- why? To help OTHER people, which you do with every.single.post. Your “following” she refers to, while a nice size number, follow you not because you “filter” your life, but because of basically the opposite- your ability to say “life is beautiful, but it’s also painful, but let’s all choose to find the beauty together”. That’s what your blog has spoke to me over the years, anyway. I could go on- but I need to stop writing a novel. PS. I loved your full answers. Now go rock that race, Chica! I know you will do amazing! XO

Reply to Mackenzie

Thank you, Mackenzie!!!! I’m glad you felt that way when you read it too, it totally gave me a gut punch! I appreciate all of your kind words and always love getting comments from you!! xo xo

• Holly Sperling

Hey Tara,

I’ve been following your blog for years! I was with you in your early tumblr days and along for your journey over the years. I’ve always loved reading your posts and seeing all your photos. I’m so sorry people are trying to bring you down, I can’t imagine how frustrating that is. I’ve always admired how you handle negative feedback and embody a positive attitude. I hope you know how much support you have cheering you on from the sidelines 🙂

Reply to Holly Sperling
  • Sharni

You’ve handled this experience so graciously and I honestly applaud you for that! Never underestimate the impact you have on your readers lives – your blog posts always inspire me to live a healthier and happier life.

Sharni // http://www.agirlandgrey.com

Reply to Sharni
  • Jamie

I’m sorry that this horrible writer did this to you, that is so unprofessional and disgusting. I’m sending good vibes your way!

Have a safe trip to NYC!

Reply to Jamie
  • Tara @ Run and Live Happy

When did sharing the good times of your life become wrong? Seriously, does she think every day is a bad day? I’m glad you posted this and I think you should send it to her boss. That is pretty poor journalism if you ask me! She definitely manipulated your words and misrepresented you. Great job standing up for yourself!!

Reply to Tara @ Run and Live Happy
  • Lisa

wow she definitely had false pretenses in her interview….keep doing what you are doing! This 51 year old Nana of 6 granddaughters loves following you! Coffee, running, recipes & puppies are my favorite topics!

Reply to Lisa
  • Jordan

Hi Tara,

As a journalist, I know how it feels to be on the other side of this. I don’t think the author was trying to put you in any negative light at all. We can’t always add in every single quote, or even full sentences of quotes! We use what we think will best represent the article and get the point across easily for readers. I have also been interviewed for things and I know how it feels to take your time in wording something just how you want it, and it not even get put in the article! It is super frustrating. However, I DO think it was in bad taste that she didn’t even inform you when the article was live. That is bad journalism ethic.

I hope you don’t let this get you down too much!

Jordan

Reply to Jordan
  • Danielle Bailey

I love your blog, it’s the first and only one I’ve ever read! It’s fun, relatable and inspiring. I’ve always thought of Instagram (and other social media) as more of a form of artist expression..to me it’s always been about capturing those perfect/not so perfect life moments so I can look back at them later on and remember. It’s not about making your life look good, it’s about capturing those good life moments. And for what it’s worth, I think you’ve ALWAYS done just that. So thank you 🙂

Reply to Danielle Bailey
  • Leah

Hi taralynn,
    I’ve been reading your blog for years now and absolutely love it. It has greatly encouraged me. I am a recovering anorexic. I felt like I should comment after reading this. The article was so completely misleading. She twisted your words to fit her own benefit. You’re such an encouragement to so many people and there is nothing wrong with being uplifting and upbeat. Ignore her nonsense and good for you for standing up for yourself.

Reply to Leah
  • Katie

I also think you are missing the point of the CA article. Personally, I find it portrays you positively as to say you haven’t ran from social media as the man she mentioned did. I didn’t see anything wrong with it and I think this was unprofessional of you do to. It closes doors to other opportunities around Charlotte. CA has a large following.

Reply to Katie

I don’t need to suck up to an account because they have a lot of followers. CA gets paid to post things; they don’t give people opportunities. I had every right to voice my opinion and express my thoughts, just as they did. If I get “blacklisted” from Charlotte for this, then LOL. SO BE IT. I’m not a Charlotte blogger, I just live here.

• Katie @ Katie Wanders

Sorry to hear you are facing some negativity on the world of the internet. It is a lot easier to put someone else down or show them in the light YOU want to make your story better. The title of this post says it all.

Keep the positive attitude and good luck on your race!

Katie Wanders

Reply to Katie @ Katie Wanders
  • Lorena

I love your blog! You make it easy for people to connect with you. Everyone has ups and downs and we need people who are there to uplift us not kick us when we are down. I think your blogs represent a lot of girls who have gone through rough patches and amazing adventures and the focus point is to look at every situation with gratitude. In other words I am very happy that you are speaking up on this matter because a lot of young girl follow you and see you as an example. Keep being, sweet, kind and fierce. Good luck with all your future project girl!!

Reply to Lorena
  • Salome Donenfeld

So sorry that this happened to you Tara, but you rose above in the classiest, vulnerable, and authentic of ways. I love the blog, and keep doing what you are doing. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Salome

Reply to Salome Donenfeld
  • Ella

Hey Tara – Just wanted to let you know that I found and read the article and while it sucks that you feel that your words were twisted to fit the author’s narrative, I didn’t feel that she portrayed you negatively! I read her portrayal of you as someone whose livelihood depends upon social media, but who still sees the downsides and tries to be realistic. I’m sorry that you feel duped by the author, it must feel terrible!

Reply to Ella

Hi, Ella.

I don’t feel terrible lol, I just felt the need to share my answers. I had a lot of people reach out to me about the article and I wanted to respond.

• Anna@Actively Anna

I’m so sorry this happened to you but huge kudos to you for handling it with such grace! Some people are just ridiculous. I don’t get the point of lying/twisting words to try and bring another person down. It’s sad. You are wonderful, inspirational, and don’t ever forget it! <3

Reply to Anna@Actively Anna
  • Taylor

Hi Tara! I just read the article and it is ridiculous. The whole point you were trying to make is that you DO filter your pictures, but not unrealistically (who doesn’t?) Your captions on IG and your blog are honest and you are completely different from other bloggers that I follow. The main reason you are my favorite one to read is because you are real. You don’t make your life seem completely perfect. Even the title of her article is misleading by making it seem like you filter your life so that you get more likes from people. Absolutely absurd. I hope she sees this post, apologizes to you and either edits or deletes what she wrote. Stay strong and positive like you always are and don’t let anyone bring you down!!

Reply to Taylor

Hi, Taylor.

Thank you so much! I think the title was the first thing that set me off. It’s 2017, and if you don’t like seeing people post happier moments on Instagram, get off it. I also do NOT base my life around social media. VERY POORLY WORDED. She quoted me in all the wrong ways and I don’t like this article at all. Even where I’m not mentioned, I don’t think it’s well intended. I would have appreciated a notification that it went live or what/when she was posting instead of getting a flood of emails and DMS from people who couldn’t believe I agreed to the article. Sometimes people need to spend a little more time reading about a person before making assumptions, especially journalist. xo

• Dezie

PROUD OF YOU!

Reply to Dezie
  • Lindsey

Good for you! That article was a mess.

Reply to Lindsey
  • Anna

I’ve been reading your blog since I lost 30+ pounds in 2013. I’ve always liked it and have no problems with it. ???

Keep doing what you do! You inspire people to be healthier and many other things! I don’t see that post “inspiring” anybody any time soon. ?

Reply to Anna
  • Cecilia

I read the article, and to be honest, I think that the purpose of the article aligns with what you said. She didn’t include all of what you wrote because this article was not about you. It is about an issue that is much larger than you and your blog. Both of you agree that social media can have negative affects on people who aim for the perfection it can portray. It can have detrimental affects on people’s mental health. THAT is what the issue is and what the blog is addressing; it’s purpose was not to advertise your blog or lifestyle.

I read your blog regularly, and enjoy it. However, I think you missed the point on this post. Good luck with your half marathon!

Reply to Cecilia

Agree with that, but she mentioned me and quoted me in areas that were inaccurate. She made me look like I was a part of the problem and that my life revolves around social media, AS SHE STATED. It does not, AS I STATED. I didn’t miss the point of this post, and a lot of people agree with why I am upset about how I was portrayed. People, who have never read my blog, would look at that article and think I was the “issue” she was referring to. You have the right to your opinion, and I appreciate your comment.

• Ashley

I read the article without ever having read your blog (as I stated in a comment that never got post, even though I submitted it). As I said in my other comment, I thought it portrayed you as showing how to have a healthy balance with social media. You were used as the juxtaposition to the guy who walked away from social media. She quoted you and your ideas on how to use social media for inspiration and positivity, i.e. don’t follow negative people. She also specifically states that you “haven’t changed the way [you] live [your] life just to impress [your] following,” which implies your life does not revolve around social media and that you, unlike a lot of others, don’t specifically filter your life based upon audience (as the author admitted she does). She’s holding you out as an example of having a healthy relationship with social media, despite the fact that you’re a blogger, who, by a definition of a blogger, relies on social media to promote her brand (stated in a different way: you’re someone, who because of your job, is exposed to social media more frequently, but you’ve managed to strike a very happy, healthy balance by doing things like unfollowing negative people or people who support images of unattainable perfection). That’s my takeaway from it.

Reply to Ashley
  • Amanda|The Kitcheneer

Hi Taralynn,
    But let me quote Michelle here, “How rude!” – (Full House reference)
    Don’t let her rain on your parade. You are such a positive spirit and your blog always inspires me and puts a smile on my face.

And you will ROCK this half! I am already looking forward to your post-race post 😉

Reply to Amanda|The Kitcheneer

HAHAHA Love it & ANY 90’s ref.

Thanks for your kind words, and she definitely didn’t bring me down, I just can’t let that one slide. No one should be “called out” for posting happier content.

I think the recap will be my favorite post yet!!

• Jessica

The writer backpacks around Europe to deal with a breakup? Damn, I wish we could all afford to live like this.

Reply to Jessica
  • Amani P.

Hi there,
    I’ve been following your blog for years and just wanted to say that my days are always better when I click on a new post to read. Thank you for all the work you do and all the effort you put in! It’s refreshing having someone share the ups and downs of life in a healthy way.
    Sending good thoughts from California!

Reply to Amani P.
  • Lara

I just read that article and found your blog. I’m glad you posted this! The CA has been going downhill.

Reply to Lara
  • Lindsey

Hi Taralynn,

I’ve followed your blog and journey since you were in college. I’ve always found your recipes fun and your adventures exciting. I read your blog while sitting at my desk and wishing for Charlotte weather.

I just read the blog in question. First, I don’t think blog answered any lingering questions other news outlets haven’t already answered about the uses of social media and how filters impact our lives. Second, using quoted material under a false context can be considered plagiarism. This person really stretched your “cruel” comment to fit a narrative. Which is a shame.

I’ve found your blog to be an honest approach with your health and fitness journey. And, your blog has helped me positively throughout the years. Please, don’t let one unnecessary “blarticle”… blog + article (that’s not a word? well, it is now) keep you from doing what you do.

Reply to Lindsey

Hi, Lindsey!

Thank you for the kind words. Not sure if you would want Charlotte weather today! It’s been chilly and rainy!

I agree. If you are going to quote people, at least make it accurate. Very misleading.

lol love that word! & thank so much!

• Abby

You are a freaking rockstar. Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

Reply to Abby
  • Carlee

Thanks for sharing and being an inspiration! You’re positivity has led me, and I’m sure others, to look deeper into the people they surround thenselves with and try to make life a little brighter! I hope to meet girls like you with my move to Charlotte!

Reply to Carlee

Thanks, Carlee!!

Life CAN always be brighter if you let it be! Gotta enjoy the small things 🙂 Lets grab coffee when you move here! xo

• Carlee

YES PLEASE! All you’re coffee pics give me major FOMO!

Reply to Carlee
  • Heather @ Polyglot Jot

I’m sorry that someone twisted your words 🙁 I have enjoyed reading your blog for 4 or 5 years now and were a huge inspiration in me starting my own blog almost two years ago now. Keep doing what your doing <3

Reply to Heather @ Polyglot Jot

It’s ok! I may not be a journalist, but I can post things too!:)

The blogging world is so fun and rewarding! Glad you’re apart of it! xo

• Angela

Wow. What a great post full of honesty. Transparency and positivity are two things I look for when I consume internet content. I have always admired that even in your worst moments and hardships you always bring things back to a positive. This is just one more perfect example. Thank you for sharing this and inspiring and encouraging women to stand up for themselves and others! Together we can. Again, thank you!! Sending much love and many prayers your way for your half and everything else!

Reply to Angela
  • Brianna

I have been following your blog for probably about five years now, Taralynn, and I keep coming back to it for all of the reasons that you already know. Anyone that pulls up your website knows that you are an honest, genuine, powerful woman who is doing her best to make the world a better (and healthier!) place! That journalist doesn’t know anything. THANK YOU FOR BEING ALIVE AND DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING. WE NEED IT.

Reply to Brianna
  • Mallori

How irritating!! I follow a couple blogs and you’re life seems so real to me. I follow those blogs that will state “what a sale! You’ve GOT to get this dress for summer” just to follow the link for a dress priced at $1700!! I have close friends who blog and when I look at their IG accounts I think “lol, this isn’t her…love her…but this isn’t my friend I spend time with”- this is why I follow your blog and have for YEARS, because you’re realistic, you’re a real person, you blog about real things that inspire us (your followers!!!!!). You’re an obtainable role model for younger women. You seem to have a life outside of your internet presence. Most importantly, I have NEVER thought “she is only posting for the likes” at any of your IG posts, blogs, etc. In this generation so many people live their lives for the likes- you do not do this- you’re internet presence does nothing but inspire. Keep on kicking ass girrrrrl!

Reply to Mallori

Hi, Mallori!

All of that meant so much! And it makes me happy to see that get what I’m about and what my goal is. social media is just a small percentage of my life and I don’t want to be portrayed in any other way. 🙂 xoxo

• Maggie

I’m so sorry that happened to you! I am 22 years old and have been reading your blog for many years now, I love keeping up with your life and you seem like such a nice and genuine person! I’ve gone through a few struggles in my life and reading your blogs and stories has really helped me. Love from North Dakota!

Maggie

Reply to Maggie
  • Jacqui

Taralynn – You’re one of the BIGGEST reasons I started my own blog. I’ve tried blogging since about 2007 and couldn’t get any one topic or niche to “stick” – until I realized I didn’t NEED a topic! You helped me realize my life was interesting enough on it’s own (because yours is, everyone’s is!) that I can write about what I’m up to (and share it on social media) and not care if I have “followers” when I do so. I LOVE writing about my life and I love reading about yours so seriously – thank you from the bottom of my heart – for not letting things like this stop you from blogging. You are awesome and I hope we can meet for coffee one day – and Instagram it, of course ; )

Reply to Jacqui

Hi, Jacqui!

you NEVER need a niche! Just blog ANYTHING you want!!! No matter what you do, it’ll be interesting to someone else or make someone else smile!! I can’t wait to check out your blog!

• Caroline

This is so ironic – I actually stumbled upon her article before I read this post because my friend from college shared it on Facebook (apparently she knows the girl who wrote it, but we live in New Hampshire so it’s seriously a small world…!) I was so happy to see your name mentioned since I’ve been following your blog forever and I love it. Until I saw what she wrote. Even though I don’t know you in person, I’ve been following your blog long enough to see that she painted a completely false picture of you. Your posts have always been real and that’s why I continue to read your blog daily. I’m sorry this happened! XOXO

Reply to Caroline

Crazy small world.

Glad you also were taken back from what she wrote and it wasn’t just me. Thank you for reaching out and the kind words!!

xo xo

• Brittany

Taralynn,

I’ve been reading your blog for years. I started reading when I lived in Charlotte, back in 2012. I’ve since moved away, but love reading all about your adventures in Charlotte and your journey to maintain a healthy lifestyle while having fun along the way.
    I actually read the post that you are referencing in your own blog post and didn’t sense that they were saying anything negative about you at all. I’m wondering what you thought they were hinting at?

Best,
    Brittany

Reply to Brittany

Hi, Brittany!

Thanks so much & omg has Charlotte changed over the years!!! If you havnt been back, you may not recognize it!

The whole post was negative. We shouldnt be shamed for posting happy moments of our life on social media. Not everything has to be dark. I also don’t “live my life around social media” that is far from the truth. I had many people reach out asking me about the article and many felt weird about it. When she asked me questions, they didn’t fit the quotes she used in her article. I was skeptical when she never let me know it was posted and also never wrote me back after I sent over the questions. The whole article was unnecsary and we should all bring eachother up, not judge a lifestyle based on social media. I use social media to inspire and my career started with blogging, not instagram and “LIKES”

• Cate

Your blog has been a positive light through the last few years and ups and downs in my life. You inspire me to push past my own fears and boundaries, and I hope to never get discouraged by others – because you’re doing good and helping a lot of people.

Reply to Cate
  • Mindy

I hate shady journalist. I admire you Taralynn, you keep doing you .

Reply to Mindy
  • Courtnee

Taralynn, you are a huge inspiration to me, so much I’m in the process of starting my own blog! Believe me I completely understand it is not easy to SHARE your life with strangers, but I’m going for it ! Good for you for standing up for yourself. I admire your courage. You go girl!

Reply to Courtnee

Hi, Courtnee.

THank you so much and I’m so glad you started a blog! It’s so much fun! XO XO Have fun sharing anything and everything you want!

• Lauren

That sucks that you try to help people and they just throw it back in your face.
    Your true followers know what a great person you are and that’s the reason they keep coming back.
    You and your blog are so inspiring. I never missed a post since I started reading your blog many years ago.
    I understand the Netflix comparison, haha!
    Good luck on your half marathon!
    Greetings from Belgium!

Reply to Lauren

It’s ok! The beauty of the lifestyle 🙂

I appreciate all the kind words and it totally puts a smile to my face!!!!

xo xo xo have a gorgeous week!

• Tiffany

I’m so sorry that happened to you! We all know better I have followed you for about 4 years now and you have always been honest and transparent in your blog posts! Good luck with your half!

Reply to Tiffany
  • Ashley Gort

What I wonder is why is happiness being dumped on? Posting pictures of yourself with friends and cups of coffee is unrealistic? Do we all just sit at home in the dark and cry? I don’t understand the agenda/purpose of that blog post. I feel like the writer is trying to be profound and edgy by attacking the idea of filtering your life on instagram and social media (not just for followers, but friends too). There is nothing wrong with picking and choosing what parts of your personal life you put out on display. Nothing at all. And to think so is narrow winded and ignorant.

Reply to Ashley Gort

Hi, Ashley!

I started to question if me going out for coffee with friends was supposed to be a secret or something I shouldn’t share? I was thinking that I’m doing something wrong while reading that, but then realized no, it was the article that was wrong! I agree with your comment. I actually live a very happy and upbeat life because it’s my goal to! I’m a very happy person, who faces struggles, and it’s ok to share that! I don’t want to feel bad for being happy? sounds so crazy.

• Bethany

AMEN, GIRL! Keep doing what you love, and happiness will always find you! The title of this post is SO TRUE!

Reply to Bethany
  • Ashley

Hi Taralynn,

I cannot believe that someone would take your words and spin them around to fit their own needs, and good for you to show the true story!

I have been following your blog since 2011 and you have really sparked my interest with your half marathon training posts! I cannot believe it has come up so quickly, and I cannot wait to read your post about the marathon.

All of these posts have inspired me to sign up for a my first 5Km race in September!

So I hope that you know every goal you have set out in your blog has been achieved with me, you shed light, inspire, and show true and real life ups and downs. All of that has inspired me to take up running and train for my 5km!

Wishing you safe travels and a kick ass run this weekend! 🙂

Reply to Ashley

Hi, Ashley!

So wonderful you have signed up for your first 5KM race in Sept!!! SO FUN!!! You’ll do awesome!!!

I can’t wait to share my training story + plan!! My friend meighan and I are going to write it together.

Thanks for the lift up and the kind words!!! I’ll be thinking of you at that starting line!

• Shay

I’ve been following your blog for a long time – all the way from Israel! I actually don’t read any other blogs but yours, and I really enjoy it. I love your posts because it reminds me to appreciate the small things – coffee, nature, beautiful weather. You’re so positive and so down to earth, and very relatable….which is so rare to find on social media nowadays!! This is why your blog is so special. Keep it up!

Reply to Shay

Hi, Shay!

WOW! All the way from Isreal!? That is so cool. What a beautiful country!

I appreciate the kind words and I’m glad you understand my message and goals.

Hope to visit one day!
      xo

• Michelle

The people who read your blog know that your life doesn’t revolve around social media. Good luck with the half marathon! You’ve got this!

Reply to Michelle
  • Sophie

I’ve followed you for soo many years but never commented until now!
    I loved this post as it really expains the true essence of what i enjoy about your blog/ social media and why I love your posts.
    You are always uplifting and positive and you really make me want to live the best version of my life possible, and i think that’s the key thing, you encourage people to look at their own lives and their own reality, and to question how they might make it a little more fun sometimes, more adventurous, more healthy, and it really inspires me to think positively about the simple things that all add up to a happy life.
    Lots of love from the UK !

Reply to Sophie

Hi, Sophie!

Thanks so much for the kind words & for following along all of these years. You nailed my goal exactly. Little things make me happy, I don’t just the things I do for likes. I want others to go out and find the same happiness, no matter what struggles they are facing!

xo xo

• Hannah Lee

Hi Taralynn!

I’m so sorry this happened to you! I love reading your blog because you’re open, and honest. You motivate me every damn day. I browse your blog for meal ideas when I’m making my grocery list. I browse your blog when I don’t feel like working out, because I know you’ll inspire me to. I don’t personally know you, but you seem to have the biggest heart and the most contagious smile. Woman crush Wednesday? More like woman crush everyday! I see your posts, and I can recognize how HARD you work. Nobody build something this amazing, without a little elbow grease. Don’t let mean girls stop you, because you’re making a huge difference ❤️

Reply to Hannah Lee

Hi, Hannah!

Don’t be sorry at all. It’s life and I’m just happy I could use this as learning experience and share the story with my readers. I appreciate all of your kind words and you have no idea how happy it makes me! I have a smile on my face right now. Thank you for building me up!

Have the best day ever !

• Lindsay Steele

Hi Taralynn,

I read the article, and while I don’t think she intentionally meant to hurt you, she definitely made a mistake in her ability to interpret and paraphrase your interview. It takes skill to be able to be able to condense a lot of information into a couple paragraphs — as a professional newspaper journalist and columnist, I know that to be true. I hope that she might be able to take this as a learning experience and try to improve that aspect of her writing. I’m sorry that you were misrepresented by her article – that really sucks. Definitely ask for her to clarify the sentence about how your life revolves around social media. It would have been more accurate for her to say that you openly share you life on social media — the good and the bad.

Reply to Lindsay Steele

Hi, Lindsay.

I understand where you are coming from. I’m sure she wasn’t intentionally trying to hurt me, but she did take advantage a bit. It was evidently clear by not responding or letting me know when the article was posted. I don’t think I gave her the answers she was looking for, but she used my quotes and interpreted to fit her agenda. It’s ok though!:) This is what my blog is for. My life will never revolve around social media. Social media is just a way for me to share what I’m up to. I really do hope she uses this as a learning experience, I most certainly have! 🙂

Hope you have a great week!

• Juliette | Namastay Traveling

So glad you continue to use your blog not only for good, but projecting honestly. I often wonder where my limits are with my blog, how personal can I get, when I can fight back, and what’s worth letting go. But that’s just it, if we let other walk all over us, we’re only opening doors for them to do it to others. Thank you for a mature and thoughtful response to people who clearly did not feel they needed to return the respect between journalists…or just other humans. Keep rockin on. And good luck with your half!

Juliette | https://namastaytraveling.com/

Reply to Juliette | Namastay Traveling

Thank you, Juliette!

That means a lot! You can share anything you’re comfortable with and no one can stop you. That is the beauty of a blog. Why not spread love and happiness on your platform? I appreciate the kind words! & I am excited to check out your blog!

xo

• Liz

I’m so sorry this happened to you! You’re such a positive and motivational person that certainly doesn’t deserve this! I think it’s important you brought this up.

xo, Liz

Reply to Liz

Thank you, Liz!

It’s a goal of mine to live a happy and positive life. I just wanted to share the truth!

Appreciate your kind words!

Taralynn

• Amanda

You’re the best Taralynn! Your blog DOES bring joy and inspiration!!

Reply to Amanda
  • Jenny

What a frustrating situation! The reporter’s ethics seem very questionable, she totally mis-used your quotes to spin a different story. I so admire you standing up for yourself, and that you maintain your positivity and authenticity. We all have much to learn from you.

“I’m not afraid of storms, for I’m learning how to sail my ship.” — Mary Louise Alcott

Reply to Jenny

Thank you, Jenny. I really love that quote! I just wrote it down on my board so I can look at it while I work.

I appreciate your kind words!

• Teresa

WHAT!? That is incredibly frustrating and was a complete waste of your time and energy. I love that you posted your real answers here because they are heartfelt and honest. Thank you for sharing the positives (your answers) out of such a negative situation.

Girl it’s a perfect time to enjoy that last long run!

Reply to Teresa
  • Catherine

All I can say is “wow!” I have literally read your blog for years through the ups and downs. I’ve followed your workouts, made some of your recipes, and followed you on social too, because I felt like I could connect in various ways. To see someone shed you in a negative light saddens me 🙁 I also think it’s great that you took the time to dedicate a blog post on your own site to fully explain your side of the story. Hopefully many people who have read that persons article take the time to head here to read the REAL story!

Keep doing what you’re doing and shine on!

Reply to Catherine

Thank you, Catherine!

I think it bothered me because I don’t “revolve my life around social media” my social media revolves around my life. I post about my life, and I don’t change the way I live to impress people. I stated that clearly. I only wanted to post it on my blog because I honestly only care about sharing this story with MY readers.

xo xo xo

• Krista

If you haven’t seen Good Girls Revolt on there (Amazon), I’d highly recommend it!! It’s about feminism in a 70s newsroom, where women were confined to the role of researcher and weren’t allowed to be reporters. There’s only one season of it so far, but it’s amazing. We’re now on Mr. Robot now, which is a little weird and out of my comfort zone, but it’s really interesting!!

Reply to Krista
  • Krista

I love how positive you are, even when people are less than graceful. I can’t stand when people twist words to fit their agenda, that’s crazy that that happened. I’m sorry that the interview didn’t go as smoothly as planned, but I love that you posted your answers here; while you don’t have to answer to anyone, least of all us, your readers, standing up for yourself is important, and I’m glad that you’ve given us the opportunity to see the interview as it actually was, rather than how it was put out. Your blog posts are always a positive outlet whenever I have a bad day, but I don’t think it’s realistic for people to depend on it like a “Netflix binge”; go subscribe to Amazon if you’re out of shows on Netflix, y’all 😉

Reply to Krista

Thanks, Krista!!!

I hardly reply or care about topics like this, but I spent a lot of time being open and vulnerable and I felt that my readers deserved to see it. I appreciate your kind words, and I have to say Amazon is getting better than Netflix!!

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

I r loved how you shared other aspects of your life. Good on you for the positive changes!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Reply to Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
  • Lindsey

I read the article this morning and I hoped you would reply. I was shocked with your quotes, but it makes sense now. Thank you for sharing!

Reply to Lindsey
  • Danielle

I’m sorry this happened to you. Your posts are positive and upbeat but it is never taken as altered or fake because you are transparent about your past struggles and current issues. Shine on sister!

Reply to Danielle