My 15 Favorite “At Home” Salad Fixes!

It’s no secret that I love salads. You could put an entire slice of pizza on a bed of lettuce and it would make me happy. Maybe it’s because they are colorful and remind me of summer. Today, I’m sharing my top 15 favorite “at-home” salad fixes! Salads are a great way to get your veggie fix, protein fix, and they keep you full longer. Salads save me from snacking and diving into the cereal box at night. They never get boring because there are so many ways to create them! Not to mention, they’re super inexpensive. You can buy a ton of ingredients and make salads all week long, or use dinner leftovers for toppings.
Sweet Berry Grilled Chicken Kale Salad: Cucumber, Kale, Strawberries, Blueberries, Mixed Honey Roasted Nuts, Honey Goat Cheese, Avocado, Cranberries, Grilled Chicken Breast and Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing. (see the full blog post)
Ground Turkey Taco Salads: 99% Fat-Free Ground Turkey, Package Low Sodium Taco Seasoning, Shredded Iceberg Lettuce, Olive Oil, Roma Tomatoes, Low Sodium Black Beans, Salsa, Shredded PepperJack Cheese, Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt, Avocados, Whole Wheat/Low Carb Tortillas. (see the full blog post)

Goat Cheese & Chicken Pita Greek Salad: Romaine, Pita Chips, Bell Peppers, Avocado, Cucumber, Tomatoes, Red Onion, and Goat Cheese. (see the full post here)
Pecan & Sweet Pepper Kale Salad: Chopped Kale, Goat Cheese, Sweet and Spicy Peppers, Pecans, Cranberries, Onions, and a Red Wine Vinaigrette. (see the full post here)

Cranberry Pepita Kale & Cabbage Salad: Kale, Brussels Sprouts, Pepitas, Craisins, Parmesan Crisps, Ground Turkey, Goat Cheese, and Lemon Poppyseed Dressing. (see full post here)

Super Veggie Salad: Spinach, Bell Pepper, Carrots, Radishes, Broccoli, Pumpkin Seeds, Honey Mustard Nut Thins, Dried Cranberries, and Cauliflower with a Shallot Vinaigrette. (see full post here)
Avoacdo & Egg Salad: Romaine Lettuce, Red Onion, Avocado, Cucumber, Hard Boiled Eggs, Green Bell Peppers, & Balsalmic Viniagrette (see full post here)
Cranberry Avocado Spinach Salad: Spring Mix Lettuce, Avocado, Dried Cranberries, Honey Flavored Goat Cheese, Balsamic Dressing & Walnuts. (read full post here)
Sweet Potato Berry Kale & Avocado Salad: Kale, Cucumber, Sweet Potato, Blueberries, Goat Cheese, Strawberries, Pecans & a Balsamic Vinaigrette. (see full post here)
Ground Turkey & Rice Caesar Salad: Romaine Lettuce, Ground Turkey, Croutons, Banana Peppers, Shredded Asiago Cheese, Croutons, White Rice and Greek Yogurt Caesar dressing. (see full post here)

Fried Goat Cheese Salad: Romaine Lettuce, Fried Goat Cheese, Croutons, Tomatoes, Red Onion, Balsalmic Vinigrette. (see full recipe here)

Grilled Tuna & Pumpkin Seed Salad: Grilled Tuna, Croutons, Almonds, Pumpkin Seeds, Romaine, Parmesan, & Garlic Balsalmic. (see full post here)

Cherry Apple Avocado Salad With Crunchy Couscous: Avocado, Uncooked Couscous, Diced Apples, Spring Mix Lettuce, Chopped Cherries, & a Delicious Trader Joe’s Dressing (more on the recipe here)
Blue Cheese Popcorn Chicken Salad: Iceburg Lettuce, Garlic Croutons, Crispy Fried Onions, Light Honey Mustard Dressing, Sweet Banana Peppers, Jalapeños, Blue Cheese Crumbles, & Baked Popcorn Chicken! (Read more here)

Fruit & Nut Salad: Bell Pepper, Red Onion, Honey Roasted Almonds, Cranberries, Rasberries, Blueberries, Romaine Lettuce, Pecans, Shredded Coconut, Poppy Seed Dressing (Recipe Post Here)

Questions for you!
1. Create Five-Ingredient Salad. Go!
2. Do you eat salads all year round?
3. Sweet or Savory Salad?

Comments

• Kristin

Depends on my mood but normally I love a good sweet salad! Any kind of fruit in a salad is usually a go to for me! As I look through your salads though I might have to try the turkey taco one, that sounds amazing!

Reply to Kristin
  • Harriet

1. Leftover roast vegetables, iceberg, kale, Brie cheese and homemade cranberry dressing.
    2. Yes for lunch and dinner most days but my mum does a massive family roast every weekend and you won’t find a salad on the table.
    3. Both to keep my sweet tooth at bay!!

Thank you for all the great salad ideas!

Reply to Harriet
  • Charlene Russell

Thank you for the veggie ones too ???

Reply to Charlene Russell
  • Dorothy

1.) I’m not sure I can pick just five ingredients! In general, I like romaine, various berries, avocado, chicken, and goat cheese.
    2.) I eat a salad every day for lunch! I make them all ahead of time in mason jars.
    3.) I like to mix sweet and savory together! I’ll have a mostly savory salad, but toss in some berries and candied walnuts.

Reply to Dorothy
  • Dana

Thank you for this!!!! I always get inspired by your combos.

This article is amazing:

I made a ham/dried blueberry/rosemary cheese/kale/balsamic salad that was pretty great the other day.

Salads all year round!

Savory with a hint of sweet.

Reply to Dana
  • Abbey

Such a great post, I loved all these ideas!

I eat a lot of salads all year round, but probably more in the warmer months. I like to have a sweet and savory combination. One of my faves is mixed greens, blueberries, avocado, feta cheese, almonds and an almond butter dressing. I base it on a recipe from Pinch of Yum.

Reply to Abbey

Thanks Abbey!!

I love the combo too! That sounds like a really good salad 🙂 Pinch of Yum is great!:) I went on a press trip with her and her husband and they are WONDERFUL people. Great blog and recipes as well.

• Krysten

Mmm yes please, going to try a few of these!

Reply to Krysten
  • Sarah

Yum! I am definitely going to use this post for some salad inspiration! I always make one big salad every sunday that I eat for lunch every day. I’m in med school so this is an effective way for me to eat healthy every day!

My salad includes: Kale (lasts longer than spinach), chopped fresh brussel sprouts, broccoli, granny smith apple, avocado, cucumber and then I’ll add a protein like tempeh that I marinate in soy sauce and maple syrup. Sometimes I make roasted sweet potatoes and mix those in too!

Reply to Sarah

Love that you prep to stay healthy during your busy schedule! That is great 🙂

Your salads sound amazing. The maple syrup & soy sauce combo? genius.

• Amanda|The Kitcheneer

I have been a HUGE fan of your salad combos over the years. But I have to say the ones that are on repeat for my lunches are #1 and #10. 😀

Reply to Amanda|The Kitcheneer
  • Teresa

One of my favorites to make at home is a pizza salad!

-Romaine
    -Yellow Peppers
    -Onion
    -Asiago or Romano Cheese Crisps
    -Turkey Pepperonis
    -Pesto Vinaigrette or a little Marinara!

2. Do you eat salads all year round – yes! I love how long you can make a huge tupperware of meat, rice, cheese, veggies, etc. last throughout the week when you make salads.

3. Sweet or Savory Salad- Definitely savory!!

Reply to Teresa
  • Katie @ Katie Wanders

I definitely eat salads all year round. Usually for lunch but sometimes for dinner! I get tired of old ideas so thank you for so many great new combinations! My favorite dinner salads are a turkey burger over a southwest salad. For lunch I love anything with arugula, or some simple classics like Cobbs and Greek!

Today I had arugula, pecans, goat cheese, red onion, salmon and scallops with balsamic and EVOO. Delicious!

Thanks for sharing new ideas!
    Katie @ Katie Wanders

Reply to Katie @ Katie Wanders

You’re welcome! I love adding black bean burgers on southwest salads! You should try the spicy black bean burger from Morning star on top of one. It’s so good, even my boyfriend LOVES it!

The salad you had today sounds fantastic.

xo xo xo

• Chelsea @ Chelsea Be Healthy

Oh my goodness that Ground Turkey Taco salad looks AMAZING!!!

My favorite salad is one from a local restaruant here called “ZaZa’s” and it’s the Asian Ginger Chicken Salad! It’s delicious!!

I agree with you though with being able to eat all kinds of salads with different toppings! So fun to change things up with them and mix in new ingredients!

I definitely eat salads all year round. But, there’s nothing better than a fresh Summer salad!

I am a savory salad kind of girl!

Reply to Chelsea @ Chelsea Be Healthy

I love ground turkey (cold) in my salads!

Asian ginger?!?! YYUUUMMM!!!

Salad is just so much better in the summer! Everything is so light and fresh.

• Hannah

I’m so terrible at making my own salads, but I want to just whip them up like you do! Thanks for the wonderful ideas! I can’t wait to try these!!!

Reply to Hannah
  • Jamie

Thanks for sharing! I will definitely be trying some of these out! I am wondering what kind of lettuce you usually buy? I always look for romaine but it usually does not look fresh or the spinach gets soggy.

Thanks! 🙂

Reply to Jamie

It all depends on what type of salad I’m going to make! I only buy lettuce when I’m going to eat it THAT day or the next. You can check the bags out, or go to a local fresh market.

• Amanda

Oh my goodness thanks for sharing all of these! I love salads but never know how to make them fun and creative – I will definitely be re-creating some of your ideas to spice up my lunches!!

Reply to Amanda
  • Susie

I love these salad combos:

romaine lettuce, chopped apple, pine nuts, avocado w/ balsamic
    AND
    spinach, bleu cheese, mandarin sections, red onion, slivered almonds w/ balsamic

Yum! I think you don’t like bleu cheese? Goat cheese would be just as good!

Reply to Susie
  • Samantha

1. Spinach, Cucumber, Tomatoes, Feta, Pecans… and Chicken 🙂
    2. Salads are my go to all the time!
    3. Definitely the combination of both!

Reply to Samantha
  • Lauren @ Following the Path of Life

Ooo…that pecan and sweet pepper salad sounds yummy!

1. One of my all-time favorite go-to salads that I’ve been eating a lot lately…. Spring salad mix, cooked rice, black beans, salsa, and avocado.

2. I do eat salads year round, but definitely more in the warmer months. I go through phases of wanting salads and then not wanting them…but I’ve been on a salad kick recently!

3. Both sweet and savory! It depends on my mood and on what ingredients I have in the kitchen. 🙂

Reply to Lauren @ Following the Path of Life
  • Vicki

Where is that green jacket from (first picture)?

Reply to Vicki
  • Stephanie

Arugula, strawberries, feta, almonds with a bit of olive oil and Traditional 18 year aged Balsamic (we order it from Creede Olive Oil Company in Colorado, their olive oils and balsamic’s are amazing!). So good!

Reply to Stephanie
  • Vanessa

Ohh so much inspiration! Definitely have to bookmark this page.

1. Create Five-Ingredient Salad. Go!
    The classics: Arugula, spinach, tomatoes, pine seeds, mozzarella (with balsamic vinaigrette)

2. Do you eat salads all year round?
    Yes! It’s never too cold for salad haha

3. Sweet or Savory Salad?
    Never tried a sweet salad actually – but I feel I should 🙂

Reply to Vanessa
  • Jenn

Romaine lettuce, baby spinach, avocado, Parm. cheese shavings, Roma tomatoes

Yes, I love them in the summer more with fresh garden tomatoes though. I live in a colder climate so they aren’t as good all year long.

Savory!

Reply to Jenn
  • Jillian

1. Chickpeas, feta cheese, romaine, onion, and balsamic vinaigrette! So so good. 2.) I definitely eat salads all-year round! 3.) Savory salads, always. All of these salads look and sound FANTASTIC.

Reply to Jillian
  • Jen H.

1. BBQ chicken, roasted corn off the cob, romaine, poppy seed dressing, sunflower seeds, avocado. Summer in a bowl!

2. I like to call myself a salad connoisseur. I eat salad every single day for lunch. Let me reiterate that….EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Just like your post shows, it’s so versatile how could anyone ever get sick of it. You can change it up in so many ways!!!!

3. I prefer savory salads with a sweet add-in to them. My favorites are cranberries, poppy seed dressings, or catalina dressing. That in addition to any savory salad is a perfect combo.

LOVE THIS POST

Reply to Jen H.

LOL I love it! Salads for lunch are the best!!! I would eat them for breakfast if I could…(i guess i can)

Your salad combo sounds amazing!!!

• Stephanie

Thank you for this! I love salads but get so bored eating the same kind. I’m also not very creative on my own with ingredients so having this list is wonderful to try something new!

Reply to Stephanie
  • Hannah

1. My favorite salad is one I recreated from our local tea room. Mixed greens, grilled chicken, feta, diced apple, and pecans with a raspberry vinegrette. I also like adding dried Craisins to it for extra sweetness.

2. I eat salads all year round! During the spring/summer I eat them with grilled meats and fruits mixed in. In the fall/winter I love doing rotessouri chicken and roasted sweet potatoes in my salads or just making side salads with my meals to get my greens in.

3. Savory or sweet works for me – a little of both! But I think my favorite salads are taco salads!

Reply to Hannah
  • Annette

These look amazing, great post! I love salads, here’s the one I made for lunch today:

Kale
    Apple
    Dried cranberries
    Feta crumbles
    Raspberry light vinaigrette

Sweet salads are my favorites!

Reply to Annette

What exactly makes Caprese salad a “CAPRESE salad”? Is it the specific cheese?

• Allie

1. iceburg lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes and fat free ranch. simple and so good! and low cal too.

2. yah pretty much I do lol!

3. I just like regular lettuce salads like above, nothing really crazy on them, I’m boring lol

Reply to Allie
  • Sarah

This is such a fun post idea – love it!!

My go-to salad would have to be grilled chicken Cesar with red onions, edamame, Parmesan, and avocado.

I love salad year round. In the winter I pair it with soup and over the summer I just eat it topped with bbq.

I’ve actually never had a sweet salad. I’ve always been to nervous to try them, but some of your combos look so yummy I might have to finally make one.

Reply to Sarah
  • Trina

Grapefruit, pistachios, cucumber, chicken, turkey or regular bacon pieces with EVOO
    SO GOOD! trust me

Salads are my favorite food which is super weird to most people lol

I think you need sweet and savory elements to make the perfect salad

Reply to Trina
  • Liz

I really like the way this post is laid out! Also, I can’t wait to try some of these!

xo, Liz

Reply to Liz
  • Anonymous

LOVE THIS

Reply to Anonymous
  • Mallory @ Boston Runner Girl

i loooove salads (which totally sounds lame when said outloud, ha). but really i do. five ingredient salad: kale, avocado, butternut squash, macadamia nut, grilled chicken. perfect!

Reply to Mallory @ Boston Runner Girl
  • Anna

Three of my favorites:
    – Lettuce, tuna fish salad (canned tuna, light mayo, dill relish), sliced apples and avocado. Drizzle of light honey mustard dressing.
    – Lettuce, GF chicken nuggets, avocado, roasted green beans, light honey mustard dressing.
    – Lettuce, shredded salsa chicken, black beans, salsa and/or light sour cream, avocado. (combine light ranch and salsa if you want a dressing!)

Reply to Anna
  • Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Savoury salads FOR SURE! Chicken breast is essential – all year round!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Reply to Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
  • Juliette @ Namastay Traveling

Love the goat cheese salad idea! Maybe one of these combo’s will finally win over my veggie- hating boyfriend. 😉

Reply to Juliette @ Namastay Traveling
  • Erica Palladno

1. Turkey meatballs, ricotta cheese, iceberg lettuce, red onion, cucumber, little bit of marinara! The best savory salad ever!!!

2. I eat salads allll the time!! The are so easy because you can put anything on top of them!

3. I like sweet and savory!!

Ps. you are amazing. Reading your blog is my favorite thing.

Reply to Erica Palladno