Ground Turkey Taco Salads

Hi Everyone!

I hope you all had a great Labor Day weekend! Mine was very relaxing. I spent some time exploring Charlotte, fit in a couple of runs, and tried a new coffee shop that was out of this world. I will blog all about that later! I want to share a  dinner recipe I made last Sunday before I close the computer and go to bed. Ground Turkey Taco Salads!

I really look forward to Sunday dinners. I try to cook something delicious and semi-healthy. We decided on taco salads last Sunday because they are very easy to make, and who doesn’t love tacos? I headed to the grocery store after my workout and constructed these delicious taco salads in less than thirty minutes. I love dinners that are quick, especially when you’re hungry.
Ground Turkey Taco Salads! Ingredients:
*2 lbs ground turkey        *2 packages of low sodium taco seasoning      *shredded iceberg lettuce
*1 tablespoon olive oil             * whole wheat low carb tortillas         *2 avocados
*3 roma tomatoes                 *salsa          *shredded pepperjack cheese (or any kind)
*1 can low sodium black beans        *8 ounces non-fat plain Greek yogurt
Ground turkey taco salads
Add the olive oil and ground turkey to a pan on high heat. Cook until the ground turkey is done. Drain and add the two packets of low sodium taco seasoning.

I threw some Alexia waffle seasoned salt sweet potato fries into the oven while preparing the tacos. Sweet potatoes always make a good side. I love the Alexia brand for nights when I don’t feel like cutting up potatoes.
Ground Turkey Taco Salads! Place the tortillas in a oven safe bowl and cook until crisp. They cook fast, so keep an eye on them! *Each tortilla should have it’s own bowl. Ground Turkey Taco Salads!
Drain the can of black beans. Mix them into a bowl with chopped tomatoes and chopped avocados. (thanks Meighan for chopping these!:)Ground Turkey Taco Salads!
You can flavor it up by adding lime, garlic powder, sea salt, pepper, onion powder, and Italian seasoning.
Ground Turkey Taco Salads! Add lettuce, ground turkey, avocado, tomato, black beans, salsa, cheese and plain Greek yogurt in a tortilla bowl!Ground Turkey Taco Salads!
These were so good that you didn’t need any extra dressing! I want to try adding grilled corn next time.
Ground Turkey Taco Salads!  Ground Turkey Taco Salads! Questions for you!

What is your favorite taco topping?
How often do you eat tacos?
What is your favorite 30 minute meal to make?

Comments

• Melanie

Love this idea. Thank you!

Reply to Melanie
  • Kelli Van Wandelen

I love avocado on everything, guac on tacos I also really like sautéed onions too.

I recently moved to San Diego and my boy friend and I have been trying out all the different taco places on Taco Tuesday. There are quite a few by our house so we are able to get a walk in too.

My favorite fast meal would have to be chicken salads. I love strawberry, avocado, feta and chicken.

Reply to Kelli Van Wandelen
  • Becky

True story: I’m a weirdo that doesn’t like tacos. I think it’s because I don’t care for ground beef, but even when I use ground chicken or turkey they still aren’t very appealing to me. I’m also not a fan of hard taco shells, sour cream or tomatoes. I love all other Mexican food, though!

Reply to Becky

You’re not weird at all. I don’t LOVE tacos as much as everyone else, but I do like them. Those are all things that I can see someone not liking. 😉

• Emily B

I LOOOOOOOOOVE tacos. They are so easy and so versatile so and I literally love anything and everything on them. Especially guac and cheese. We usually eat tacos at least 2-3 times a month. They’re convenient and easy. Tacos, spaghetti & grilled cheese Are some of my go to easy quick meals.

Reply to Emily B
  • Brittany M.

I tried this recipe last night, and it was delicious! Even my four year old daughter liked it! I had to buy taco salad shells because I wasn’t too sure about the tortillas. We’re trying the fruit pizza this morning. I liked how both recipes included greek yogurt! Thank you for the awesome recipes! I’ve shared them with my mom too.

Reply to Brittany M.

Hi Brittany!

So glad you and your daughter loved this recipe!! Taco shells are just as good…if not better 😉 I hope you LOVE the fruit pizza!!! xo xo

• Brittany M.

Ugh! I’m so sorry for the extra comments! Every time I submit one, it looks like it didn’t go through! Technology!? Right? 😜

Reply to Brittany M.
  • Jillian

1. Avocado and salsa, duh!

2. Not that often, I’ve been loving fish tacos lately tho!

3. My fave go to 30 minute meal is for sure stir fry. Its delicious, full of veggies and so quick and easy! Plus you can eat it out of a bowl and that’s how I like to enjoy every meal 🙂

Reply to Jillian

AGREED.

I’ve never been a fish taco person (because I’ve never really had one), but I think I need to try. I just don’t like the term “fish tacos.”

Stir fry is like my go-to for giant quick dinners that last almost all week long.

• Jen H.

1. My favorite taco topping has to be guacamole. You can’t go wrong with adding guac to just about anything!! I love it sooooo much so of course it has to be on my tacos.

2. I’m more of a ‘taco salad’ kind of girl. It’s my go to meal at any mexican restaurant and it’s also so easy to whip up at home!! I’ll make mine with shredded chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, lots and lots of guac, and salsa. Simple yet delicious!

3. Straying away from my mexican obsession, my favorite 30 minute meal….actually 15 minute meal….is zoodles with pesto. It is so easy to make the zoodles, throw them in a pan with some coconut oil and pesto, give it a stir and wa-la….ZOODLES! Plus it’s healthy and delicious! If I’m feeling extra fancy I’ll add some shredded chicken and parmesan.

Reply to Jen H.

Yes. Guacamole all day long!

Yours sound amazing (minus olives) and I love the idea of doing shredded chicken. I may try that with my crockpot.

I’ve never like pesto, but I do like zoodles! I just bought a new veggie spiraler for zoodles. I think you’re onto something with the parm and chicken! 🙂

• Brittany M.

I tried your recipe tonight! It was delicious! I’ve never made tortilla shells so I bought them pre-made! Thank you so much! Even my 4 year old daughter loved it!

Reply to Brittany M.
  • Brooklyn

Aren’t taco salads just the best? I love making tacos and making tons of leftovers for salads the next few days. Such a healthy and delicious dinner!
    I’ve never had Alexia brand sweet potatoes but those sure do look good! 🙂

Reply to Brooklyn
  • Dana

Do you weigh down the tortilla when you place it in the bowl? I can never get mine to come out quite so solidly shell-like. They usually flatten out into a tostada.

Reply to Dana
  • Linda @ the Fitty

My favourite taco topping is guacamole!

Reply to Linda @ the Fitty
  • Linda @ the Fitty

Yum! I would say hat ground beef would taste a bit gamer in this recipe but I guess ground turkey works in that it is slightly lower in calories.

Reply to Linda @ the Fitty
  • Megan Evetts

My husband and I make taco salads often! Love how easy, healthy and budget friendly they are. I can find a pound of ground turkey at our local Aldi for $1.89 a pound! I found this recipe for taco seasoning and won’t go back. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/46653/taco-seasoning-i/
    Fun to see something we enjoy making on your blog! Hope all is well Taralynn!

Reply to Megan Evetts

Hi Megan!

That is a great deal on ground turkey. I used to make Rachel Ray’s taco seasoning! I need to do a giant batch of it for next time using the all recipes!

Thanks for sharing!