Sunday Seafood Feast & A City Run

Folly Beach, South Carolina

I know that Sundays are a day for rest, but I love making them my most active days. After returning home from the beach last Saturday, I was recharged and ready to fit in some workouts!

One Life Raw Juice Bar: Charlotte Nc

It was HOT Sunday, which is the usually lately. Becca and I stopped at One Life Raw Juice Bar for protein smoothies before our walk. We loved this juice spot!

One Life Raw Juice Bar: Charlotte Nc

I ordered the Midwood Mixer (the green one.) It had cucumber, celery, kale, granny smith apple, ginger blended with banana pineapple and mango. I also had them add hemp protein powder. So delicious. Becca’s was REALLY  good too! She ordered the Strawberry Joy and it had strawberries, bananas, house made almond butter, dates and hemp protein.

If you live in Charlotte or just passing through, make sure to stop here!

We stopped at Whole Foods after our walk so I could pick up ingredients for dinner. I was inspired by one of the meals from the beach and wanted to come up with something similar. I bought all kinds of seafood and sides for a Sunday seafood feast!

Running in the city: simply taralynn

Kyle and I headed out for a run in the city before making dinner! I was pacing him a month ago and now he’s pacing me. My miles are around 8:25-9:24 and his miles are 7:34-8:34, so soon we won’t be able to run together! I’ll be three blocks behind him! We have a morning run planned for today before heading to the gym and he’s going to let me pace. I think we will do three or four LIGHT miles at 9:25!

I was super hungry and ready to cook when we got back.

I made roasted vegetables with rainbow potatoes, sweet chili teriyaki shrimp, snapper and scallops, with garlic and herb rice.

I always start with the roasted potatoes and vegetables first because they take the longest to cook. I like to soften up the potatoes by adding them to a bowl of water and microwaving them for about 7-10 minutes. You could also bring them to a boil on the stove.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

I lined a baking sheet with tin foil and sprayed it with cooking spray. I added sliced potatoes, summer squash, zucchini, sweet onion and bell peppers. I sprinkled Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, minced onion flakes, dill weed, black pepper, and soy sauce on top. I tossed it all together and did a quick second coat of the seasonings.

I put the vegetables in for about 45 minutes.

The rice also takes a bit longer to cook, so that was second! I used Near East boxed rice and it was so good! I mixed the rice pilaf with the long grain and wild rice.

The flavors were fantastic! They had the same cooking directions on the back of the box, so I just threw them in together.

I found a sauce at Sur La Table for the fish! Red chili and Teriyaki are two of my favorite combo’s, so I knew it had to be good right away. I place a sheet of tinfoil in a baking dish with two tablespoons of olive oil. I placed the Snapper on the tinfoil and then added a layer of the sauce. I finished it off with a dash of garlic powder, black pepper and half tablespoon of low sodium soy sauce.

Cooking time depends on the size of your snapper (hold all jokes.)

I bought a pretty thick cut piece, so it took about 23 minutes for it to cook through. A snapper tastes a bit like salmon. It is flaky, a little sweet and super healthy!  I’ve always eaten snapper at restaurants, but this was my first time cooking it. It won’t be my last!

I cooked the shrimp and the scallops in the same sauce as the snapper.

I cooked them in a frying pan with one tablespoon of olive oil while the snapper baked.

If you like scallops, you need to try my Garlic Parmesan Crusted & Caramelized Scallops!

Garlic Parmesan Crusted & Caramelized Scallops

I wrapped the scallops and shrimp up together in tinfoil to keep them warm. I drizzled all the juices over the top to give them an extra boost of flavor.

Sweet Chili Teriyaki Seafood Feast, Garlic & Herb Rice & Roasted Vegetables With Rainbow Potatoes Sweet Chili Teriyaki Snapper Fish

The dinner turned out perfect! Maybe I’m being biased, but I enjoyed this meal over the restaurant’s!

Sweet Chili Teriyaki Seafood Feast, Garlic & Herb Rice & Roasted Vegetables With Rainbow Potatoes Kombucha

I also had a Sunday Kombucha with my dinner!

Roasted Vegetables & Seafood Feast

I could eat seafood every night! This meal was the perfect way to end a Sunday!

Trying our Halo Ice Cream

Sunday can’t be left without dessert. We turned into Halo monsters after trying it out. It doesn’t taste like ice melt or Arctic zero…It tastes like ACTUAL ice cream, and it’s only 240 calories for the entire pint + protein. We mixed in a little bit of the Whole Food’s honey roasted peanut butter. This was heaven! We are going to try another flavor tonight! 🙂

I have so much more to blog, but I’ll save it all for a recap post! xo

Questions For You!

1. What are you doing for the 4th of July?
  2. Have you checked out the July Fitness Challenge?  (INSTAGRAM: @simplytaralynnfitchallenge)
  3. What is something fun you have planned for the month of July?

Comments

• Zully Hernandez

What an awesome meal! I really need to search for that ice cream, because lately I’ve been all about ice cream for dessert.

Reply to Zully Hernandez
  • Emily B

I freaking LOVE Halo Top ice cream but it is SO hard to find in ND! I’ve only found ONE grocery store that carries it and it is 3 hours away from where I live so I have to make it a point to go there. I just bought 2 pints of the strawberry. I LOVED the vanilla bean!

Reply to Emily B
  • Ashley

Hi Taralynn, I love seeing all of your posts about workouts and great food! I was wondering if you could do a post about the changes, habits, and motivation from the past year that have led to your progress. I am in a similar situation of wanting to turn my body around and would love your advice!!

Reply to Ashley
  • Brooklyn

I’m a vegetarian, so I can’t really say about the seafood, but I LOVE roasted veggies! I eat roasted veggies at least 3 times a week. Aren’t the blue/purple potatoes so good??
    That rice also looks really good!

I used to be addicted to running on trails, but now I don’t live close to trails and have a few super busy roads near me, so I haven’t run outside in a while. I miss it!

Happy 4th of July from Canada!

Reply to Brooklyn
  • Kyla Woelfle

The Halo ice cream sounds amazing! I love ice cream (but hate the calories), so I can’t wait to try it out!

Happy Independence Day! Unfortunately, I’m still in recovery mode from being sick so no plans for me. I’m hoping to catch some fireworks around the neighborhood tonight though!

I have checked out the July fitness challenge, and although I haven’t been able to participate so much with the workouts, I am making better food choices and going to try some of your vegetable side dishes!

As soon as I feel 100% better I plan on going hiking with my hubby. It feels like it’s been so long, so I really can’t wait to get back to hiking more!

🙂 Have an awesome 4th of July!

Reply to Kyla Woelfle
  • Vanessa

That food looks amazing! I really need to make seafood more often 🙂

What are you doing for the 4th of July?
    Since I don’t live in the US it will be a normal monday for me. But I still have the day off so in the morning I’ll go swimming with my granny. She is 79 but in great shape, such a role model! Later I’ll meet with my group of scouting kids.

Have you checked out the July Fitness Challenge? (INSTAGRAM: @simplytaralynnfitchallenge)
    I have already started on the workouts and love it so far! Today I had to cut back the exercise because of really bad period pain, but now I feel better and will fit in some yoga.

What is something fun you have planned for the month of July?
    My favourite soccer club has a match scheduled really close to where I live, so I can’t wait to go and finally see them play again!

Reply to Vanessa

Sundays are also my rest days, by because I have the entire day off (usually) I take the opportunity to go out and walk or do light exercise because movement feels natural to my body. 🙂

• Kristin Cook

This month, I would like to either get my bike fixed up or buy a new one, and I’d like to find a pool that I can afford to go to for the rest of the summer. I’ve been told that the Harris Y is a good place, but I haven’t gone yet.

Reply to Kristin Cook
  • Jacqueline

Hey! I started running a couple years ago and about a year ago my husband began running with me. At first I was just like you, I paced him. But now he runs between 7-7.30. He will run with me some days but that has to be his light days. We have run a half marathon together and he ran with me the first 4 miles though. I blame our height difference ??

I will say though, running has been one of my favorite things we have done together. It has been great for us as a couple! ?

Reply to Jacqueline
    • Kristin Cook

That’s so cool! I wish my hubby and I took walks together more often. I hate running, but I love walking. We usually just opt for disc golf, which is fun and still exercise, but not nearly as much as I’d like for us to get! 😉

Reply to Kristin Cook

Hey Jacqueline!

It’s so funny how men can go so fast and gets o good at running so soon. I find that I can run WAY longer when I slow my miles down. I’m ready to quit after two miles when the run is too fast. I think it’s so cool that you guys ran a half together! I’d love to do that. I get too nervous of getting injured!

I can see that. We love working out and running together for sure! The support, motivation and success is better when it’s with someone else!

I hope you have a great 4th of July!

xo