When Seasons Change…

IMG_3428
Good Morning!

I made it to D.C. at 3:45 am this morning. I am extremely exhausted, but I wanted to wake up early so I could blog, workout and get ready for the day. It’s going to be a pretty chilly and rainy weekend, so I packed accordingly and plan to visit a lot of the museums this time. I can’t wait to share all of my photos and adventures with you soon! Before all of that fun stuff happens, I wanted to catch you guys up on with whats been going on in my life. It’s kind of been a while!

Last Thursday is where I left off at…

On Thursday morning, I fit in a run + stairs workout. I ran my first mile in 7:49 (personal record) and then faced the hills the rest of the way. After my workout I had a smoothie with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, ice, plant based vanilla a protein powder, frozen blueberries, banana, spinach, kale, clementine and flaxseeds.

IMG_3536

I was so excited for Thursday night because Karlee and My brother were in town. My aunt and uncle from New York were also in town. They both had weddings to attend on Saturday so they stopped at my parent’s for the night.

PicMonkey Collage

I brought over some roasted vegetables and spicy black bean quinoa burgers. My parents made grilled chicken, sausage and salads.

IMG_3530

I am so obsessed with the Morning Star spicy black bean burgers. They have black beans, corn, brown rice and chili peppers for a little kick.

IMG_3537 13062386_1027536263959616_5603572482024753772_n

It’s always nice seeing these two! All of that running has paid off…my legs are officially bigger than my brothers.

IMG_3543

I havnet seen my aunt Barb in almost six years! It was so good seeing her and my uncle Rick.

IMG_3546

It’s so nice to be able to hang out with family. We stayed out late listening to my brother play guitar and drinking wine.

AMELIES FRENCH BAKERY

My brother and Karlee stayed at my place on Thursday night, so before we headed over to my parents house for breakfast, I had them stop at Amelies French Bakery for coffee with me. I knew they’d love it.

AMELIES FRENCH BAKERY

They loved Amelies! They always show me their favorite coffee spots in D.C., so I thought it would be cool to show them mine.

T.C. ordered my favorite, the Le Sombre Chai and Karlee ordered the Caramel Latte.

AMELIES FRENCH BAKERY

It was a rainy morning and perfect for coffee.

IMG_3611

TC made vegetarian sausage, eggs and hash browns for breakfast. I already ate half of my sausage before realizing I didn’t take a picture….whoops.

PANERA BREAD SOUP & SALAD

I was supposed to go out on Friday night, but was feeling more of a low-key night. Becca and I decided to go to Panera for dinner and hit up the movies. I love the Panera Bread kiosks because it makes salad ordering so much fun! Yes, ordering salads is fun to me. I ended up getting the Chicken Caesar salad with all kinds of different toppings added to it! I also ordered a bowl of vegetable soup.

SNAPCHAT: TARALYNNMCNITT

We went to The Boss and it was one of the funniest movies I’ve seen in a long time. Even though it was silly, it was also pretty inspiring and a movie that empowers women. I highly recommend seeing this and I can’t wait to order it once it comes out.

AMELIE'S FRENCH BAKERY CHARLOTTE NC

After the movie, we headed to Amelies for a late night coffee and dessert. That lamp is my next project!

IMG_3691

I woke up early on Saturday morning to meet Becca in Charlotte for juice. I was super hungry so I had some mixed nuts on the way. *tip…freezing your nuts (that sounds so cute) makes the flavor/texture 10x better.

CHARLOTTE NC GREEN JUICE

The Berry Brooks Farm in Dilworth is a great little spot for local, organic, and natural health foods/products. They also have great juice.

Berry Brook Natural Foods Farm Charlotte NC

I ordered their just green smoothie. It had spinach, kale, ginger, apple, lemon, parsley, cucumber, celery and lime.

Taralynn McNitt: Charlotte NC Juice Taralynn McNitt: Charlotte NC Juice

The day couldn’t have been anymore beautiful.

Taralynn McNitt: Charlotte NC Juice

We took a walk around the Dilworth neighborhoods with our juice.

PicMonkey Collage

Also took some new shots of my dress for the collection!

lunas living kitchen charlotte nc

Later on that day, we decided to grab some lunch at Luna’s Living Kitchen. I like to go here at least once a month for a weekend lunch.

lunas living kitchen charlotte nc  lunas living kitchen charlotte nc

I always start with their coconut milk latte.

lunas living kitchen charlotte nc

I ordered their broccoli Waldorf salad.

The Waldorf has broccoli, green apple, celery, walnuts, rains, and red onions tossed with homade cashew mayonaase. They also serve it with greens, avocados and seed crackers.

IMG_3774 IMG_3788

New shirt in the collection! This will also be available in black soon 🙂

charlotte nc

I spent the night uptown on Saturday night.

IMG_3904

My parens were in Charleston all weekend for a wedding, so…pool party at their house, right? It was more of just me, Becca, the dogs and a bottle of rum. This is what I’ve been waiting for all year!

IMG_3924

Two beach balls down…

PicMonkey Collage

Pool side selfies!

Simply Taralynn: Workout Jenga Game

Last time I was playing a drinking Jenga game, I thought it would be a great idea to turn it into a workout game. I bought a Jenga game and wrote out workouts on each of the blocks!

Simply Taralynn: Workout Jenga Game

This was super fun and extremely hard!

kPicMonkey Collage

Kona was also on vacation.

80 calorie venti drink from starbucks

After spending almost all day out in the sun, we headed to Starbucks for some drinks. I ordered the “Taralynn’sccino” 🙂

IMG_4053

We took the dogs out for a sunset drive in the country. It’s always so beautiful out that way and that is what I love about living in Charlotte. You can drive 30 minutes outside of the city and you’re in the country.

IMG_4068

These are the roads I love running.

IMG_4096

We decided to rent a movie and house sit for the parents the rest of the night. I was zonked.

garlic parmesan brussel sprouts

I made roasted garlic parmesan brussel sprouts!

I chopped up some brussels sports and tossed them in olive oil, garlic powder, fresh organic parmesan cheese and baked them for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.

IMG_4105

I couldn’t get enough!

IMG_4115

I waited for my parents to get home the next morning, so I worked outside and played with the dogs.

IMG_4122

They go nuts when I hula hoop. They try attacking the hoop because they have no idea what it is or what I am doing.

healthy breakfast

For breakfast I made two eggs with a side of Peach Stand strawberries and a banana.

Breakfast

The best spot to work!

HIKING GOLDENDOODLE

Later that afternoon, I headed to Crowder’s for a hike.

Crowders Mountain Charlotte NC

I loved seeing all the green! The last time I went to Crowder’s, it was bare.

IMG_4136 IMG_4161

Hiking without a hair tie was tough. I looked like Tarzan by the end of it. Who am I kidding? My hair is always Tarzan.

Crowders Mountain Charlotte NC  Crowders Mountain Charlotte NC

I walked over to the pond afterwords. It was so pretty and peaceful. You can actually rent little kayaks to take out on it.

BAXTER VILLAGE SUSHI

For dinner, I had sushi in Baxter Village. I ordered the Charlotte roll with a house ginger salad.

IMG_4173

After dinner, I grabbed some coffee and went for a walk.

BAXTER VILLAGE TRAILS

Charlotte has an endless amount of trails. I love that!

IMG_3069

I headed out to my parents house Tuesday morning to chill with my dad a bit.

NOMADIX ECO FRIENDLY TOWEL

I also got to enjoy my new Nomadix towel that I am completely obsessed with. Not only is it a beach towel, but you can use it as a yoga mat.

NOMADIX ECO FRIENDLY TOWEL

*Made from 100% recycled material (80% polyester / 20% nylon)
*The perfect size (27.5″x72.5″)
*Super absorbent
*Quick drying
*Slip resistant
*Reversible
*Anti-microbial
*Durable
*Lightweight
*Packs down small (3.5″x7″)

Nomadix: Eco Friendly Towel

I can’t handle his cuteness!

Apples and Peanut Butter

I had some apples and peanut butter by the pool for a snack.

Garlic Parmesan Spaghetti Squash, Vegan Burgers, Vegetables

For dinner, I made some garlic parmesan (my favorite combo) spaghetti squash.

Garlic Parmesan Spaghetti Squash, Vegan Burgers, Vegetables

I had it with a steamed vegetable medley and two vegan burgers.

IMG_3191

Konas last day in the Carolinas! I’m going to be so devastated when I have to say goodbye.

IMG_4246

Mixed cereals and my coffee in a Christmas mug…this photo is a hotness and I love it.   Running: Baxter Village Running Trails

I was excited about my trail run on Wednesday. I hit a personal record and my running is finally paying off. It was so hot out, but I was hydrated, fueled and ready to kick butt. I keep the Gatorade gels in my side pocket because my throat gets so dry from the trails. Those are life savers.

Baxter Village Running Trails

Running in gorgeous areas helps me keep going.

stretching running, baxter village sc

I always end every run with a fifteen minute deep stretch.

After my run, I made a side Caesar salad, spicy black bean burger and carrots and hummus. I also had a side of the boathouse farms protein juice.

IMG_4247

I took the dogs to run later in the afternoon…

IMG_4521

That zonked them out…

Genghis Grill

My mom met me for dinner on Wednesday  night and we went to our favorite place, Genghis grill. I had a bowl with squash, broccoli, carrots, sweet potato, scallions, onions, bell peppers, snow peas, egg, steak, chicken and scallops. SO GOOD!

13084249_1031820630197846_1501347963_n

I had the leftovers for dinner last night before my road trip to D.C.

ROAD TRIP

Today we are going to the museums and you can follow me on Snapchat: taralynnmcnitt or Instgram @taralynnmcnitt for updates!

Questions for you:

1. What is your favorite poolside snack?
  2. Have you ever been to D.C. If so, what is a must do/see?
  3. What kind of fitness goals have you been hitting lately?

Comments

• Nicole

I love trail running, but I always worry about going alone (stranger danger…). What do you do to ensure you’re safe? I always have my phone, but what if someone attacks you on the trails (god forbid!). I always say I’d run more trails if I had a k-9 buddy to run with, but I don’t see that happening any time soon. I’d love some advice!

Reply to Nicole
  • Kate

Where are those traills in Charlotte?! They look so beautiful 🙂

Reply to Kate
  • Sara

I’m so jealous every time you go to Alexandria! I love it there! I’m sure you’ve answered this before, but what are your favorite kinds of running shoes? I’ve recently gotten into running (from your inspiring posts) but my Nikes are killing my knees and back! I pretty much run on flat sidewalks and treadmills (hello Florida!). Is there any brand that you favor in particular?

Reply to Sara
  • Heather @ Polyglot Jot

So fun–i cant stand the cuteness of Kona and the hat hahaha!

I love watermelon by the pool–especially when the watermelon is really cold and its really hot outside!

Reply to Heather @ Polyglot Jot
    • Valerie

I’ve definitely been agreeing with the minimal makeup look lately! It’s so much easier, and it’s nice to feel pretty and know that it’s not just because you’re wearing so many products that you don’t even look like yourself. The boyfriend encourages it too, which is a huge self esteem boost. Some days are definitely better than others though!

Maybe DC will be my next “big” trip after Ireland! I’ve always wanted to go and see the monuments and everything!

Reply to Valerie

He is the silliest!

Watermelon for the win! So refreshing 🙂

• Valerie

I love those black bean burgers! Have you ever tried the Asian style ones of the same brand? So good!

I also have to say how happy you’ve been looking lately! I love your confidence. You always look so naturally pretty and put together. I wish I could look/feel that way on a daily basis without a bunch of makeup and stuff. I always end up looking like I just rolled out of bed on a bad hair day otherwise lol.

1. I love having popsicles by the pool! That way if I get all sticky from them melting all over the place on a hot day I can just jump right in the water! 🙂

2. I have never been to DC!

3. I haven’t accomplished any fitness goals lately unfortunately. I’ve gained about 20 pounds since I switched my birth control last summer and it’s been a struggle trying to figure out how to lose the weight and become comfortable in my own body again. 🙁

Reply to Valerie

They’re super delicious. I haven’t had the Asian ones yet, but I’ll definitely give them a shot.

Thank you so much for the kind words. Believe me, I’m not always put together! I think the less make up you wear, more often…the more comfortable you become with it. You just have to get used to the change. When I wear less makeup, my face starts clearing up and my skin looks better. On the hair note….mine is always crazy! 🙂 Also, I think you are stunning WITH/WITHOUT make up! & you should definitely be comfortable and confident!

1. Popsicles are great pool snacks!
      2. YOU MUST MAKE A TRIP!
      3. Gaining weight happens! Don’t beat yourself up over it. That happened to me with birth control and I had to talk to my doctor about putting me on a different one. Definitely talk to your doctor about it. 🙂

• Lucy

Are you done with finals??? Can’t wait for school to be over and for summer!!!

Reply to Lucy

I’m only taking two online classes at the moment and not doing full time. They classes are super easy and allow you to work ahead. I am taking the summer off and the starting again in fall.

• Carly

I love all of your out doors pictures lately! You look so happy!

I wish it was warm enough here for a pool day, yours looked amazing! My favorite pool snacks are watermelon and frozen grapes and any kind of fruit smoothie!

I have only been to DC once when I was young, but I remember the holocaust museum being really powerful and memorable! I really want to visit DC when the cherry blossoms are out and experience more of the city rather than just the big tourist attractions!

Congrats on your running goals! So happy for you! Lately I’ve been trying to focus more on strength and toning (because I get a lot of endurance work already). I joined Tone It Up and have been following their Bikini Series program workouts, and so far haven’t missed one which I’m excited about!

Reply to Carly

Thank you Carly! I am very happy.

Frozen grapes are one of my favorite summer snacks! The greens ones get super sour once they are frozen. Hopefully it gets warm where you are soon.

DC is so great. I was sad I missed the blossoms this year, but I plan on being there next year for sure.

& Thank you so much for the kind words. I also need to focus on strength and toning. I have heard great things about tone it up! Let me know how that works for you!

xo

• Shauna

Okay, I’m OBSESSED with those palm/floral looking shorts! Do you mind sharing where they’re from? They’re adorable!
    I’m also really interested in a running post! You seem to have done a lot to improve and I’d love to learn what you did 🙂

Reply to Shauna

Hey Shauna!

Thank you 🙂 They are from Fabletics! Kate Hudson’s line is one of my favorites.

My running post will go up soon. Still waiting on some things to get here for the package 😀

• Lisa

Where are those floral shorts from?! They are so adorable. I would love if you would do a post on your favorite clothes/ swimwear for summer 🙂

Reply to Lisa
  • Liz

Can you please do a post on your running? I’m a fellow runner, and I’m super impressed with the progress you’ve made! I’d love to shave that kind of time off my own pace, and would love reading about how you did it. Do you follow any kind of plan or program? What do the runs themselves look like? I can’t seem to break 10 minute miles, unless its a short distance – and even then 9:45 is about as fast as I can manage. I’m eager for others’ ideas and experiences in how to improve speed! Thank you 🙂
    (By the way, the running certainly is paying off! You look fantastic lately)

Reply to Liz

Hi Liz!:)

I am working on a running post and hope to have it up soon!

That pace definitely happened naturally as I improved. The more I ran, the faster I got. I just stuck to my own plan and listened to my body. The last time I stuck to a plan, I got injured. I was running 10 minutes miles for months and there is nothing wrong with that. I started focussing on how long I could run for vs how fast I could run. The speed will happen naturally the better you get.

& thank you so much for the kind words! That means a lot!

• Kaylee

Wow those trails are beautiful!! That would definitely motivate me to run more 🙂

Reply to Kaylee
  • Andrea

Hey!! Love your posts! And what brand are your chambray type shoes with leather laces? You wore them with the jean shorts. So cute! You are my outfit inspiration 🙂

Reply to Andrea
  • kelly

Hey, are you going vegetarian? Also, what are Gatorade gels?

I love smoothies or anything fruity to have poolside!

Never been to D.C. but it looks awesome!

I just had a baby 4 weeks ago so I’m in that in between stage where I can do some exercise, but I shouldn’t over do it. I’ve been walking a lot, but I’d like to find a good workout YouTube channel to follow. My goal is to feel like I did pre pregnancy by the time it’s officially Summer!

Reply to kelly

Hi Kelly!

I am not going vegetarian, but I do like to eat vegetarian meals most of the week. I cannot give up animal meat because I am anemic and have a hard time holding onto iron. Sure, I could get iron from plant based foods, but it is a different iron that comes from meat. The plant iron is called non-heme iron. My body doesn’t absorb the non-heme iron the same way that it absorbs the heme iron in meat. My doctor told me several years ago that I needed to start eating more chicken and steak, so I make sure to get it twice a week. If i don’t, I get super cold, tired and feel pretty week. It’s not fun! The anemia runs in the family.

Gatorade gels are little carb energy chews. They’re great for pre workout or during your workout when you don’t have the chance to eat before you workout. I like to keep a couple with me on my run because they are small and easy to eat. I like that they are a bit sour because the trails dry up my throat, making it hard to breathe.

You should definitely put DC on your bucket list. It’s great!

Congrats on your baby! That is so exciting. Enjoy being a mom and try not to beat yourself up on exercise or diet. I’m sure you’ll have a great and active summer!

xo

• Jay

Your legs girl…Nice work!

Reply to Jay
  • Kelly

If you’re here still on Monday you should go to the November Project workout!

Reply to Kelly
  • Ashleigh

Hi taralynn!
    1) I LOVE fresh fruit for a poolside snack, and strangely enough, a cheese plate..?
    2) I am from Australia, so I have never visited America however, I am coming In July and we are visiting DC, I’m so excited to experience the American culture.
    3) I am finally able to hit the gym again now after an injury so that in itself is a goal to me! 😊

Reply to Ashleigh

There is nothing wrong with wine and a cheese plate by the pool! I usually like to do something like that when the sun starts to go down.

You’ll LOVE DC! 🙂 Make sure to do more than just the monuments 🙂

Glad you’re healthy!

• Debra

Well done on the personal record! It’s always awesome to reach new goals. Got to love those healthy smoothies too.

Reply to Debra
  • Whtiney

Morning star black bean burgers all the way! I just ate my last one a couple of days ago. Need to go buy more asap.

1. Hmm. I don’t really have a favorite pool side snack haha. Too much fun to think about snacks XD

2. I’ve never been to D.C. but my cousin works for the pentagon so maybe i’ll get to visit her up there one day.

3. Fitness goal, I am actually starting to run and actually kind of liking it haha. I’ve always hated running. Oh and I’ve officially lost 30 lbs since a couple of months ago. So that was cool to find out this morning.

Reply to Whtiney

I just had my last one of Thursday and I’ll be at the store to grab them too. I need to find them wholesale somewhere.

1. I’m such a pool snacker lol
      2. Yes! It’s so much fun and we just did the pentagon tour yesterday 🙂 My bro works there.
      3. I used to hate running too! Nice job on your weight loss that is so great!

• Brittany

1. My favorite poolside snack is definitely watermelon! I love how juicy it is and always helps me rehydrate on a hot day. Since it is mostly water, it doesn’t make me feel bloated (nobody wants that when they are poolside!)
    2. I went to Washington D.C. with my family last summer and loved it! There wasn’t enough time to see everything I wanted to so I definitely need to go back again soon! We went to Madame Tussauds Wax Museum, The Crime Museum (my favorite, but I see it’s closed now), Smithsonian, a Memorial tour… I loved all of them! I can’t wait to go back and explore more!
    3. I hit a fitness goal of running 3 miles without stopping (it’s a start!) I am trying to get more into running so hitting small goals is so important to me as I am on my way to reaching the bigger goal! Thanks for all the running inspiration.
    Have a good weekend! 🙂

Reply to Brittany

1. Watermelon is SO SO good in the summer and especially by the poo..

2. There definitely isn’t enough time to see everything. I love coming back over and over!

3. Nice job on the running goal! That is so awesome 🙂

• Lindsay @ A Runnaroundd Life

LOVE all your outfits—they’re so pretty and perfect for summertime. I’ve never been to D.C. but it’s definitely on my list. I feel like every middle school class in the history of the United States has visited…but not mine, haha! Can’t wait to go some day.

Reply to Lindsay @ A Runnaroundd Life
  • Katherine Sanford

Hi Taralynn,

Quick question i hope you don’t mind me asking. What size are you wearing in the dress that’s for sale in your shop? The one that has the knot tie in the front and is black and white stripes. My figure is similar to yours and I’m around 5’7 I just want to make sure I order the right size!

Reply to Katherine Sanford
  • Jaime

First of all – I just bought those spicy black bean burgers for the first time the other day and I’m OBSESSED with them! I have them with a bit of cheddar cheese and chipotle salsa – yummy. Also that jenga drinking game is brilliant – I may have to try it! Have you ever played the workout with a deck of cards? It seems really cool, I’ve been meaning to give it a try.

1. I like to have really light food when I’m by the pool because otherwise I feel heavy and bloated. I like fresh berries, watermelon, a smoothie, etc. If I’m craving something salty – chips and salsa hits the spot.
    2. The holocaust museum is a must-see. My dad’s side of the family is Jewish, so it was crazy to think what my ancestors went through. Particularly seeing the room full of shoes taken at the concentration camps..it’s unsettling.
    3. I’ve been trying to step it up with my strength training – I’ve been regularly working out 5-6 days/week but I feel like I’ve plateaued with strength. Trying to tone up my arms and back a lot more. If you have any tips I’m all ears 🙂 Also I’m getting back into running after taking a break from it for awhile, doing other forms of cardio instead. It’s definitely a slow start!

Reply to Jaime

They’re sooooo good!! & THANK YOU! The game was super fun.

1. That all sounds like great pool food.
      2. I loved the holocaust museum. It was very sad too.
      3. Keep on kicking butt!

• Patricia

Hey your legs are looking fab from all that running girl! Are those Asics I see you wearing? Would you recommend them? Thinking about buying a pair since I’ve started running and my knees are getting really sore (I wear Nike frees and apparently they’re not great for the joints). I just don’t know if Asics are worth the investment….

Reply to Patricia
  • Amanda

Are you becoming a vegetarian? 😉 I’m an unofficial vegetarian, I just prefer it and choose meatless 99% of the time

Reply to Amanda

Hi Amanda!

I never want to put labels on what I eat but I do eat a lot of vegetarian meals 🙂 I try to only eat meat twice a week.

• Lana

I recommend instead of thinking about labels think of the animals being tortured and slaughtered for a minute in a humans mouth. In Asia, they eat dogs, like Grumples and I know you would be horrified if he was killed for a humans food. Cows, chickens, pigs, lambs, goats etc. feel pain, love and fear exactly the same as Grumples, but you don’t hurt him, but think it is okay to hurt and kill them. Please I implore you to not call it a diet label for humans but acknowledge the animals! <3

Reply to Lana
      • Lana

you should try vegan meals! Unfortunately dairy and egg industries kill just as many baby chickens and cows as the meat industry. Morning star farms uses all abused factory farmed cows for their dairy and eggs from farms that grind up thousands of live male baby chickens each day.

Try Gardien brand bean burgers they are vegan an no baby cows need to be murdered for the milk to put in them!

Reply to Lana
  • Chelsea

1.Probably watermelon, grapes and I love cheez-its! Those all make me think of summer and the pool!
    2. I have, actually! It was a fairly short trip but I did get to go to the Smithsonian, the White House, Ford Theatre, and we went to Mt. Vernon to George Washingtons house. I can’t really pick a favorite because it was all so cool! I want to go back and explore more!
    3. I’ve been in the beginning stages of fitness so I haven’t reached many. You’re PR time is incredible! I hope I can reach that time someday!! What do you recommend for starting out running? Do you do intervals at all? I’ve mainly stick to my elliptical because I don’t like running by myself in this area. But I have a dog that needs walked and so maybe I can get her to go run with me.

Reply to Chelsea

1. Watermelon is so good by the pool.

2. I need to go to the Ford Theatre!

3. When you first start running, do not focus on time 🙂 focus on running a really slow pace and running longer. Once you can run 30 minutes without stopping, then worry about time. Don’t do it everyday either! Lots of water, make a good playlist, and enjoy it!!

• Linda

Your photos are so fun on Instagram! Thank you for posting all about my city 🙂

Reply to Linda
  • x

your eyebrows look like sperms and your hair needs some brushing. wtf takes your awkward pictures? like, oh! i’m running by myself, here’s a picture of my calf! other than exercising and eating and drinking coffee, you do nothing all day. so productive!

Reply to x
    • Allie

I don’t understand who goes out of their way, taking the time to type, with no purpose other than to be mean and insulting. My young son knows we don’t hurt other people! Emotionally of physically. The fact you don’t even put your name up? Shows that on some level you are aware this kind of behaviour is just unacceptable and disgusting. Honestly, just leave me shaking my head in disgust and fearing my child will have to deal with bullies like you in life.

Reply to Allie
    • Alyson

When looking scrolling through these pictures I actually thought your eye brows looked on point and was thinking how I LOVED the beach blown hair look. You’re adorable 🙂

Reply to Alyson
    • Jacque

Tara’ brows are fine and so is her hair. Even if Tara got nothing accomplished during the day, she looks happy and does what she enjoys. If you don’t enjoy reading her blog then don’t bother!

Reply to Jacque

Thank you. Have a great day.

• Kailey

DC: Baked and Wired DUH! Holocaust and Spy Museum in that order so that you have something light hearted after the Holocaust. Tidal Basin for cute pics!

If you have a chance take the Metro into Bethesda and explore the cute areas down there (my hometown area) Cava Mezze Grill for an awesome healthy Greek bowl (like Chipotle but with Greek inspired ingredients).

Have fun!!

Reply to Kailey
  • Jessie @ The Acquired Sass

1. It’s been years since I’ve lounged poolside, but I hung out at the lake last year & made sure to have a smoothie, some watermelon & a drink or two. Margarita, or a mojito, something fresh & summery is usually my pick.

2. Ugh. Been lots of times. Don’t particularly care for the city. You always seem to find cool places, so I think you’ve got this one covered.

3. Not been hitting many goals recently. Running a half marathon this Sunday which I’ve set a few goals for. But am excited to work on my speed & race some more 5Ks soon. I usually take the summer to diversify my fitness. I bike, hike & swim a lot. I still run, but not as often since it gets so hot & muggy here. Somehow that seems to affect my running more than anything else.

Also, congrats on your running progress! It’s so rewarding to have really great runs like that. 🙂

Reply to Jessie @ The Acquired Sass

Hi Jessie!

The lake is one of my favorite spots. I miss all the days on the lake in Iowa! Watermelon is a great lake/summer snack. You can’t go wrong with a margarita or mojito!

DC is great:) Even if you don’t like the downtown/museums, there is so much around it to explore. I think you’d really like all the hiking trails around DC and the MT Vernon trail!

Running a half marathon is amazing! I can’t wait to hear all about it. You’re so casual about it, too! I love that. The hot and muggy temps are no fun for running and that’s why I need to start going earlier. It’s already hot and muggy out here…it’s 7am….

& THANK YOU! I just hope I can keep it up!

• Rachael

Tara you are killing it with those legs! All your posts make me want to check the Charlotte area out!

Reply to Rachael
  • Kelly

My favorite poolside snack is a margarita! 🙂

Enjoy your trip!

Reply to Kelly
  • Lauren

I love carrots and hummus or a variety of fresh fruit by the pool! I have been to DC a couple of times, and you definitely have to check out Farmers Fishers Bakers on K street, they have a very cool variety of foods and neat salads that you would probably like! I also love walking around Georgetown just to check out the different houses, but I think you covered that already haha. For fitness recently I have been trying to get into running and have been trying intervals of walking and running! I’m also trying to learn more about strength training so I can tone! Have a good time in DC!

Reply to Lauren

Carrots and hummus are a great summer snack. One of my friends just introduced me to the best brand of hummus in Charlotte. It comes in all kinds of fun flavors and is sold locally, so I’m so hooked on that snack lately.

I am going to have to try that out the next time I am there. Georgetown is one of my favorite spots and I love the back homes and all of their character.

My friend and I love doing run/walk intervals! This may also sound really weird, but we walk backwards up the hills (only when the trail is empty) it’s great on the legs/butt!

xo

• Jennifer

bahahaha freezing your nuts…

1. Watermelon for SURE in the summer!

2. Yes! I got to take the basic tour of the white house (highly recommend) and when we got to go through, we were lined up outside and got to watch Obama walk out onto the helicopter. It was pretty cool to see up close and personal!

3. I’ve been able to run further! Although I want to start running at least one mile everyday as a way to stay active. Having a rest day of course, but on the days I don’t feel like doing anything at least I’ll have done something! Even if it’s one measly mile. Still better than no miles at all!

Have fun in DC 🙂

Reply to Jennifer

I’m great with words 😉

Watermelon seems to be a favorite and I can see why!

The White House tour is something I haven’t done yet! That would be way too cool.

I used to run one mile everyday and it was such a fun/quick way to get active!

& thank you!

• Anonymous

Just wondering what kind of hummus you were eating in the last pics? It looks purple on my phone.lol

Reply to Anonymous

It’s the local hummus I bought at the Atherton Market in Charlotte. One was garlic, one was roasted red pepper and that last purple one was black bean! All delicious.

• Molly

Your garlic Parmesan spaghetti squash looks so yummy. How did you make it?

Reply to Molly
  • Emily Weir

Loving all of the bright green trees in your pictures! Spring is definitely here and makes for perfect running conditions.

1. Popsicles are definitely my favorite poolside snack. If you get the right ones, they can be lower in sugar but still refreshing in the heat.
    2. DC is one of my favorite cities. The air and space museum is pretty cool, but next time I go back I want to make a stop at the FBI headquarters (probably to fulfill my childhood dream of being a secret agent 🙂 ).
    3. I finished a Ragnar Trails Relay a few weeks ago, which left me feeling incredibly accomplished. It was 20 miles in about 20 hours in the hills of Georgia. Tough but LOADS of fun!

Reply to Emily Weir
  • Emily B

I feel like everyone I know or follow on social media is in/going to/just got back from DC. SO jealous! I love that city so much! The big obvious are the monuments – but I know you saw most of those last summer. The Holocaust and American History museums are my absolute favorite. Arlington National Cemetery is another favorite. Such rich history and such a humbling and moving place to visit. Plus if you walk instead of doing the tour, you get in some major steps!
    An off-the-beaten track thing we did was visit Eastern Market on the weekend. It’s in the Capitol Hill area and on weekends they have a big flea/craft/farmers market. It was so fun and we found some cool unique souvenirs there! We also visited the Botanical Gardens by the Capitol which was pretty cool!
    I know you get a TON of restaurant suggestions but these were a few of my favorites: Ted’s Bulletin (retro decor, AMAZING food), Founding Farmers (fresh food..you could really love it I think), GCDC (artisan grilled cheese sandwiches…AMAZING…close to the White House), and Good Stuff Eatery (awesome burgers and the BEST toasted marshmallow milkshake. It was seriously phenomenal)
    Have fun in DC…super jealous!

I have been doing well at maintaining lately. But my upcoming goal is to train for a 10k over the summer and run one in the fall. I also want to do more strength training…I’ve also done tons of cardio and less strength work outs but I want to up my strength training as well as train for the 10k.

Reply to Emily B

DC is great:) Even though it was rainy and foggy, it was so fun. I don’t think DC EVER gets old. All of your DC recommendations are some of my favorite. It was fun showing my friend around!

We the Eastern market, but I actually liked the one on King Street better (for produce) but the art was better at the Eastern. I need to make it to the Botanical gardens!

Founding Farmers was GREAT!!! All of your other recommendations are going on my list for my next trip in three weeks.

Nice job on your running/workout goals! Good luck with the 10k!

• Emily B

ALSO! I just tried your Taralynn-cinno at the coffee shop I work at. It was PERFECT. Added 2 packets of stevia and it was awesome. Refreshing without all the junk! Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

Reply to Emily B