Red Velvet Brownies

IMGj_0163
Once you try homemade brownies from scratch, you’ll never be able to eat the boxed stuff ever again. These homemade red velvet brownies are the perfect dessert to make for Valentines day. They are moist, fudgy, and unbelievable chocolatey. The cream cheese frosting is perfectly whipped and sweet. They are also surprisingly super easy to whip together. Making homemade brownies can seem pretty intimidating, but once you do it, you’ll never go back. You may have to double the recipe becuase these lasted twenty minutes at our family get-together.
IMG_0169

Ingredients

• 1 1/4 Cups Unsalted Butter
  • 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
  • 4 Large Eggs
  •  2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
  • 1 Teaspoon Almond Extract
  • 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
  • Red Food Coloring
  • Frosting: 6 ounces Cream Cheese, 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter, 2 Teaspoons Vanilla, 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar, 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
IMG_9985
Melt butter on medium heat over the stove.
IMG_9988
Add semi-sweet chocolate chips and continue to stir.
IMG_9990
Once the chocolate chips are melted, add the unsweetened cocoa powder.
IMG_9992
Stir until the chocolate is lump free and smooth.
IMG_9996

Add the chocolate to a new bowl and place it on the counter or in the refriderator to cool for ten minutes.

IMG_9979
While the chocolate is cooling, mix the eggs and sugar together.
IMG_9994

Mix in the vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt.

IMG_9999
Mix in the cooled chocolate.
IMG_0005
Turn speed down to low and beat in the flour.
IMG_0008
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
IMG_0013
Add in drops of food coloring until the brownie batter is red (optional)
IMG_0016
Coat a baking dish with butter and pour the batter into the baking dish.
IMG_0018
Bake 30-35 minutes.
IMG_0144
Allow the brownies to cool for an hour. and then cut into squares.
IMG_0165
Prepare the frosting by mixing together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, sugar and powdered sugar together in the electric mixer.
IMG_0170

IMG_0064

INGREDIENTS

• 1 1/4 Cups Unsalted Butter
  • 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
  • 4 Large Eggs
  •  2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
  • 1 Teaspoon Almond Extract
  • 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
  • Red Food Coloring

DIRECTIONS:

1. Melt butter on medium heat over the stove.
  2. Add semi-sweet chocolate chips and continue to stir.
Once the chocolate chips are melted, add the unsweetened cocoa powder.
Stir until the chocolate is lump free and smooth.
Add the chocolate to a new bowl and place it on the counter or in the refrigerator to cool for ten minutes.
While the chocolate is cooling, mix the eggs and sugar together.
  7. Mix in the vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt.
Mix in the cooled chocolate.
Turn speed down to low and beat in the flour.
  10.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  11.
Add in drops of food coloring until the brownie batter is red.
  12.
Coat a baking dish with butter and pour the batter into the baking dish.
  13.
Bake 30-35 minutes.
  14.
Allow the brownies to cool for an hour. and then cut into squares.
  15.
  16. Spread the cream cheese frosting over the brownies. You can do it before you slice the brownies or after. *I like giving the option of adding cream cheese frosting.

Enjoy!

IMG_0177
18743_1305762438867_6383722_n
1. What are your Valentine’s day traditions?
2. Do you LOVE or HATE Valentine’s day?
3. Red velvet brownies or red velvet cake?
IMG_0568
Check out more of my Food Lion Recipes by clicking the logo above!

tumblr_inline_myssr22u8w1qgeygd

Want to make a healthier brownie!? Try my Whole Wheat Avocado Brownies!

Comments

• danielle

We love brownies in my house. I never would have thought to make them red velvet for Valentines Day. Thank you for the great idea! I will be trying.

Reply to danielle
  • Jen H.

Hi Taralynn!

Your brownies look DELICIOUS! I think they would be perfect for my teacher’s lounge at work…teacher’s need sweets to get through the day 🙂

1. I’m currently single so I don’t have any vday plans or traditions….but I work at a grade school and the kids take Valentine’s Day pretty seriously. We have class parties and play games, have treats, and pass out valentines. I think it’s even more special than any dinner plans I could make. The kids are so innocent and love the day for exactly what it is. Plus they give me lots of chocolate 🙂

2. I find excitement in just about every holiday. There is something about holidays…everyones in a good mood and happy; so yes…LOVE it!

3. I’m going to say Red Velvet Brownies. Your pictures look so moist (yes I hate that word) and rich. I think those paired with cream cheese frosting would be ideal. Plus come on, anything with cream cheese frosting is delicious. I could eat cream cheese frosting on a flipflop and like it!!!

Reply to Jen H.

Teachers definitely need sweets!

1. I think Valentines day at school sounds like so much fun. It was my favorite holiday! I loved passing out Valentines…especially to my crush! It’s actually hilarious. One of my best friends in high school is currently dating my elementary crush. I love it. We laugh about it all the time. I bet you get the best valentines as a teacher! Our teacher used to keep scrap books of every gift/card from the year.

2. I also love holidays!

3. MOIST may be a crappy word, BUT, these brownies were so MOIST AND DELICIOUS! It took me a while to LOVE cream cheese frosting. I like it homemade way better!

• kelly

I am sure your brownies are amazing, but I LOVE LOVE boxed brownies. lol

1. My husband and I paint pottery for our valentines date and usually go out to dinner.
    2. I love valentines day. I don’t understand why people hate it so much. Love is wonderful. And candy is also wonderful. 🙂
    3. Both are great in my opinion. When it comes to chocolately sweets, I pretty much like them all.

Reply to kelly
  • Brooklyn

Red velvet is my favourite, these look insanely delicious!
    Yum!
    Thanks for sharing, I can’t wait to make these 🙂

Reply to Brooklyn
  • Jessie @ The Acquired Sass

1. Every year I make pink strawberry cake with cream cheese icing! I think I’m going to convince the BF that on the 14th we should make waffles using strawberry cake batter for breakfast. Mmm.

2. Meh. Not a big fan. I’m not a gifts person, I prefer experiences. And Valentines just always seems to be about gifts.

3. IDK what it is, but not a fan of red velvet at ALL. Even though I know it’s just chocolate. I can’t get past the color!

Reply to Jessie @ The Acquired Sass

Pink strawberry cake sounds so good! I like to make angel food cake with red hots. It was my grandma’s specialty. I bet those waffles would be so good!!

True:) We like to do a dinner on Valentines day and I think this year we are cooking something fun together!

That is totally understandable 🙂

• Andrea @ Blog Strength

No traditions here, I’ve always been pretty indifferent to the holiday. I do love making treats for my son to hand out to his class every year. But I think I’ll make these brownies for the BF to take to the Super Bowl party he’s going to.

Reply to Andrea @ Blog Strength

I think that would be so fun to do as a mom. I know a lot of schools are taking that out! I think it’s so sad. Give the kids something to look forward to 🙁 You should make the brownies with team colored frosting !

• Ashton Jury

Love your <3 Top! That is adorable! I have never been a huge Valentine's Day person only because it's my brothers birthday. So we usually celebrate that, and formerly working in the service industry its the 2nd busiest day of the year behind Mother's Day. So my husband usually takes me to lunch or brunch a few days before at any little French place I pick.
    I do have to say I love all the decor of Valentines Day, in fact this year I am taking a page out of Leslie Knope's book (Amy Pohler on Parks and Rec, which if you haven't watched that show you should its all on Netflix) and will be celebrating Galentine's Day: A day to celebrate Lady friends! Also I can't wait to make these brownies, and I'd have to say I love Red Velvet Cupcakes!

Reply to Ashton Jury
  • Bobbie Lea

1. Well I’m usually single and working so there’s that, but this year I’m seeing someone but I’m gonna ask that we NOT go out on Valentine’s Day, we are a new couple and I hate obligatory gifts and pressure. I’d rather us get together on the 15th and cuddle.
    2. Typically hate, I don’t like feeling like gifts are mandatory. Blah. I’ts uncomfortable
    3. Brownies fo sho! However I’d like to note that your recipe doesn’t contain vinegar and I was always told that to make it red velvet you need vinegar or else it’s just chocolate cake/brownie with red food coloring.

Reply to Bobbie Lea
  • Tara

These brownies look incredible!! My mom has always gotten me a Valentine’s gift, and she still does! My husband and I don’t really have any traditions. Every year is different. We exchange cards and sometimes he’ll send me flowers, which I love! Some years I’ll cook and others we’ll go out. It doesn’t matter what we do, as long as we can celebrate together!

Reply to Tara
  • Brianna

Valentines day is different for me every year, but the one this that is always the same is my dad brings both my sister and I chocolate and flowers. It’s the sweetest thing and I honestly look forward to it every year <3

And seriously, red velvet anything!!

Reply to Brianna

I love that. Growing up, Valentines day was always my Mom and I’s favorite holiday. We’d go out to dinner together and she’d give me a huge Valentines box in the morning. She still give me a huge Valentines day box 🙂

Your dad sounds like the cutest!

• Heather @ Polyglot Jot

umm thank you for this deliciousness! I agree with the comment above me…i love your food photos THE BEST!I think ill give these a whirl this weekend!

Reply to Heather @ Polyglot Jot
  • Dorka

I just love your food photography! The settings alsways look so cozy and most of the times they just make me wanna drink a cup of coffe, haha! xx

Reply to Dorka
  • Rachel

I just caught up on your previous postings, hope you’re feeling better and happy late birthday! Did you get any presents?!
    1. My Valentine’s Day tradition so far is to go on a long hike with the hubby, we usually cook and eat dinner together and just genuinely have fun on that day. It’s my birthday the day before and my hubbys a few days before that (7th) so our week is packed with a bunch of fun stuff!
    2. LOVE, it gives me an excuse to eat chocolate
    3. Red Velvet Brownies! These look delicious can’t wait to try!

Reply to Rachel

Thank you Rachel! 🙂 & yes! Spending time with friends and family was my favorite present of all though!

1. That sounds like a fantastic Valentines day! Hiking and Cooking is the best!
      2. You never need an excuse to eat chocolate 😉
      3. Thanks!:)I like then brownies better too!!

• Emily