Snow Day in the Queen City

IMG_9611

Hi, Everyone!

I’veย had a pretty exciting day. Iย woke up to a beautiful white bed of snow. I love the snow and the great part of living in Charlotte is that it snows at least once a year. I was so excited to take Santino out this morning because it was his first time ever seeing the snow and Grumples is obsessed with it.

IMG_9612

It’s hard to believe it was 60 degrees seven days ago and it’s supposed to be 65 degrees next week. It’s going to continueย to snow and rain until tomorrow afternoon. Growing up in Iowa, this would be nothing, but the city of Charlotte doesn’t have the plows or the preparations because it usually happens once a year. It’s smart to stay indoors or stay close to your house. Being from Iowa, I’mย used to driving these roads.

toast of dilworth

My friends and I went up the road for breakfast at Toast of Dilworth. It was the only place open and we were the only ones in there.

toast of dilworth

I thought their sign was adorable. I love a restaurant with a sense of humor.
Toast of Dilworth

Coffee first.

Toast of Dilworth

And why not a peach bellini?

Toast of Dilworth

I went with two over medium eggs, bacon, wheat toast and fresh fruit. Toast of Dilworth is delicious. Their staff is always really friendly and we had fun chatting with them.

Charlotte NC Snow

I decided to drive uptown so I could snag some photos of the city covered in snow.

Charlotte NC Snow Charlotte NC Snow

IMG_9672

No booooots! ahhhh…

Charlotte NC Snow Charlotte NC Snow

Charlotte NC Snow

On our way back, we picked up the dogs and took them to the field to play in the snow.

Charlotte NC Snow

This was the best part of my day. Grumples turns into a little puppy again. Tino and Chipper (our friends’ dog) had a blast playing in their first snowfall.

Charlotte NC Snow IMG_9745 IMG_9746 ย ย IMG_9779 IMG_9780 IMG_9782 Charlotte NC Snow Charlotte NC Snow IMG_9789 IMG_9795 IMG_9803 ย IMG_9813 IMG_9815 IMG_9824 IMG_9831 Charlotte NC Snow

We couldn’t get them to leave. As soon as we grabbed the leashes, they took off and it turned into a game of tag. They loved every minute of it.

Charlotte NC Snow

We drove around looking for a coffee shop while the dogs were all sound asleep in the truck.

Charlotte NC Snow Charlotte NC Snow IMG_9874

Until one heard me open up a treat bag…

IMG_9878

The only place open for coffee was the gas station. All the Starbucks and local coffee shops were closed.

Charlotte NC Snow

Tonight, we are doing Friday Margaritas!

1. What is your favorite part of the snow?
  2. Does is snow where you live?
  3. What did you do on your snow days as a kid?

Comments

• Taylor

Your photos are beautiful! This post made me smile.. I live in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania and have a golden retriever who looks identical to the dog in your photos. She loves the snow too! I have always wanted to start a blog and yours is giving me more inspiration to start mine. Thank you for your posts and sharing everything with us ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Taylor
  • Ulga

Gorgeous photos!

Reply to Ulga
  • Hannah

The pups are loving the snow. Mine won’t even go out!

Reply to Hannah
  • Gigi

Where did you get that pink coat?

Reply to Gigi
  • Tina

Those puppy faces! I can’t take it! I need to find a park for my puppies to go to.

Reply to Tina
  • Jessica Write

I love the snow and miss it because I live in Texas. This post just made my day!

Reply to Jessica Write
  • Emilyy

You live your life to the fullest and make each day magical. Keep inspiring.

Reply to Emilyy
  • Rebecca M

I’m from Baton Rouge, Louisiana and pretty much the one day that it snowed within the past ten years I was in high school and my mom checked my brother and I out so we could go and “play in the snow.” That pretty much ended up with us staying inside trying to be warm!
    Us Louisianians can’t handle snow on the roads, that’s for sure. I guess we can’t really handle the cold at all! Haha. But, I really enjoy your blog, I’ve come across it a few times and just really enjoy the things you post about.I hope you have a lovely weekend and stay safe and warm!

Reply to Rebecca M

Your mom is awesome! I hate the cold and I don’t know how I managed to live in the midwest. Thank you for the kind words about my blog ๐Ÿ™‚ Stay warm down there!

• Stephanie

Hello Taralynn!
    I live in Montreal (Canada) and snow start to fall from november/december until late april. When I was a kid I loved snowballs fight! And sledding, of course. We don’t usually have non-days school or shops being closed because of the snow! It happen one or two times a year. Now I like to walk and play with my shiba-inu, Sakura,she really enjoy snow!

Reply to Stephanie
  • shanna

my favorite part of snow is when it melts and goes away. heh. I am not a fan of winter at all. it does snow where I live (eastern wa), but not like it used to. we rarely got snow days when we did get snow, but when we did we spent them sledding. that’s how we spent all our non-school days when we were younger. as I got older and grew out of that I hated snow days because the day had to be made up in june. no fair!
    those pups are amazing! they had a blast!

Reply to shanna

That is all understandable. I’m in love with the first (and usually only) snowfall! After that, I’m ready for summer. It was 60 degrees today and I loved running outside.

• Madeline

Hey Lady,
    I’m trying to search and find it because I know I’ve seen it in a post before but I’m failing at the moment. What type of camera do you use? Have you taken any little classes for it or just read the owners manual?

Your shots of the dogs in the snow are great!

Since my little blog is pretty new I haven’t invested in a camera yet but it is so obvious the difference between and iPhone picture and REAL camera.

Thanks – looking forward to seeing your furniture projects and the house!

Reply to Madeline
  • Alexandra

Your photos are great! The pups look like they really enjoyed the snow! ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’m from Minnesota, so it snows here like half the year. Haha. Lately it has actually been too cold for snow (like -15 to -30 degrees!)
    But it has warmed up a little, enough to enjoy snowboarding and skating!
    Cheers.

Reply to Alexandra
  • Andrea @ Chasing Strength

It snows often here in Toronto! Although at the moment there are plenty of bare patches on the ground. I love the dog photos, really captures how much fun they were having in the snow.

Reply to Andrea @ Chasing Strength
  • kelly

I love your photos! Can’t believe how much snow you got!! I’m from Wisconsin, so the snow is something I’m very familiar with. I go skiing a lot in the winter. It’s a great way to exercise outside during winter! I’m ready for Spring though!!

Reply to kelly

Thanks Kelly! We got soooo much (for Charlotte anyways) You guys get a ton of snow and I know how that is! I do miss the midwest winters, but the warmer weather is nice too:) I don’t think I could relive that! EVEN THOUGH IT’S BEAUTIFUL.

I’M SO READY for spring!

• Brooklyn

This is my first year without snow and it has been so strange! I really miss it. Your photos are gorgeous!
    Margaritas sound like a great plan ?

Reply to Brooklyn
  • Annalisa

I LOVE snow. My favorite part now is the snow day breaks from work and school to catch up on sleep :). I also love walking my dogs in the snow. They love it!
    I’m also originally from Iowa so what we’ve been getting in NC doesn’t seem like much, but you’re right–since it rarely snows, they don’t have a ton of supplies to deal with it like back home!
    As a kid, snow days were full of sledding, snow forts, hot chocolate, the whole shebang. There’s nothing like an Iowa winter!

Reply to Annalisa
  • Kelli

1.) Love looking at it from INSIDE, and only when I don’t HAVE to go anywhere. Sadly, I don’t even have the option of snow days anymore since I work in TV. I HAVE to go to work and be there to put on the air what IS closed for others. We always joke about tornadoes. If one starts coming down the road by our station, do we have permission to take cover ourselves and NOT be on the air? ๐Ÿ™‚

2.) Ohhhh yeah. Green Bay, Wisconsin… gotta love it. We just had a 14 inch snowstorm not too long ago. Nicely had to walk a mile in the unplowed roads with a shovel to rescue my husband who was stuck in the middle of the road. TALK ABOUT A WORKOUT.

3.) Always had to watch Price is Right on TV. So weird, I know. But I felt so special when I got to do that. And then did the usual sledding and tubing at the park down the road.

Reply to Kelli

Hahaha that is understandable.

You have a pretty important job though ๐Ÿ™‚ Funny reading your comment as I’m watching the movie Twister on T.V. right now!

You guys get so much snow! My friend Anna is always dodging the snow! (she lives in Wisconsin)

• Mallori

1. I love how quiet snow is. I love going on walks in the snow because it is eerily quiet.

2. I live in Denver, Colorado so we get a lot of snow. However, it is currently 61 degrees right now…did someone say outdoor run?! YES!

3. I am from Kentucky, so snow days growing up there consisted of eating snow cream, sledding ALL day, peppermint hot chocolate and a movie to end the afternoon!

Reply to Mallori
  • Marissa Dame

It has only flurried a tiny bit here in Columbia, SC… I want it to snow so badly! But your post made me feel like we had snow, and I love what you got for breakfast! I adore cafe breakfasts and bottomless cups of coffee. And cute doggies?? This blog post probably made my day (we can’t have a dog right now in our apartment, so I love seeing your puppies!).

Reply to Marissa Dame

Crazy how you are only an hour from us and we got so much snow! BUT, Columbia for some reason is ALWAYS warm! Thank you so much for the kind words about the post! ๐Ÿ™‚ I feel pretty lucky to have my pups!

• Lynn

I am so jealous of your day. I live in Phoenix and it doesn’t’ snow here. You really know how to celebrate and enjoy life.

Reply to Lynn
  • Rachael

I’m from Michigan and it is popular to complain incessantly about cold and snow there. Admittedly, I have never been a big fan of it until I moved to Vail, CO. This is my first winter out here and it is so beautiful to watch the snow out here. It is not uncommon to have it dump 2 feet of powder in 24 hours. It is so sunny here all winter, making it less depressing than grey, cloudy Midwest winters.

Reply to Rachael

I probably complained about the snow a ton when I lived in Michigan, Chicago, and Iowa! Now that it’s rarely here, I appreciate it more. I bet Vail is absolutely beautiful. We were looking into going there for a ski trip.

• Emily Weir

I’m so jealous of the snow! Can’t say we get any down in Tampa, but we probably wouldn’t know what to do with it if we did. The pics of the pups are great though! They’re definitely having the time of their lives. Stay warm and safe!

Reply to Emily Weir

Thank you Emily!

Nick and I are hoping to make it down that way to steal some heat!! They don’t really know what to do with the snow here either.

• Jen H.

Hi Taralynn!

1. I personally love the snow. There is nothing better than sitting by the window with a good book, blanket, and hot tea watching the snow fall. It’s so peaceful and comforting. I also get the itch when it snows to make a warm meal such as turkey chili or chicken noodle soup. The warm comfort food not only makes the house smell great but is the perfect way to warm up in the winter.

2. I live in Illinois right outside of Chicago so I am no stranger to snow!!

3. Since I was little we’ve spent our winters ice fishing and snowmobiling up in Wisconsin….we still do to this day! My childhood memories are filled with sitting around bonfires outside while it snowed, iceskating, and running outside to get to the tip-ups first! Whenever it snows now it always brings me back to those memories.

Reply to Jen H.

The snow is so peaceful. Chicken noodle soup on a snow day is perfect! ๐Ÿ™‚

I know what it’s like in Chicago during the winter…so cold!!!

That sounds like so much fun. I wish we could go outdoor iceskating here!

• Ashton Jury

Girl! You need to get yourself a pair of Hunter Rain boots, those things are amazing. I got laughed at buying mine a few years ago, but they have beena life saver here in California now that El Nino has hit. I love all of your pictures of the snow, you are really making me want to visit the Queen City. Love all the pics!

Reply to Ashton Jury
  • Hilary

Those puppies are adorable! Mine also loves the snow and goes crazy! This is my first year moving to a place that doesn’t get snow! Although I heard Atlanta had their first snow fall of the year as well!

Reply to Hilary

Thank you Hillary!

Oh, Atlanta is a fun place to be when it snows…..;) Hopefully you get to experience it, but from your own home! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Jessie M @ The Acquired Sass

Would you believe I NEVER got a snow day as a kid? Our school literally never cancelled. We had a few delays, but never a full day. Now HEAT days, in our school without AC were a definite thing.

I live in Pittsburgh, PA & it’s snowing as we speak. Forecast called for 1-3 inches & right now we’ve got about 6 & it’s still coming down…

My favorite part about snow is hiking when it’s fresh. Somehow when it snows the world just seems quieter.

Reply to Jessie M @ The Acquired Sass

We always got snow days in Iowa! Sometimes the roads were really bad and we’d still have to go to school, but it was always pretty random.

You guys get so much snow! I love that it’s slightly warmer when it snows ๐Ÿ™‚ The first snowfall, before anyone walks or drives on it, is so beautiful and peaceful!

• Tiffany J

1)Just seeing God’s beauty
    2.I live in the DFW metroplex in texas and it rarely snows.
    3.When it did snow technically it was ICE, school was closed and we all went to this huge hill and slid down it with anything we could find. After that we would all get together and have a huge snowball fight.

Reply to Tiffany J

1. It really is God’s beauty.

2. You guys get nice weather!

3. I hated snowball fights. The neighborhood boys threw them wayyyyy too hard!

• Emily Kaas

My favorite part of snow is when it snows the big puffy wet flakes because it is only 30 degrees outside. I am a Minnesota girl, born and raised in Minnesota, so I know all about snow and the different types of snow.

We rarely had snow days because the schools thought we could handle trudging through multiple feet of snow. However, when we did get a snow day I remember sledding in my backyard with my brother and making snow forts at the end of the driveway where their was extra snow from the snowplow.

Reply to Emily Kaas

I also love the big fluffy snow! I like when it falls gradually and none of that windy blizzard stuff!

By brother and I used to go sledding on our snow days too! There was a huge hill the whole town would go to.

• Marina @ Snackie Bird

We have super snow winter in Russia, but I try to be active anyway ๐Ÿ˜‰

Reply to Marina @ Snackie Bird
  • Kelsey

Do you ever miss the snow, being from Iowa? Or do you enjoy the warm weather too much?

I’m used to a lot of snow, and miss seeing it in the winter ๐Ÿ™

Reply to Kelsey

I LOVE the warm winter so much. We definitely get chilly weather and snow now and then, but I do not miss the constant snow and -20 temps!

• Carrie

Love the photos of your dogs running around in the snow. So sweet. Mmm I’m longing for a snow day now.

Reply to Carrie
  • Cassie

In California, we get absolutely ZERO snow LOL! It is getting colder out here though. The photography is so gorgeous! I love the snow photos, the windows, the city, the trees, you’re so talented!

Reply to Cassie
  • Amanda Vidal

I’m from West Virginia and I love when it snows due to the mountains and trees it makes a beautiful scenery but I don’t like the cold temperature lol. It is pouring down the snow here in West Virginia we are under a state of emergency right now. I have about 10 inches of snow at my house right now. When I was a little kid my cousin and I made snow forts and played outside in the snow until our Mamaw called us inside. She used her homemade hot chocolate recipe to make us hot chocolate.

Reply to Amanda Vidal

Hot chocolate sounds amazing! We are also under a state of emergency! Hope you’re staying warm.I bet the mountains are beautiful covered in snow.

• Amy

Hello fellow CLT Gal! I was so excited to wake up and see snow this morning! Your photos are beautiful and looked you had a great snow day! I hope you stay safe and warm. (:

xoxo
    Amy | pastelnpink.blogspot.com

Reply to Amy
  • Ally

Your pictures look awesome! We just recently rescued a pup and I would love to see what he does in the snow. I live in Charleston, SC and shockingly we do have a few flurries on our forecast tomorrow!

When I grew up in Ohio I loved snow storms. Hot chocolate and movies were my go to.

Enjoy the snow! ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Ally

Thanks Ally!

My friend from Charleston said they were getting a light sprinkle. You could alway come up to Charlotte for some snow ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thank you for rescuing your pup! I bet he just loves being in a new home.

Ohio gets super cold!

• Emily B

1. I love when the snowflakes are big and fluffy and when the snow coats the trees. So beautiful.
    2. I live in North Dakota. When DOESN’T It snow?! Lol!
    3. Usually cozied up inside watching motives. If wasn’t too terribly cold we would play outside.

Reply to Emily B
  • Sara

Looks like fun!!! The puppy’s are the best! My little Lilly loves snow too but she’s white and small so I lose her lol!!! Enjoy the weekend sister!!! Xoxoxo

Reply to Sara
  • Heather @ Polyglot Jot

I only love snow days when I dont have to be anywhere so this storm should be okay! Its hitting me (PA) tonight tomorrow and sunday morning. 12-18 inches expected. I used to love and still do love to drink hot chocolate, watch movies, and relax!

Reply to Heather @ Polyglot Jot