Almond Pecan Baklava

Almond Pecan Baklava Almond Pecan Baklava

PREP TIME:20 minutes
COOK TIME:30 minutes
SERVES:12

Almond Pecan Baklava

I made Baklava for the first time in ninth grade. It was for a history project, and ever since, I’ve been in love. Baklava is so light, fluffy, and full of my favorite flavors. I have to give it away every time I make it because I can’t get enough. I could eat the whole pan in one sitting. Each layer of phyllo dough has sweet chopped nuts with a buttery blend of honey and cinnamon. Baklava is a great dish to serve for the holidays. It’s unique and pairs perfectly with a shot of espresso.

IMG_0645

IMG_0653

Melt stick of butter.

IMG_0656

IMG_0659

IMG_0660

IMG_0661

Drizzle honey over the nut layers.

IMG_0667

Repeat layers 3-4 times.

IMG_0674

Almond Pecan Baklava

Almond Pecan Baklava

Allow the baklava to cool for 20-30 minutes before serving.

IMG_0759

One of my favorite ways to enjoy baklava is having it over a little scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Almond Pecan Baklava

And of course with a shot of espresso.

Almond Pecan Baklava

This baklava was so delicious. There are a couple ways you can store it. You can keep it covered out on the counter for 3-4 days, or frozen for months (it defrosts perfectly). That is guessing that there is any left.

You can get creative with baklava and add any extra ingredients you want. You can also make swaps to make it vegan or dairy free.

Almond Pecan Baklava Almond Pecan Baklava

• 1 Stick Butter
  • 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
  • 2 Tsp Almond Extract
  • Sprinkle Sugar

DIRECTIONS

1.  Gather your ingredients.
  2.  Melt stick of butter.
  3.  In a large bowl, mix the almonds, pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and almond extract together with 1/2 of the melted butter. Save the other half of butter for spreading over the phyllo dough layers.
  4.  Add 4-5 sheets of phyllo dough to the bottom of pan. You can use any shape or size of pan.
  5.  Spread melted butter over the layers of phyllo dough and top with 1/2 cup of nut filling. Spread the filling evenly.
  6.  Drizzle honey over the nut layers.
  7.  Repeat layers 3-4 times.
  8.  Top the last layer with two sheets of Phyllo dough and a dollop of nut filling. Drizzle honey over the top and sprinkle sugar on top.
  9.  Bake for 28-30 minutes at 350 degrees. The baklava should be lightly brown and crisp.
  10.  Allow the baklava to cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
  11.  ENJOY!

THREE QUESTIONS FOR YOU!

1. Have you ever had/made baklava before?
  2. Are any of you done Christmas shopping yet?
  3. What are your weekend plans?

Comments

• Nico

Is there any reason why you chose not to chop the pecans in your recipe? All the recipes I’ve seen for baklava call for chopped nuts, and it seems like it would be necessary to make the layers even.

Reply to Nico
  • Catherine

Love baklava, must make some homemade for christmas! Wouldn’t describe it as light and fluffy though! Whenever I’ve had it it’s been incredibly dense and rich!

Reply to Catherine
  • Emily Weir

This looks SO good. I’ve never made baklava since it seemed like it would be an intimidating recipe, but it doesn’t sound difficult at all! Although, like you, I think I’d have to give it away so I don’t eat it all myself 😉

Reply to Emily Weir
  • Brooklyn

Yum, I love baklava I’ve never thought to make my own!

I am done my Christmas shopping. It feels weird to be done so early.

I work all weekend 🙁 What about you?

Reply to Brooklyn

Oh it’s so good & you get to personalize it when you make it at home!

You’re done!? ugh. I have barely started. LUCKY. I’m hoping to get some shopping done tonight.

I worked on some projects all last night, did the same this morning, did a photography shoot for a friend, went out to lunch with some friends, and then helped nick work on the house 🙂 Back to work tonight. Nick wanted me to go to the Hornets game, but I don’t feel like being the only girl tonight/and I have a lot of work to catch up on! – especially classes!

• Brooklyn

I will definitely have to make some home made baklava!
        Yeah I’m so surprised I managed to get all of the shopping done so early, that never happens!
        Your weekend sounds pretty good so far, enjoy the rest of it!

Reply to Brooklyn
  • Bethany

Oh that looks SO good! I have heard of it but never had it before! Definitely going to try out this recipe!
    I actually am for the first time done with my Christmas shopping early! I’m due with my baby the 30th so wanted to be ahead this year!
    Our weekend is going to be spent making Christmas decorations at home. My little ones are sick:(
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

Reply to Bethany

Thank you Bethany! YOU MUST try baklava! It’s so so good.

I wish I was done 🙁 I’m hopefully going to get it all done soon! MAYBE tomorrow and tonight.

I hope your little ones get better! That is never fun 🙁 You guys can cuddle and watch Christmas movies! xo xo

• M.C.

Baklava is one of my favorite desserts! I make it for Christmas and Easter usually and sometimes dress it up by putting in pumpkin spice between the layers. I can also confirm that cutting it before baking helps a ton with presentation!
    And this weekend I’m decorating the house and having a Christmas party! Then hopefully I’ll get all my shopping done (cross my fingers).

Reply to M.C.

It’s so good!:) & one of my faves as well! I thought about adding pumpkin in the layers, but didn’t know how well it would turn out! I bet it would be sooooo good. Maybe add some flour in there to thicken it up? Pumpkin spice sounds like a good addition! I’m also so glad you’ve passed on the cutting prior technique!!!

Enjoy your Christmas party! sounds like a blast!!!

xo xo

Oh my god I LOVE baklava! Thank you thank you thank you!

• Sarah

I make baklava all the time! So easy and so good! I usually add vanilla bean paste to my nut layers and I make a vanilla bean cinnamon honey syrup! Also I usually cut the baklava before I bake to make it look some what put together when you serve the pieces!

Reply to Sarah

I bet vanilla bean paste would be a delicious addition! That sounds so good. I never thought about cutting the pieces before hand, seriously amazing idea!! Thank you!

• Claire

The first time I had baklava was two summers ago in Cyprus-it was amazing and I still fantasize about it sometimes:)
    Weekend plans: studying for finals, spending time with hospital kiddies, city running, Mass/brunchin, more studying:] Hope you are feeling better and have a great weekend!

Reply to Claire