Cheesy Biscuits & Gravy Casserole

The Ultimate Cheesy Biscuits & Gravy Casserole

Traditions are what make the holidays special. There is also nothing wrong with changing up the traditions and welcoming new ones into our lives. We usually wake up to the smell of mom’s cinnamon rolls, but this year, I’ll be making a melt-in-your mouth cheesy biscuits and gravy casserole. This recipe will have you begging for more. It’s a quick dish that you can make in minutes! These were demolished in fifteen minutes.

The Ultimate Cheesy Biscuits & Gravy Casserole The Ultimate Cheesy Biscuits & Gravy Casserole

INGREDIENTS

• 1 Can Homestyle Biscuits (8 biscuits) – or use homemade biscuit recipe
  • 8 Ounces Pork Sausage
  • 1/4 Cup Butter
  • 1/3 Cup Flour
  • 1 Cup Easy Cheesy Melt Spread
  • Sprinkle of Black Pepper

The Ultimate Cheesy Biscuits & Gravy Casserole

Stir in the flour and cheese.

The Ultimate Cheesy Biscuits & Gravy Casserole

Remove the biscuits from the oven and the gravy from the stove.

The Ultimate Cheesy Biscuits & Gravy Casserole

Top the biscuit halves with gravy.

The Ultimate Cheesy Biscuits & Gravy Casserole

Top the first layer with another layer of biscuit halves.

The Ultimate Cheesy Biscuits & Gravy Casserole

Add another layer of gravy

The Ultimate Cheesy Biscuits & Gravy Casserole

Crumble the remaining biscuits on top of the casserole

The Ultimate Cheesy Biscuits & Gravy Casserole

The great thing about this recipe is that you can make it in advance. The biscuits will not get soggy. Simply reheat them in the microwave or oven! You can easily double this recipe if you are serving more than six. ENJOY!

These would also be great to bring to a morning football tailgate.

Cheesy Biscuits and Gravy Casserole

PREP TIME: 10 minutes COOK TIME:15 minutes SERVES:6

INGREDIENTS

• 1 Can Homestyle Biscuits (8 biscuits)
  • 8 Ounces Pork Sausage
  • 1/4 Cup Butter
  • 1/3 Cup Flour
  • 1 Cup Easy Cheesy Melt Spread
  • Sprinkle of Black Pepper

DIRECTIONS

1.  Gather all your ingredients.
  2.  Pop open the can of biscuits and place them on a baking sheet. Bake them according to the package or until lightly brown. While the biscuits are baking, prepare the sausage gravy.
  3.  Add the butter and sausage to a skillet on medium-high heat. Break down the sausage with a spatula.
  4.  Once the sausage is cooked and the butter is melted, add the flour to thicken up the mixture.
  5.  Stir in the flour and cheese.
  6.  Turn the heat to low and continue to stir until cheese is melted and the gravy has thickened.
  7.  Remove the biscuits from the oven and the gravy from the stove.
  8.  Slice the biscuits in half and place six of the bottom halves in the bottom of a casserole dish.
  9.  Top the biscuit halves with gravy.
  10.  Top the first layer with another layer of biscuit halves and add gravy.
  11.  Crumble the remaining biscuits on top of the casserole
  12.  Top the crumbles with the remaining gravy. Sprinkle black pepper evenly over the casserole.
  13.  The great thing about this recipe is that you can make it in advance. The biscuits will not get soggy. Simply reheat them in the microwave or oven! You can easily double this recipe if you are serving more than six.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Three questions for you!

1. What do you have for breakfast on Christmas morning?
2. Do you remember the first time you tried biscuits and gravy?
3. What is your favorite comfort food?
Check out more of my Food Lion Recipes by clicking the logo above!

Comments

• marina

I just made these for my office and everyone loved them. Thank you for this simple recipe!

Reply to marina
  • Heather @ Polyglot Jot

Yum, thanks for sharing!

I usually have an egg bake and a muffin or pastry with coffee on Christmas morning

I tried biscuits and gravy a few years ago and was surprised that I liked it!

My favorite comfort food is pasta with chicken and veggies

Reply to Heather @ Polyglot Jot

As long as there is coffee on Christmas, I’m good 😉 I’m hoping Ralph makes his eggs for me this year! 😀

I was also surprised that I liked it! (DOESNT LOOK SO APPETIZING SOMETIMES)

Yum! 🙂 I really like baked ziti!

• Brooklyn

This is mine and my boyfriend’s first year way from our families, so we’ll have to start making our own Christmas traditions.
    I’ve never had gravy and biscuits because I hate gravy, but everyone I know seems to love it!
    Also, your festive table is so gorgeous !

Reply to Brooklyn

Awwwww new traditions are always nice too. I bet you guys have a wonderful Christmas together! You actually might like this one because it’s more “milky” and “buttery” and the cheese helps! You might have to try it!

& thank you!! xo xo

• Hannah

1. Every Christmas morning my mom makes homemade cinnamon rolls! It’s the only day of the year we get them and they are defiantly the best ones I’ve tasted. (;
    2. I know I have tried biscuits and gravy before, but I can’t remember when. Your recipe looks great though, I’ll have to give your recipe a try soon.
    3. My ultimate comfort food, more like dessert is defiantly ice cream. I didn’t eat it for so long and now I love to treat myself to it every once in awhile. My favorite comfort food is pasta! I feel like you can never go wrong with a big bowl of pasta and meat sauce.

Reply to Hannah

1. My mom makes the monkey bread (we call them cinnamon rolls) and I make the traditional cinnamon rolls!

2. Definitely try those!!

3. Ice cream is the best comfort dessert! I havnt had it in SO long!! like…since MAINE! & pasta is definitely a comfort food! Baked ziti for me!

• Jenn

1. I make cinnamon rolls, my mother in law has an egg allergy so it limits what I can make
    2. A couple years ago. I had wanted to try it so I found a recipe for a white chicken gravy and put it with biscuits. Can’t wait to try this one though.
    3. My mom’s rice with okra (and ground beef). I could eat gallons of it.

Reply to Jenn

Cinnamon rolls are good though and you can definitely make them egg free!

Chicken gravy sounds good with biscuits!

That sound so good! I love okra now! I tried it for the first time when I moved to North Carolina!

• Melissa

1. Sometimes we’ll make moms cinnamon rolls, or just break out the big tray of christmas cookies with coffee 🙂
    2. Im Canadian and can’t say I have ever tried it! It looks like a heavy dish… but delicious. Definitely a comfort food eh?
    3. Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup 🙂 or a bowl of warm Custard. Not really a meal but it was always such a treat so I get that warm fuzzy feeling when I eat it lol.

Reply to Melissa

Christmas cookies for breakfast and coffee were my favorite growing up! I’d eat so many of those little sugar cookies! If you like poutine, you’d like biscuits and gravy! especially the cheese version. DEF A COMFORT FOOD!

That is probably the ULTIMATE comfort food for me. I love tomato soup and cheese sandwiches!

• Shannon

Hey Taralynn! I love your blog and I have been following you for a while now! I have a quick question, what espresso machine do you have and do you like it? I know this isn’t related to this post, but I am looking for a good espresso machine! Thank you!

Reply to Shannon

Hi Shannon!

I have the De’Longhi EC 702 Espresso Machine and its OK…I’m in the market for a new one! I want the ones with the pods! Also, the espresso machine I used in D.C. put mine to shame…

It’s easy to use/clean/and affordable!

• Melanie

I have never tried biscuits and gravy but I have a feeling I would LOVE this recipe! 😀
    My family and I are having a big Christmas brunch this year. We usually cook up a big Christmas dinner with Italian food but we thought it would be fun to try something new. I am so excited to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas morning baking! I have a few recipes in mind and I was thinking your cinnamon rolls would be a great addition! I know my family would love them.
    My favorite comfort food is my mom’s cheesy potatoes… I used to eat so many as a kid!

Reply to Melanie

I was always afraid to try them because thy never looked appetizing. But, I fell in love with them at first bite. I’m not going to lie, the cheesy ones top the normal ones! We always have italian food (lasagna) on christmas with salad, garlic bread, and mom’s strawberry dessert. Last year, we had pork roast, stuffed macaroni, salad, dinner rolls, lasagna, ham, glazed carrots, twice baked potatoes, and all kinds of desserts! The post is here: http://simplytaralynn.com/2014/12/29/christmas-day-dinner/ Cinnamon rolls are so good on Christmas morning!

My mom also makes really good cheesy potatoes in the crock pot!

now I’m hungry!

• Tara

Yum!! Those biscuits and gravy look delicious! We always have a big breakfast on Christmas morning. My mom always makes this strawberry bread, and it has a strawberry cream cheese filling! Holy Yum! I get this once a year, and I think I could eat the whole loaf! I’ll have to try your recipe for breakfast this year.

Reply to Tara

Thank you Tara! Strawberry bread? YUM! I bet my dad would LOVE that. He’s a strawberry guy! I also love strawberry cream cheese on bagels.

• Crystal

Great recipe! Will be wonderful for a big ol’ Christmas brunch with the family.

Speaking of breakfast recipes.. do you use an espresso machine? I don’t know if you’ve had one in previous posts or if it was something I imagined..

Been wanting to get one and wondered if there were any recommendations by chance from a coffee lover like yourself! I know you are also very much into kitchen appliances too! Would love any tips! & I’m talking the big one’s that are pump driven like seen at Starbucks. Thank you!! Love reading your posts and tips on life 🙂 xo

Reply to Crystal

I do have an espresso machine! It’s the De’Longhi EC 702 Espresso Machine. I really want a pod one!

I’m thinking of getting a new one soon, so I’ll let you know what I find!!

xo

• Crystal

Hey thanks for writing back! How long did your De’Longhi EC 702 last you?? That one looks like what we’re looking for and it’s at a great price- one that can make latte art and customized drinks!

What makes you want the pod ones? The pods are the ones that are super-automatic and also dual purpose to make coffee, right? Thanks again!

Reply to Crystal
  • leslie

Yum! I just made this for breakfast for my staff and it was eaten up in fifteen minutes! Everyone was asking for the recipe. I doubled it too. I’m definitely going to make this for Christmas for the family now! Thank you Taralynn -from a Charlotte native!

Reply to leslie
  • Mindy

Girl- this looks so amazing! My family is southern and biscuits and gravy are probably my favorite food. I try to limit to a couple times a year and I can’t wait to try this. Is the cheese you use Velveeta or it’s own thing?

Reply to Mindy

It’s just like velveeta! i just used the food lion brand 🙂 It’s so good!! I usually just steal bites off of Nicks lol or I’ll overeat it!

• Mindy

Saw above about Velveeta!

Reply to Mindy
  • nikita khara

Hey! Question: what’s the reasoning behind using this cheese vs real cheese (like shredded, or pieces chopped off of a block)? Does it give it the gravy consistency you’re looking for? Wondering so I can do a substitution. This velveeta type stuff isn’t something I keep on hand/buy.

Looks super good though!

Reply to nikita khara
  • Jaime

1. It varies sometimes, but usually we have my mom’s French toast casserole and a cheesy sausage egg bake with mimosas 🙂 But cinnamon rolls sound delish!
    2. I think I’ve only had biscuits and gravy once, but in my area cream chipped beef is really popular, which is almost the same thing! It’s this dried beef chopped up and cooked into a creamy gravy sauce, but I love having it over a crisp slice of toast or an English muffin. The creaminess of the gravy plus the crunchiness of the toast is just the most delicious combination! I might have to try this recipe though..my mouth is watering.
    3. Ultimate favorite comfort food is my mom’s grilled cheese. It’s nothing fancy, but no one makes it better!

Reply to Jaime

Oh yum! Ahhhh love the mimosa idea!! I may do that this year:)

That actually sounds really good and i’ve never heard of it before! Where do you live? I need to try this!

YUM GRILLED CHEESE AND TOMATO SOUP!

• Jaime

I live near Philly…find out if you have dried beef in your local grocery store. If you do, I can send you the recipe my mom uses! I might be biased but it’s the best I’ve ever had 🙂

Reply to Jaime
  • Amanda

My favorite comfort food… this is going to sound bizarre, but it’s delicious, I swear. My family is Polish, and we make our own pierogies. My mom makes a pizza-like dough, rolls it thin, and stuffs it with hamburger bbq and a small piece of velveeta cheese, than wraps it up and fries it. OMG. Heaven. Also not clean eating, lol!

Reply to Amanda
  • shanna

yum! I love biscuits and gravy! I actually made some last sunday since I had shredded potatoes in the freezer from a thanksgiving breakfast casserole. I only like shredded potatoes in a casserole or with gravy.
    I like casseroles for holiday breakfasts. they are filling so you’re less likely to over eat throughout the day before the big meal.

I don’t remember the first time I had biscuits and gravy. I have been eating them my whole life. either homemade or anytime I go out to breakfast. which is like 5 times a year.

pasta is my favorite comfort food. prepared any way. but especially lasagna. and homemade chicken noodle soup.

Reply to shanna

I think for that cheese spread I’m just going to substitute boursin cheese 🙂

• Emily B

It depends on who’s house we are at…either my parents or my husband’s family but it usually is a big turkey or ham dinner with all the fixings – mashed potatoes and stuffing, etc. My mother in law usually makes Swedish meatballs. Dang. Now I’m hungry!

Reply to Emily B
  • Nicole

My family tends to eat liter breakfasts to make up for heavier lunches and dinners, so we often grab fruit or cereal on holidays. Or my mom will make hoemade cinnamon rolls. Although I can’t imagine eating Velveeta on a Christmas morning! For some reason I’ve never been able to stomach Velveeta once I learned it comes on a grocery store shelf and not refrigerated

Reply to Nicole
  • Emily B

My husband would LOVE this. He loves biscuits and gravy and he LOVES cheese so this would totally win over his heart and his stomach!!
    1. We’ve never really had an special Christmas breakfast. I suppose caramel rolls or something. We usually always have a big lunch so breakfast has been something simple.
    2. I’ve never been a big biscuits and gravy girl. But since my husband loves them I made them for him for his birthday this year – totally from scratch, biscuits and all and they were GOOD.
    3. My ultimate comfort food is my mom’s barbecues (also known as sloppy joes) and Mac n cheese. I put some barbecue meat on top of the macaroni and mix it together. Mmmmmmmm. Total perfection.

Reply to Emily B

This recipe would definitely be a win for him!

1. We always do the giant dinner! What do you guys usually make for lunch?

2. I should have made the biscuits from scratch, but it was so simple to just use the store-bought lol

3. Yum! That sounds so good. I like chicken noodle couple with dumplings!

• M. C.

1. My Mom always makes monkey bread for Christmas and it’s amazing! Usually we also have eggs and bacon, but if we’re being real it’s all about the monkey bread 😉
    2. First time I had biscuits and gravy was in seventh grade when I went back to Texas to visit family. I liked it, but felt like it needed something more, and I tried it again at a restaurant with red chile in the gravy and it was amazing! I guess I’m not built for true Southern food lol
    3. My favorite comfort food is the lobster bisque from Whole Foods with a slice of warm garlic bread! There’s nothing more comforting than loads of dairy and cheese!

Reply to M. C.

My mom used to make monkey bread too! I changed it up a couple years ago with a new cinnamon roll recipes. We actually never called it “monkey bread” we called them cinnamon rolls. I mean they were just rolls dipped in butter and cinnamon 😉

Red chili in the gravy? Very unique! I bet my boyfriend would love that.

YES TO THAT! I love lobster bisque and garlic bread is always good dipped in soups. mmmmmmm hungry now!

• Alena

Hello! I am loving these 3 questions at the end of your posts! We always had cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning as well. I try to keep the tradition going with my fiancé as well. I don’t remember the first time I had biscuits and gravy but always enjoyed them and I can’t wait to try your recipe! My comfort food is macaroni and cheese for sure, or pizza because who can go wrong with pizza? Xox

Reply to Alena

Thank you! I’m loving all the responses! So fun to get to know my readers.

Cinnamon rolls are our go-to! Last year, Nick’s dad made an incredible breakfast! I hope you enjoy my biscuits and gravy recipe!

You can never go wrong with pizza!

• Margaret @ Happy Healthy PDX

1. I love waffles with fixins on Christmas morning. The best waffles are from The Iowa Cookbook (not sure if you have a copy or not, but it’s full of GREAT recipes that remind me of trips to grandmas with my cousins). Buttermilk waffles that are sooooooooooo good with syrup or applesauce or by themselves. Now I’m hungry.

2. My friend made biscuits and sausage gravy for our house in college, but now I like it at different places around Portland with mushroom gravy. It’s crazy good.

3. I love chicken and dumplings. That’s what my husband requests when he wants some down home comfort. Also chicken strips, but I buy those pre-made usually. I always want those when I’m sick.

Reply to Margaret @ Happy Healthy PDX

I do! 🙂 I think a waffle bar would be fun on Christmas morning!

I don’t know if I could do the mushroom gravy lol.

I love anything with dumplings! mmmm

• Becky

I’ve never heard of Easy Cheesy Melt Spread. What brand did you use? Is it like Velveeta?

Reply to Becky
  • Victoria

1. What do you have for breakfast on Christmas morning?

My dad always makes a country style breakfast. We have biscuits, sausage, bacon, eggs, and grits. I might try adding my own dish to the tradition this year. Maybe these biscuits or something sweet!

2. Do you remember the first time you tried biscuits and gravy?

I honestly can’t remember. I feel like I’ve been eating it my whole life being from Mississippi.

3. What is your favorite comfort food?

Meatloaf! With mashed potatoes and gravy 🙂

Reply to Victoria

Yum. I want to come over to your house for Christmas breakfast!

I bet the biscuits and gravy in Mississippi (when I type “mississippi”…i do the song) are delicious!

YES! love mom’s meatloaf!

• Megan

Hi Taralynn!
    I know this isn’t related to your posts, but I have been following you for a few years and I love the photos you take. What kind of camera do you use? And also, I don’t know if you know about the Silk soy brand eggong, but it is a must try and really healthy also! Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Reply to Megan
  • Jessie @ The Acquired Sass

Holy YUM. That looks delicious & simple & like I would eat it all myself in one sitting.

1. We usually do cinnamon rolls, eggs, bacon, biscuits & gravy, coffee & OJ. Keep it simple.
    2. I’ve been eating biscuits & gravy since I was a kid. My mom grew up in the south. So it’s always been a staple.
    3. Hmm, I love a big ol’ bowl of chili in the wintertime. Or boxed Kraft mac & cheese.

Reply to Jessie @ The Acquired Sass

Lol it’s that good!

Yum. You guys go all out on Christmas…I’ll be waiting for my invite.

I bet your mom can cook up some delicious recipes!

You can’t go wrong with chili in the winter! Mac and cheese with chili is something you need to try! My dad used to make that for us as kids.

• Meghan

1. We usually have fruit salad and this delicious bread my mom makes, it has bits of orange, cranberry (and raisins, but I don’t eat those haha). Whenever we plan a big breakfast, it always gets forgotten

2. I’m Canadian, so it’s not a big thing here. I first tried them on a trip to Kentucky at Cracker Barrel- and realized what I had been missing!

3. My favourite comfort food is homemade macaroni and cheese (with added peas) or cornbread and chili. Yummy

Reply to Meghan

Yum! That sounds good. 🙂 I need to put together a fruit salad for this Christmas.

It’s sooooooo good! But…I also think poutine is like the Canadian version of biscuits and gravy!

YUM! I’m actually making a macaroni and cheese casserole tonight with spaghetti squash.

• Meghan

Yes! Poutine is probably the closest equivalent. And is super yummy too!

Mac and cheese with spaghetti squash sounds great!

Reply to Meghan
  • Ashley

This looks absolutely delicious. Definitely going to try.
    1. On Christmas morning we go to my moms and have breakfast. We have chocolate gravy, white gravy, bacon, sausage, biscuits, and eggs. It is delicious.
    2. I am from Eastern Kentucky so I have ate gravy and biscuits my entire life. I was probably eating them as a baby lol.
    3. My favorite comfort food is chicken and dumplings with cornbread.. deliciousness!!

P.S I am in Iowa right now with my husband on work. This is the first time I am visiting your home state. It is beautiful.

Reply to Ashley
    • Katie

I’m a Kentucky girl, too! Biscuits and gravy is its own food group 🙂

Reply to Katie

I’m so jealous you’re in Iowa. I’ll be going back in the spring : ) I havnt been to Iowa in over a year…yikes! What part of Iowa are you in?

1. Wow! That all sounds so yummy!
      2. Lol that is amazing. I actually tried them for the first time at Stacks last year. They just didn’t look good to me…but they are so good!
      3. WOW! that does sound comforting.