Friday The 13th: Week’s Recap

FOOD NETWORK MAGAZINE THANKSGIVING

Happy Friday the 13th!

Seriously. Where did the week go? As I get older, time “feels” like it’s getting faster. Sometimes I wish I could blink and be a kid again. But, since that’ll never happen…I will continue being an adult while drinking coffee, reading the Food Network magazine, and paying bills.

I’m going to do a recap post and then hopefully a delicious recipe post in the morning. I’m excited for tomorrow. My mom and I are going to do a fun photo shoot with all the new items for the shop and then grab breakfast. I feel like I haven’t hung out with my parents in a while, so I’m spending the weekend with them and maybe go out with some friends Saturday night (depending how tired I am).

12226896_941461069233803_80373288_n

Today is a great day. Why? HAPPY HOUR AT STARBUCKS from 2-5PM! BOGO on the holiday drinks. I’m rushing this post, so I can go out and get my favorite, a skinny peppermint latte with 1/2 the pumps.

SIMPLY TARALYNN COLLECTION

I finished up all the orders yesterday for the shop. Don’t forget to follow the shop on Instagram: @simplytaralynncollection for updates, sales, and discount codes!

JUICING

I finally brought out the juicer. It’s been hiding away in neglect because I’ve gotten so lazy and started buying all of my juices. Making them at home is such a money saver, (not a time saver), and I like knowing exactly what goes into them and having them as fresh as can be.

GREEN JUICE

Some of my favorite juicing fruits and vegetables: kale, lemon, lime, apple, orange, spinach, carrot, ginger, and cucumber.

Beets, cabbage cilantro, and broccoli are the worst in juices!

GREEN JUICE

This juice had 2 large cucumbers, 2 limes, 2 lemons, 1 orange, 1 apple, 1 1/2 inch ginger, 2 cups spinach, 2 cups kale, and 4 large carrots.

GREEN JUICE

I like to keep the peels on my fruits and vegetables but it’s totally optional. Some people say it makes the juice bitter, but I don’t taste it.

IMG_9387

While enjoying my juice, I made some homemade chocolate chip cookies for Nick’s little (big) brother. He’s 13 and 6’2…dear lord!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

IMG_9403

I also made some extras for my kitchen. The temptation is real.

IMG_9392

Quest Nutrition really hooked me up with these protein chips. They are delicious and taste “guilty.” I love the flavors as they remind me of the baked lays. I love the salt n vinegar, the cheese…I’m about to name them all.

I think the sea salt would be really good with a chocolate drizzle over them, so I’m trying that out next week.

These are low carb, low fat, high protein, low sodium, and low cal!
You can check them out on the website!

They’re perfect for cravings and post workout snacks.

IMG_9406

End of the week desk…

RIVERWALK

My friend Rachel and I headed over to the Riverwalk to fit in a walk later in the afternoon. It was beautiful out.

WORKOUT RIVERWALK

We did a light 5 1/2 mile walk.

Check out that baby copperhead…

EDS TAVERN CHICKEN SALAD CAESAR

After getting cleaned up, I met up with a group of friends at Ed’s Tavern for trivia night and food. It’s so hard turning down wings and nachos, but I’m keeping my eyes on the goal.

Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 11.16.55 AM

When I got home from Trivia night, I saw this…I shared it on my Facebook page, but Β just incase you don’t have Facebook, I wanted to share it with you here.

I struggle with wanting to “please” people and I just need to remember that I’m the only one I need to please. I compare myself to others way too much and it definitely holds me back. Struggling to stay true to myself is tough, but I’m going to work on it everyday.

Thank you Jen for the amazing reminder.

TARALYNN MCNITT BLOG

Have you ever just woke up in a struggle? You just don’t want to wake up, your eyes are heavy, and no matter what you do, you can’t do it right? That was me this morning! I didn’t want to wake up, I couldn’t keep my eyes open, and I didn’t wanna move. I’m usually the opposite. Nick always drinks those 5-hour energy shots, so I thought I’d give a try…ew! Tasted like cough syrup! I had one sip and chucked it into the trash. I downed the water instead.

IMG_9390

Grumples was in the same boat as me this morning. But, he looks super cozy doesn’t he?

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

For breakfast, I made my fruit and nut butter roll ups. I used apples and peanut butter instead of almond butter and blackberries this time.

RUNNING RUNKEEPER APP

I ran this morning and it was one of the worst runs yet. I don’t think I’m used to the cooler air and the wind storming into my lungs. As soon as I hit mile three, my lungs were burning, my head felt like it was going to explode, and my stomach was cramping up to the point where my back was hunching over. I had jumped into the shower and let the water run until I felt normal again. I also chugged water. I don’t know what happened, but it didn’t feel great at all. It wasn’t even a hard run and my body just wanted to shut down. I haven’t felt that bad since the first day I ever attempted cross fit. It’s been several hours since my run and my lungs are still on fire. I guess we have our good days and bad days.

12226903_941509425895634_135969757_n

Once I felt normal again and all those weird pains went away, I made a post workout treat. I had blueberry yogurt with blueberries, chia seeds, toasted muesulli oats, and raisins.

12226558_941509275895649_1129222028_n

It was delicious.

GRUMPLES SANTINO

I took the pups over to my parents house so they could run around in the backyard.

GRUMPLES SANTINO

We are working on Tino’s catching skills. He’s improving! Usually he just lets the ball or treat hit him in the face.

12248873_941509555895621_1513550956_n 12244214_941509542562289_77692725_n

They were only all over me because I had food.

PicMonkey Collage

Speaking of food…how good does this look? It’s gluten free apple crisp and I’m thinking about making this tonight! I’m in the mood for healthy comfort food. You can find this recipe on my Friend’s blog: Healthy Living Maintenance by Anna Phelan! She has amazing gluten free recipes!

VEGGIE FRIES

I’m also late on posting this! The other night I had grilled chicken drummies and veggie fries!

12226582_941527192560524_1885409287_n

Now, it’s time to dive into my popcorn, catchup on Nashville, and then head out and grab my Starbucks and groceries!

THREE QUESTIONS FOR YOU:

1. What is one healthy dish you’re going to make for Thanksgiving?
  2. What are your weekend plans?
  3. What is your favorite juice/smoothie recipe?

slide3

Comments

• wawa

Out where you live is BEAUTIFUL! I’d be out for a walk too!

Reply to wawa
  • Diana Mendoza

You are one amazing gal!

Reply to Diana Mendoza
  • Janie

I think I saw you on Campus yesterday…I didn’t want to be a creep! Was that you?

Reply to Janie
  • Jess

Is your brother coming home for the holidays?

Reply to Jess
  • el

I wish you lived in California! I have a clothing line and I want you to model for me! I think you’re a doll and a great roll models for girls.

Reply to el
  • Sara Rose

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT TIE DYE SHIRT?! IM IN LOVE!

Reply to Sara Rose
  • Tara

Your kitchen is cute! I work for a company that designs custom jars. I’d love to send you some!

Reply to Tara
  • Becka

You have the cutest running leggins!

Reply to Becka
  • Rose

I love the idea of making juices at home. I buy them all the time at work and I’m spending way too much. I spend somewhere around $45 a week on juices!

Reply to Rose
  • Denda

Love all your healthy eats and workout posts!

Reply to Denda
  • nessa

You are my favorite πŸ™‚

Reply to nessa
  • Amanda

One healthy dish I’m going to ATTEMPT for Thanksgiving is brussels sprouts! I hate them. I hate them, hate them, hate them… but I know how healthy they are and how many people love them, so I think I must just be making them wrong!

Reply to Amanda
  • Tessa

Hi Taralynn!

I just wanted to say I love reading all of your posts! I have been following you for a very long time and enjoy all of the recipes you have, reading about your life is very inspirational. I am struggling with weight loss and I was wondering if you have any tips for a person who is on a budget. I get bored of the same “healthy” food that I eat, but when I try to mix it up it is $$$. Do you have any advice?

I appreciate it!

Reply to Tessa

Hi Tessa!

Thank you πŸ™‚ If I were you, I’d make a menu and plan out your meals. Make sure all your meals can use up the ingredients from another dish. EX: Tuesday have lettuce wrap tacos, but use up the lettuce and toppings in a salad the next day. Just make all the meals cohesive. Also, what kind of foods are you eating that you’re getting bored with? I can come up with a list for you!

• Lizzie

Have you tried yoplair Greek 100 whips! They’re my all time fave for desserts now. I think they would be excellent on some type of recipe but I’m no cook ?

Reply to Lizzie
  • Ashley

1. I’m from Hawai’i too (hey!) now living in Northern Cali and plan on cooking some garlic shrimp for a Thanksgiving get together at a friend’s house.
    2. I’m having a girl’s night in since my husband will be working a terrible 12 hour shift. Do you have any recommendations on healthy appetizers?
    3. Not a juicer person.

Reply to Ashley

Heyheyhey πŸ™‚ Garlic shrimp….yum:) I’m making my garlic parm scallops tonight & garlic parm potatoes!

Lettuce wraps are always good healthy appetizers, fruit kabobs, grilled veggie/chicken/shrimp kabobs, guacamole, carrots, and hummus, and here are more :)http://simplytaralynn.com/category/recipes-2/appetizers/

• nina

My days are so much better with your updates. This may sound weird, but you are my token to a better day.

Reply to nina
  • Amanda

Hey Taralynn! If you didn’t already know, AdvoCare makes a much better version of the 5 Hour Energy shots, called SLAM! They are less bitter in taste, but still give you the kick-in-the-butt when you need it!

Reply to Amanda
  • Kim

I did a half marathon this weekend out in the cold. I got my PR, but holy cow my chest was hurting just like that. For a super long time after the run I just felt like it hurt so much to breathe. It was in Richmond, VA and it was crazy cold that morning. I hate running in the cold! So much that my last weeks of training were not that great. I was shocked that I ran so fast (for me) lol.

Also treadmill running sucks. Just sayin.

Reply to Kim

Wow! Nice job on the half though! Cold or not, you did it and that is freaking amazing! I’m just like you though, cold sucks and so does the treadmill! ughhh.

• Heather

I think this year I’m going to make honey roasted sweet potatoes instead of having tons of mashed potatoes and that casserole with the marshmallows.

I love green juices except I’m not a fan of cucumber so its hard for me to find some without the cucumber taste. I do have a juicer…just have been too lazy to make my own!

Looks like a great week…I need to remember the starbucks happy hour thing i alwasy forget!

Reply to Heather

That sounds REALLY REALLY GOOD!

I love the cucumber because it adds more “juice”, but you definitely need some lime and fruit to cover up the flavor.

Unfortunately they forgot my espresso and my syrup in my espresso drink AFTER i waited for twenty mins….ugh….

• Heather

Good point–maybe if I add more fruit when it comes out too cucumber-y! haha! thanks!

Reply to Heather
  • Alison

Would you be willing to do a post on how you organize your workout clothes/ closet?! I need some inspiration πŸ™‚

Reply to Alison
  • Kristin C

We are traveling to my inlaws’ house in the mountains, so I will not be making anything. I wish we could have it at our house so I could make some awesome dishes!
    This weekend, I spent the afternoon at my family’s new farm in Cowpens, SC. They just got a Great Pyrenees puppy so I was getting lots of puppy love πŸ™‚

Reply to Kristin C
  • Amy

Love your Kitchen Aid!

Reply to Amy
  • Melanie

LOVE the Jennifer Aniston quote!

I’m still tossing around ideas but I know I want to make a healthy side dish with sweet potato! My fav! Did you end up making the apple crisp? How did it turn out? Thinking of trying it…

My favorite smoothie is strawberry banana with almond milk!

My weekend has been pretty low-key. Lots of studying and watching football!
    p.s Hope your Hawks get a win tonight! πŸ™‚

Reply to Melanie

Nope I’m making the apple crisp tonight πŸ™‚ & strawberry banana & almond milk is one of my favorites with honey!

Our weekends were pretty much the same and WOO HOOO WE GOT OUR HAWKEYE WIN 10-0 BABY!!!

• Colleen

Have you heard of the blog “Oh She Glows?” I’m making a vegan apple crisp on Thanksgiving from her cookbook and can’t wait to try it out! I’m always the one to make a healthy dessert and once everyone figures out it’s clean they roll their eyes at me! It’s very funny. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving & weekend Tara! <3 xoxo

Reply to Colleen

It sounds familiar! I like the idea of having healthy desserts πŸ™‚ I’m going to try to keep it pretty healthy this year, but we’ll see….;) xo

• shanna

did I read you live in an apartment? your kitchen is gorgeous!
    I posted the same Jennifer aniston thing. it fits me perfectly.
    I don’t know what I’m making for thankgiving yet, but it will more than likely contain sweet potatoes.
    I’m working today, then a birthday party tonight and tomorrow it’s chores and food prep.
    my smoothies start with spinach, a banana and whatever I can find in the fridge to dump in it.

Reply to shanna

Thank you!!

Sweet potatoes are a Thanksgiving must πŸ™‚ I like to make a giant pan of roasted vegetables with the addition of sweet potatoes.

Hope you had fun at the party! xo

& as long as you have a banana, you’re smoothie is golden! xo

• Maria

What kind of blueberry yogurt did you use for your post workout treat?…. I’ve been trying to find a good one.

Reply to Maria
  • Maricel

What activity tracker do you use?

Reply to Maricel
  • Makki

Taralynn I love your posts! You made my days at work everytime better! πŸ™‚ And I want cookie right now πŸ˜€
    Have a great day!
    Makki

Reply to Makki
  • Hannah

Your running posts are so motivating! Keep it up!

Reply to Hannah
  • Sarah

My mom and I make pies the night before! I like to make one of them light:)

Reply to Sarah
  • Alana

Where is your green bean recipe?

Reply to Alana
  • Lynds

That apple crisp recipe looks so good! Thank you for sharing her blog because I’m GF!

Reply to Lynds
  • Tessa

This weekend I am going to my first college football game! I have made your cinnamon rolls for the past two thanksgivings!

Reply to Tessa
  • Lauren

What brand are the veggie fries? They look awesome! Would be nice for a side dish with a salad, a nice little cheat πŸ™‚

1. Not sure, I love love love green bean casserole and would love to try and make that healthy!
    2. Explore Bend, OR some. Supposed to snow this weekend!!
    3. I’ve never juiced before, but I can’t ever pass up a greek yogurt/ice/strawberry smoothie πŸ™‚

I too also follow your blog everyday, love the updates and the motivations!

Reply to Lauren

Here is the link! http://eatveggiefries.com & they are a game changer. They are 10x better than regular potato fries.

Pinterest is filled with an abundance of healthy green bean casseroles. I like to make my sweet green beans every thanksgiving.
      SNOW? EEEEK! Stay warm!
      & I love a greek yogurt smoothie!

Have an amazing weekend Lauren! & if you find a good green bean casserole recipe, make sure to share! xo

• Emily

Hi Taralynn! Your posts have inspired me to look in to getting a juicer. Do you think it’s worth the money? I love SUJAs and drink them frequently but would love to make my own!

Reply to Emily

If you drink Suja’s, then you’ll most likely be saving a ton of money! Those juices are 4.99-6.99 (depending size/store) and a juicer is around $100. If you use it everyday/five times a week…you’ll definitely be saving. I used to get a juice from Earth Fare for $5.00 everyday. That is $35.00 a week! All of the fruits and vegetables above cost me around $20! and I can get at least 15 12oz juices out of them. That’s like $1.30 a juice verses the $5.00 store-bought ones! And if you can find your fruits and veggies at a farmers market, you’ll probably save even more!

Weekend plans involve shopping for new design for my stagecraft project and also some yoga since I injured my left calf.

• Jacqueline Miller

I love your posts! I am not a hard core blog follower but I check your blog all the time. You have the best recipes and fun information. I am sorry you had a rough run. I am dealing with a possible stress fracture and cannot run without pain. It stinks. I think I am going to have to stick to the elliptical for a while. Anyway, I wanted to share the amazing butternut squash soup recipe. I am making some for Thanksgiving. It has squash, carrots, onion, apples, and is spiced with cumin, chili powder, salt, and garlic. I put a little pumpkin in it too. It is amazing. I hope you feel better tomorrow. Maybe Friday the 13th just wasn’t kind to you.

Reply to Jacqueline Miller

Thank you Jacqueline!

SO sorry to hear about your stress fracture. I know how difficult it is to experience pain while running and it’s incredibly frustrating because you can’t do anything about it. When I was dealing with my injuries, I stuck to swimming and strength training. Just keep fighting through it πŸ™‚

I’m so glad you shared that recipe, because I’ve been craving butternut squash soup! I love the idea of adding carrots and apples! That sounds so so so good! Do you have the exact measurements for everything? I’d LOVE to make it!

xo

• Jacqueline Miller

Hey Taralynn!
        I am fortunate because my dad is a doctor. Lol. He threatened to put me in a boot if I keep running ?. I am going to stick to low impact and strength training for a while I guess. I miss running!
        I got the recipe from a friend at work and made it like 4 times within a couple weeks. It has several steps because you roast the veggies first, then simmer, and then purΓ©e. It really is not that time consuming though. Roasting them adds to the flavor I think! I got the recipe from paleogrubs.com. It is at : http://paleogrubs.com/butternut-squash-soup-recipe
        I hope you like it. The cumin and chili powder give it just a bit of warmth. So good, enjoy!
        Jacqueline

Reply to Jacqueline Miller
  • Hannah

This weekend is my first 5 mile run in the rain and cold! Not the best weather, but it will still be good. Also,I recently have discovered Trader Joes green juice and I really want to try and make it on my own, I’ll see how it goes! This is my first time commenting on your blog, but I love reading it and just wanted to let you know. It’s a perfect example of moderation of healthy and treat foods.

Reply to Hannah

That is exciting (minus the rain and cold) BUT, it’ll make your next run so much easier! Let me know how it goes!

I love the TJ green juice. Have you had their cherry juice yet? it’s really good!

& thank you for the kind words about my blog! That means a lot πŸ™‚

• Hannah

The run went well, there was a huge elevation gain so the hills were tough, especially when I was still cold, but the last part went great! I’ll have to try the cherry juice next time I go to TJ’s, it looks great.

Reply to Hannah
  • candace

Do you have a recipe for sugar free or low sugar cranberry sauce?

Reply to candace
  • Chelsea

1. I’m Canadian, already had thanksgiving! I made devilled eggs using avocado instead of mayo… not exactly healthy, but not terrible!
    2. Homework homework homework… Life of a student
    3. My favourite smoothie recipe is: 1 (partially frozen) spotted banana, 1 tbsp of peanut butter, a good handful of spinach (can’t even taste it!), and a cup of almond milk. It tasted like chocolate ice-cream for some reason! Love it.

I bought a Vitamix blender last year and will never go back to juicing. It pulverizes the vegetables into juice (I add a bit of liquid of course). No chunks left over, and way more cost efficient than juicing because you’re not throwing away residue! It’s definitely my favourite healthy item that I own.

Reply to Chelsea

Avocado in your deviled eggs? That sounds so good!
      I feel ya on the homework. I spent my friday night trying to knock it all out so I could relax today and tomorrow!

I love spinach in smoothies because you really can’t taste it and it blends so well! I will have to try your smoothie combo! Sounds delicious πŸ™‚ My brother let me use his vitamix and it’s literally the best blender ever! It does make your smoothie taste like ice cream. If you blend frozen bananas with cocoa powder and walnuts, it’s legit like ice cream! I bought a Ninja and love it, but I think the Vitamix will be my next!

• Penny

Speaking of, are you still doing cross fit and karate?

Reply to Penny

I did cross fit a couple of times, but I literally don’t have the time to do it right now with school, so i’m sticking to running and strength training. And I made it to my yellow belt in karate lol, but I didn’t feel like driving thirty mins from my place three times a week, so I’m going to find another place closer.

• Brooklyn

You have such a gorgeous kitchen! My kitchen is literally the size of your island haha.

Reply to Brooklyn
  • Adorkable

Hi Taralynn,

I know we are supposed to be looking at the ladybug but all I could think was how amazing your arms look. Do you have any tips for getting skinny arms? Do you lift weights? Push ups? Thanks for responding.

Reply to Adorkable
    • Tessa

I thought this same exact thing when this photo popped up on my snapchat! Looking good girl!

Reply to Tessa

Lol, I actually hate my arms. I shouldn’t say “hate”, but they aren’t my favorite part of my body. I do little arms weights here and there but I don’t focus on them as much as I should. I’ve been cutting weight with running and strength training, and that has helped them. I’d love to start building muscle, and making them more “cut.”

When I’m walking the treadmill, I like to hold five pound weights. I do the lady version of push ups and hold the position. I also live by arm circles! Thank you Gwyneth Paltrow!

• amy

i’m getting a juicer for christmas! so excited. although i do have to disagree on one point- i love beets in my juices! haha

Reply to amy
  • Chandler

Hi Taralynn! I love you and your website! You’re such a positive inspiration, and I’m so proud of you, and your sunny attitude. One healthy Thanksgiving dish I’m making this year are green beans! Just plan green beans in spite of all the carby dishes, with some toasted almonds! Absolutely delish.

Reply to Chandler

Thank you Chandler!!

Green beans is my favorite Thanksgiving side! I have my my sweet green beans for the past four years and I enjoy those with Turkey! I think I need to add almonds instead of sesame seeds this year!

xo have a great weekend!

• Niki Patterson

My Nanny has the best outlook on people trying to please others so remember this next time, “If they don’t like it they can die mad”…lol. My Nanny is hard core!

Reply to Niki Patterson
  • Lauren

Going to try to make roasted brussel sprouts this year for Thanksgiving. I’m always looking for good veggie side recipes, since everything else is just starch and butter. Not that that’s a bad thing…:).

Reply to Lauren

I’ve never been a brussel sprout person (unless their drenched in butter and garlic) lol, but if you find a good recipe, let me know! I want to like them so bad!

• Allie

I hated them for ever but wanted to like them!! I found a recipe that includes bacon and thyme and roasts them in a pan and found that made all the difference as they don’t get that gross watery “juice” that squishes out when you bite them!! So now I’m a convert of my forever most hated vegetable πŸ™‚ my son though? He just picks out the bacon lol! But I get him!! I wouldn’t be done the same.

Reply to Allie
  • Alena

I am making a healthy macaroni and cheese dish with butternut squash as one of the ingredients! This weekend I have to work but I have off next weekend. I usually do a sweet smoothie with bananas, mangos or strawberries along with almond milk or water. If I had a juicer I’d totally make some juice!

Reply to Alena
  • carlee

Mashed Cauliflower will be on my Thanksgiving menu! Spending the weekend enjoy the last home game for Louisville (GO CARDS!!!) Pray for sun!

Reply to carlee
  • Desire

I’m going to do my first 5k this weekend! You inspired me to start training and I read your blog everyday for the motivation. Thank you!

Reply to Desire