It’s The Weekend: SweetGreens & Jack’s Place

PicMonkey Collage

I was up at four am this morning with Kona for our first walk of the day. I never thought I’d willingly wake up this early, but it’s starting to get much easier. I went back to bed for an hour this morning though. I found a great little Catholic church in Old town Alexandria today and walked to it. It was a really cold morning and I had to bundle up.

After church, I had some yogurt with walnuts and then headed down to the gym to get in a nice workout before the Lion’s game. I’m not sure if the treadmill was off, but I finished 3 miles in 24:16. That would be my fastest time so far. I followed up the run with stretches, arm weights, and a an ab workout.

After my workout, I bundled back up, grabbed hot tea, and took Kona for a walk.

IMG_8260

After my run, I hopped on the couch to watch the Lion’s play. Dear God, it’s hard bing a Lion’s fan. I whipped up a salad with some ingredients I bought at Whole Foods. It had bell peppers, broccoli salad, slices of cooked steak, cooked chicken, chickpeas, and kale. I was in the mood for a diet soda (I know it’s horrible for you) but I’ve been hooked on Zevia lately, a healthier version. I love cream soda so much, so I was happy to find this one.

IMG_8269

I made a delicious almond milk latte for the game. I am going so strong avoiding the football usuals (chicken wings, fries, pizza) and I feel great. Hopefully I can keep it up! Shaughna and Mike have the most amazing espresso machine/coffee machine ever.

IMG_8272

My quick little two ingredient latte: unsweetened vanilla almond milk and allegro coffee beans.

Today is going to be a lazy Sunday full of football, movies, puppy cuddles, and blogging!

12166928_931316733581570_1531146626_n

Friday was so much fun. Karlee had the day off, and Kona went to doggy daycare to play with all the pups. We decided to go to one of our favorite places, Georgetown.

12168089_931316626914914_1227584828_n

We stopped at Whole Foods before jumping on the metro.  Karlee wanted coffee and I wanted some tea.  We tried out the apple cinnamon Chia Bar on our way out and it tastes just like a brown sugar pop tart.

IMG_8213

Georgetown is a beautiful place in the fall (most of D.C. is).

PicMonkey Collage

First, we stopped at the Old Stone House. The house is older than the U.S. and withstood the Revolutionary War, the Burning of Washington during the war of 1812, and the civil war. It was built in 1770 and remains the oldest building in D.C.

IMG_8194

We were so ready for lunch and decided to stop at Sweetgreens because we loved it so much last time.

IMG_8201 12167152_931140520265858_811440228_n-2

I ordered the vegetarian Hummus Tahini salad. (Yeah, I had the same thing last time)

IMG_8197

It had shredded kale, chopped romaine, tomatoes, red onion, cucumbers, pita chips, local feta, homemade hummus, baked falafel, cucumber tahini yogurt.

11997275_931316656914911_1753302846_n 12165761_931316653581578_1642957245_n

We stopped into Dean and Deluca for coffee and ended up staying for an hour going through everything. It’s seriously the coolest place ever. We have one in Charlotte and I’ve never gone in there! Now, I will. We sampled a pumpkin malt ball…holy yum ball.

IMG_8206

They also have the BEST espresso drinks. I’m killing my “cut back on coffee” progress. Starting tomorrow, it’s back to 1-2 a day!

IMG_8208

We decided to take our coffee and walk the back streets. The townhouses are incredible! It’s like a painting here.

IMG_8212

I thought they bought fake leaves and threw them on the ground; this place just didn’t look real.

IMG_8214

We walked for about an hour around all the homes. If I would have put on my walking shoes and comfy clothes, I would have gone for longer. My eyes were taking in all the beauty.

IMG_8218

We headed back towards the metro to make it back for Karlee’s hair appointment.

IMG_8224

We crossed the river towards the metro and looking back at Georgetown on the hill was beautiful.

IMG_8225

We didn’t get to kayak last summer, but we will definitely do that in June!

12167830_931316423581601_93201585_n-2 12166554_931316613581582_1852243900_n

Karlee and I had WAY TOO MUCH fun at the Halloween store. We felt like kids again. If you follow me on snapchat, I’m sure you saw…I’m so pumped for halloween this year! My friend Rachel and I have an awesome costume duo up our sleeves.

There was a little pug dog at the salon too.

12167869_931336123579631_688122926_n 12167186_931316393581604_958420806_n

Kona was exhausted when I picked him up for doggy day care. He played all day long and it was fun watching him on the live-stream cam. After I gave him a bath, we Skyped his mommy, and then headed out for a little walk. I was exhausted too! I grabbed my leftovers from the fridge for dinner and then passed out at 8pm.

12166353_931316776914899_665481253_n 12167369_931316413581602_1247524154_n

Kona and I were up early on Saturday morning. We hit the streets and then cuddled up and watched a really good movie! If you haven’t seen Camp X-Ray…get on it!

12166380_931316676914909_932767521_n

Ollie & Kona had Saturday morning sleepy head syndrome. It amazes me how well they get along.

IMG_8226

I met up with T.C. and Karlee for a little bit to go grab a late breakfast and stop at the farmers market.

IMG_8230

We just wandered the streets until we found a place to eat.

IMG_8248

We found Jack’s Place. This is definitely the hole in the wall that people search for their entire lives. It’s a place you’ll find regulars, a friendly staff, and a very inexpensive menu.

IMG_8242

Coffee first. (I ended up drinking water instead)

IMG_8246

I ordered the “no yoke” omelet with bell peppers, onions, and tomato. It also came with an English muffin.

IMG_8252

We walked back so we could make it in time for the Iowa game.

IMG_8255 coverIMG_4449_grande_grande_cadf2ca1-a235-45a2-8a0b-e892256e4695

Boots, jeans, sweater, and vests weather! The vest is from my collection🙂

IMG_8256

Before the football game, I made a delicious espresso and had a biscotti on the side! Can you believe the Iowa Hawkeyes are 7-0!? I fell asleep before ten. Tomorrow, I’m waking up to go for a run, and then Karlee and I are going to do something fun! Let me know if you have any suggestions.

7f226c5172067692967a74ef07f75b39

Quote for the night!

Comments

• arielle

I will never understand how you can drink an espresso at night but still fall asleep before ten!!! Sometimes just one cup of coffee makes me nauseas and light headed but i just love it so much

Reply to arielle
  • Chloe – A Latte Lipstick

Wow! Gorgeous trees changing colors outside! Also your eats look soooo delicious, much better then chicken wings any day 🙂

XO Chloe
    A Latte Lipstick

Reply to Chloe - A Latte Lipstick
  • Joi / Joiful.me

Awwww these pictures make me miss fall so much! We are moving into spring here in New Zealand (and I am excited for summer), but these leaves just look so gorgeous! You are a very talented photographer, Tara!

Reply to Joi / Joiful.me
  • Emily

Where is your army green vest from? I love it!

Reply to Emily
  • Alyssa

It looks like you are having an amazing time, and i love all the pictures and updates on where to go if i ever visit there! I was also wondering if you ever wear a fitness tracker, a certain app, or watch to see how long you run, bike or just activities through the day?! I have a fitbit but i was wanting something more active and accurate!

p.s. coffee is good for the soul! 🙂

Reply to Alyssa
  • Victoria

Where is your green army jacket from? It is so cute! Something you should try and add to your fall collection 😉

Reply to Victoria
  • Caitlin

I love your blog so much! You seriously have the best style! I was wondering if you could share a little about your weight loss efforts/what you did recently to make that happen? I too gained a little weight over the past winter and I’m having trouble losing it!!

Reply to Caitlin

Hi Caitlin!

Thank you so much! My body has always fought with me after recovering from an eating disorder. But I don’t like “plans” or “diets” because they set limits and when you set limits…you fail. Ive been trying to stick to a healthier lifestyle and make healthy choices whenever possible! Will I have bad foods? YES! but…in moderation. I have cut back on a lot of my winter favorites like wings, pizza, and other junk. I’ve been sticking to more fresh foods full of greens! I’ve also been working out a lot more and now that my leg is healed, I’ve been running and doing little weights. I havent been doing anything crazy, but small changes overtime.

• Kaolee

I love that quote!

I didn’t do any kayaking this summer, and looking forward to doing all the fun summer sports this upcoming summer.

Reply to Kaolee
  • Hillary

I think that dog is a French Bulldog? pugs have a curly tail and black face.

Reply to Hillary
  • Jessica

I love how much you love animals. Have you thought of adding a doggy clothes/accessories section on your boutique?

Reply to Jessica
  • Sierra

Hey Tara,

What do you have the elliptical settings at to burn 320+ calories within 30 mins? 🙂 I’d love to know

Reply to Sierra
  • Melinda

I love your blog! I read it every few days, I have also went through the good, bad, and ugly of dieting, and working out. I was really unhealthy about it and my body paid for it ie…..my hair broke off, skinny frail. I now know how unhealthy that was and eat well and work-out healthy. Thank you for your posts on fitness and eating healthy:)
    I also love that you respond to all comments posted! I think that shows really good manners, huge in my book!

Reply to Melinda

Thank you Melinda! I know how you feel and what it’s like to go through the obsessive weight loss, loss of hair, and the skinny look. It was hell and I’d never wish it on anyone! It took a VERY long time for my body to get back to normal and that is why I try so hard to eat as healthy as possible with workouts. Glad you are on a healthier route! xo

• Nikki

Ooh the almond milk latte sounds delicious! I’ve had them in coffee shops but every time I try it at home and put almond milk in my coffee it ends up tasting terrible and has a weird smell/aftertaste. I’ve tried a couple of different brands but they all seem to do it. Have you noticed this? Does the 365 Organic work? Do you know any other good ones to try?

Reply to Nikki

Yeah, I don’t like almond milk in my coffee, but they have an espresso maker that steams the milk and then the espresso overpowers the almond flavor taste. I know exactly what “taste” you’re talking about. Try using cashew milk!

• Laura Stanton

You should check out Malmaison in Georgetown. I live behind the University and I take my dog on walks down along the Georgetown Canal to go to Malmaison for coffee and freshly made juices in the morning. Its a beautiful stroll along the water, and their juice is delicious! The location is on the Whitehurst Freeway – if you blink, you miss it! The entrance faces the water. The best way to get there is to walk down 33rd street all the way to the water and make a right. Then you can stop and grab a juice and keep on walking (or go for a run) down the trail. Enjoy the city!

Reply to Laura Stanton
  • Holly

Love the leaves! It looks like it does here in Montana right now. Beautiful fall seasons! 🙂

Reply to Holly
  • Amanda

Oh my goodness, that salad looks delicious!!!

Reply to Amanda
  • Silvia

Seems you’re having a great time in there! I was wondering if you have a gym membership? Or you prefer running/working out outside and buy day passes?

Reply to Silvia
  • Linda

Those are just beautiful shots.

Reply to Linda
  • Melissa

This makes me miss DC so much!! I grew up there and the fall time is my absolute favorite season.
    Have a great rest of your trip!

Xo,
    Melissa

Reply to Melissa
  • stephanie

No kidding its hard being a Lions fan!!! The last few weeks, I have had to just turn the tv off, my heart just can’t take it! At least we squeaked one out yesterday!! DC looks gorgeous 🙂

Reply to stephanie
  • Megan

I’m not the only person who calls them arm weights!!! Haha my boyfriend makes fun of me all the time for calling them that.

Reply to Megan
  • Hope

If you have a chance to check out Fredericksburg, VA while you’re in the area you should! It’s a beautiful place and so full of history. Also, if I remember correctly, the food was fantastic!

Reply to Hope
  • Laura

Are you sure you didn’t mix up a pic of an elliptical screen? Because that’s what that one is

Reply to Laura
  • Eleonor

Hi! Regarding workouts, have you heard of Kayla Itsines guides? I just started one and was curious about if you’ve ever tried or heard of them. xx

Reply to Eleonor
  • Rachel

Wow, how did you manage to eat that huge salad?! That would have lasted me days! Haha.

Reply to Rachel
  • Steph

It looks beautiful there! Sounds like you are having a great time. Thank you for sharing that quote too-definitely something I need to remember every day!

Reply to Steph
  • Emily

I love your boots! Where are they from?

Reply to Emily
  • Nathaly

Loved the post! One of my favorite places to visit is D.C. but I don’t think I’ve ever been to Georgetown.
    Why are you cutting back on coffee? 🙁

Reply to Nathaly
  • Tara

Wow!! Your pictures are so gorgeous! We don’t have leaves like that in Oklahoma. It’s still so hot they just turn brown before they fall!

Reply to Tara
  • Linda @ The fitty

Wow, must be been still dark outside when you woke up and took a walk!

Reply to Linda @ The fitty
  • shaughna

I am so glad your enjoying your time in DC. We are grateful for you.

Reply to shaughna