Great Falls Park, Steak Salad, & Old Town.

IMG_8027 It’s a beautiful morning here in D.C. today. Kona and I woke up at 5 am and went for a stroll around the neighborhood before the hustle and bustle of people driving to work. I had to wear my jeans, a warm jacket and boots to stay warm. The sun is out now and it’s going to be a gorgeous day. I just finished a paper for class, so I have some extra time to enjoy a cup of coffee and blog about yesterday before I head out on a bike ride.

kkkkkPicMonkey CollageI want to share some photos from yesterday’s adventure at the 800 acre Great Falls Park in Virginia, right outside of Washington D.C. We have already decided to come back again next week when the leaves change even more. But the drive was absolutely breathtaking. The sun peeped out behind the treelined streets while leaves fell like snow.

IMG_8023There were different view spots and we went to almost all of them. You can do so much at the park. They have bicycling, bird watching, boating, climbing, hiking, fishing, horseback riding, and picnicing.

IMG_8003

Of course we brought some snacks. Chocolate coconut chew Larabar is now my favorite flavor! (next to pumpkin)IMG_8010

Emerald River juice from Whole Foods: celery, kale, cucumber, apple, lemon, broccoli, and ginger.

IMG_8016

The vultures were on point yesterday. They were diving in and out of the rocks.

IMG_8019

I loved that the sun lit up some of the trees in the back.

IMG_8021

I’m not sure if I’m brave enough to kayak or river raft on something like that…

kkkkPicMonkey Collage

Kona loved it. He was so curious as to what the river was.

IMG_7881 kkkPicMonkey Collage
A guy from England with a phenomenal accent asked us to take his photo and in return, he took ours. As soon as I gave him my camera, he hopped up on a rock and laid down to get a fun angle. It was really cool of him!

kPicMonkey Collage

He also loves photos.

IMG_7891 kkPicMonkey CollageIMG_7910 IMG_7911

We are hoping to go horseback riding there soon.

IMG_8050

After we got back, we headed to Alexandria to have an early dinner/late lunch.

IMG_8053

I enjoyed walking through the neighborhoods. All of the leaves were falling, the trees were changing, and people decorated their doorsteps with fall decor. Can you tell my favorite season is fall?

IMG_8056

The crisp fall air yesterday…

IMG_8057 IMG_8060

Karlee and I are going to carve pumpkins this week! This town home had an adorable set up.

IMG_8042

We went to Hunting Creek Steak House to eat. We wanted to sit outside on their adorable little patio.

IMG_8044I ordered their cobb salad and it came with smoked bacon, avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, rosemary steak with a side of gorgonzola dressing. I think this was one of the best salads I’ve had in a long time. The steak flavored so well. I always order my steak medium and they cooked it perfectly. The produce as fresh and the dressing was to die for.

The only disappointment is that our waiter didn’t really talk to us. It was what do you want to drink?, what do you want to eat?, here is your check. I think we got an eye roll at one point, but at least it was some kind of emotion. Luckily, the food was awesome. But, we all have bad days so hopefully his gets better.

IMG_8063 IMG_8065 IMG_8066 IMG_8070 IMG_8076    IMG_8030 IMG_8033We shopped around King Street for a bit and then headed back to dive into Scream Queens! Emma Roberts is a genius in that role.

241435229993926130_VNb7HWPU_c (1)

This popped up on my Pinterest and I had to share! I love everything about it.

Sorry for the short write up! My time is limited and a little something is better than nothing! xo

Comments

• jil

you’re amazing

Reply to jil
  • Marki

KONA IS SO CUTE!!!!!!

Reply to Marki
  • Kim

You shoud try the Maryland side! I have hiked twice on the Maryland side now. I am going out to attempt running it today (some parts are very rocky/technical and so it is more of a scramble and not so runable). Anyway it is gorgeous 🙂

Reply to Kim
  • Heather

Great pictures!

Reply to Heather
  • Anam

Great falls is such a pretty place . I live in D.C myself and it’s absolutely an amazing place to live in. Do visit Dumbarton Oaks it’s near Georgetown it’s a really beautiful place as well as Hillwood Estate and Museum.

Reply to Anam
  • Ashley

You look gorgeous and happy! Beautiful scenery, your photos really captured the beauty of the season.

Reply to Ashley
  • Alison

Wow it is beautiful there! I always hope to make the trip in the fall, but haven’t yet. Maybe someday.

A DIY Blog

Reply to Alison
  • Kelsey

I think I saw you running on King Street tonight!

Reply to Kelsey
  • Cristin

Autumn looks good on Alexandria! Your pics are great. I’m from Northern Va so I appreciate this post! Going to Busboys and Poets in DC? Highly recommended.

Reply to Cristin
  • Victoria

Omg you look awesome girl! Great pics too!

Reply to Victoria
  • girl scout

Tara!

You look so healthy and fit right now. You’re such an inspiration! I also had an eating disorder and began to eat healthier and take care of my body. It’s so amazing to see you go through all the changes. You look awesome, healthy, and happy. Keep it up, girly

-secret admirer

Reply to girl scout

Thank you! I know it’s tough, but keep up the healthy lifestyle. Our minds can be pretty powerful! Glad you’re doing better and striving!

• Melanie

Kona is so adorable looking at the river 🙂 Beautiful pictures Taralynn!

Reply to Melanie
  • BreAnne

Where did you get your green long sleeve shirt? So cute!

Reply to BreAnne
  • Linda @ The fitty

Wow, looks like a great place to live. I love all the colours of the leaves turning yellow and red. Here our leaves are still a lush full green.

Reply to Linda @ The fitty
  • Méryl

I visited Washington DC last fall and I fell in love with the city. I wish I could go back to be able to see “your pictures” with my own eyes because it looks gorgeous.

Are Nick and Tino going to visit you during the time you spend in DC ?

Reply to Méryl
  • Jenn

I’m a Northern and I’m totally used to our waiters not talking much to people. Some are more friendly than others but for the most part it’s “Hey, how are you? What would you like to drink? Is everything ok” kind of deal.

Reply to Jenn

Ok good to know ;). I thought he just didn’t like me hahaha. I guess that’s what happens when you’re living in the South for a while…people are just over the top friendly lol

• steve

A photo of air? Your incompetence is exhausting….

Reply to steve
  • Melissa

So beautiful! I am loving all of the photos and being able to see you in another beautiful location!
    I hope you have a great rest of your day! I know you’re busy but make sure you take some you time too 🙂
    XO

Reply to Melissa
  • Mary

Sorry but I’m just curious. Why did you decide to leave for one month? Is there something specific you want to do during that time? I feel so serene looking at your photos, I can almost feel the crispy autumn air!

Reply to Mary

I’m only gone for two weeks. Shaughna and Mike needed someone to watch Kona while they’re in Hawaii and I decided to do it. It’s a great opportunity for a change of scenery, a new place to study, to explore and I get to spend time with my brother and Karlee.

• Kristin

The trees and colors look so beautiful! What an awesome adventure.

Reply to Kristin
  • Kate

I know you mentioned in another blog post a few weeks back that you were on a mission to lose a little fluff that was gained over the winter last year, and your progress really shows! Not that that is what is most important (health is!!) But as an avid reader and fellow person in recovery, I wanted to let you know that I truly see a difference not just in your appearance, but in your overall well-being and choices! I know pictures don’t always tell the whole story, but you seem much happier and content. You are inspiring to someone like me, who is also continuously working on finding that balance with food and life 🙂

Reply to Kate

Thank you Kate! That means a lot and I hope you continue to recover and become the healthiest version of you possible! Lately, I’ve been so happy and I want to continue to be!

• Tara

Your pictures are beautiful! Looks like you’re having fun!

Reply to Tara
  • Allison

Gorgeous fall photos! I also LOVE Scream Queens! Emma Roberts has the mean girl down perfectly! And Niecy Nash cracks me up!

Reply to Allison
  • Katie

I’m sooooo glad you made it to Great Falls park! Not only are the trails and scenery amazing, it’s a great photo-op in any season, but fall is hands down the best. Your Old Town pics are stunning too! As a DC native/resident it can be easy to take the beauty of it for granted this time of year when you’re around it day in and day out, but your pictures are a fabulous reminder of just how beautiful it is! Thanks for sharing and enjoy your time here 🙂

Reply to Katie
  • Rants and Raves by Jenny

Great pictures! I have only been to Alexandria once, but I would LOVE to go back during this time of year to see all the beautiful leaves! So jealous, Texas is still in the 90’s!

Reply to Rants and Raves by Jenny
  • Kayla

Great Falls is actually a national park – you might want to mention that! Also, it’s in both sides of the Potomac River (that’s Maryland you see when you look across) and both sides haves parks/visitors centers. Would be great if you shared links/more info about the sites you visit as you tour the DC area!

Reply to Kayla
  • Alexa

The fall pics are amazing!

Reply to Alexa
  • Angela

Wow, you are so lucky to be visiting such a beautiful area! Also, you look so pretty in these pictures… your hair is getting so long!

Reply to Angela
  • Ashley

I have an itch to go to DC now! Beautiful!

Reply to Ashley
  • aleah

Amazing pictures! Jealous of your trip, have fun!

Reply to aleah