Summer Trip: New York City!

road trip

Hey There!

I’m not sure if I remember how to blog because it’s been so long. I got back from my trip yesterday and I’m finally getting off the vacation high. Some of you were wondering why I wasn’t blogging while I was on my trip. To be honest, I didn’t want to make my trip all about me finding wifi, me worrying about posting, or feeling like I had to be on the computer. I just wanted a normal trip that allowed me to live in the moment instead of posting on Instagram, checking comments, or doing the usual blog at night. I have never gone this long without posting and though I missed the connection with you guys, it was still a nice break. It’s healthy to space yourself from social media every now and then. I knew that I could blog when I got back and my photos would never go away, but the time spent with the people that matter the most would.

11780607_894239223955988_364645792_n

We I took off for our trip on Thursday night. We had a lot of stops planned and I was so excited. I packed us a cooler with some snacks (I’ll post those later) and we headed off into the night. We wanted to beat all the traffic, so we drove through the night to avoid it.

Road Trip  Hotel Breakfast

We got a hotel outside of NYC around 3 am. We skipped D.C. and decided to just hit NYC, so we could spend some time in the city exploring before the Yankee’s game. I did a quick 25 minute run (more of a sleepy jog) on the treadmill for some energy and had breakfast.  I’d never drive in the City, but he’s used to it since he’s from New York, and has done it for years.

road trip

We took off around ten am for the City! Luckily we didn’t hit too much traffic.

new york city road trip

It’s been a while since I’ve been to New York and I’ll never stop being amazed at the city. I will always be that tourist with their head looking up at the buildings, and forgetting to hold on before the subway takes off.

mr biggs

When we finally found parking, we headed up towards Time’s Square. We stopped at Mr. Biggs in Manhattan for a Margarita. I heard their food is really good, but we didn’t eat there because we had other plans for lunch.

mr biggs nyc manhattan

new york city i love new york

After our drink, we hopped on the Subway to Katz Delicatessen. Silly me (THE TOURIST) thought Katz’s was in Brooklyn because we took the subway towards Brooklyn. I just figured that’s where it was. Apparently it’s in the Lower East Side.

new york city

I love how colorful New York City is.

katz's new york city

katz new york city

It’s a pretty famous spot in New York. They have a wall of celebrities that have been there and it’s been on the Food Network.

katz niece lower east side

It was established in 1888! That is crazy. They even filmed “When Harry Met Sally” there.

katz deli new york city

This place was crowded. Despite how crowded it was, they were extremely quick.

katz new york city

And the portion sizes…giant!

Katz new york city

This place is definitely for the meat lovers. I ordered the turkey sandwich and it was pretty good. I could only eat about a 1/4 of the sandwich because it was so giant. The picture doesn’t do it justice. This thing was about 5 inches tall.

new york city

new york city trip

After lunch, we hopped back on the Subway towards Time’s Square to grab the car before the Yankees game.

times square nyc new york city

I had to take a standard tourist shot of NYC.

time square new york city

new york city

Before we left for the Yankees game, we picked up some coffee for the drive. I grabbed a latte at Junior’s, even though they’re known for their cheesecake.

new york city

We plugged in the address and took off to the Bronx for the Yankees game.

bronx new york city

new york city

We got in a little game traffic.

new york city

new york city

I was really excited about A-Rod coming up towards us. He’s one of my favorites 🙂 He was really cool with his fans too.

new york city

new york city

Look at that happy fan who got his baseball signed! Way to go A-ROD! yankees nyc bronx

I was obsessed with the girl’s hat in front of me.

new york city bronx stadium yankees

This is what summer is all about!

new york city bronx stadium yankees

We decided to split some wings and cheese fries for dinner. Not the healthiest choice, but life is too short to eat salad at the Yankee’s game.

After we left the game, we headed a couple hours outside of New York City and got a hotel!

hotel breakfast

We woke up early and had a hotel breakfast, then took off for Maine!

Comments

• Helena

YAY!! Yaaay! yes! You are baaack!! And better than ever!! I was going a little nuts without reading your posts. (Or maybe it is waiting for a job interview that is driving coo-coo… have any advice on not losing your mind while waiting for your fav blogger to blog or how to not lose your mind waiting to find out if you get a job?) So so so SOoooo HAPPPY to read your post!! I can’t wait to read about Maine and see pics!! Because Maine is one of my fav. places on this planet. Thank -you so much for sharing your life with, well, me a total stranger!

Reply to Helena

This made me laugh, but definitely made me feel loved 🙂 I’m glad to see I have some faithful readers:) I just posted my first night in maine! I hope you like that post 🙂 Maine is officially my favorite place on earth!

• Amanda

I love NYC! Such a fun, exciting place. I love going at Christmas when everything is decorated. The baseball game pics were great too. I have lived outside of the U.S. for a long time now and I really miss baseball! It doesn’t seem like summer without a game. 🙂

Reply to Amanda

We have been talking about doing a christmas trip there! I really really wanna shop there when all the nights are up 🙂 Where are you living now?

• Amanda

Oh you should! You’d love it! So festive and feels like you are in a movie! haha! I’ve been living and working in Bosnia for awhile now. I love it here but definitely miss some things from the U.S. like baseball! 🙂

Reply to Amanda
  • Melanie

We missed you! But I’m glad you got a nice break from blogging for a while 🙂 your pictures are beautiful! NYC is one of my dream vacations. It must have been nice to get a break from the southern heat!! 😉
    Can’t wait to see the hear about the rest of your trip!

Reply to Melanie
  • Tiffany

It’s so cool when you get to see where your significant other grew up. It was so cool when my husband took me to where he great up. You can learn so much abou someone.

Reply to Tiffany
  • Stacy

You were in my city! I’m so glad you had fun 🙂 I wish I had the discipline you have to go running in the morning on vacation! Any advice on how to keep yourself motivated?

Reply to Stacy
  • Lindsay @ A Runnaroundd Life

So great you hit Katz’s. My buddy is actually the owner! And you’re right–gotta get the good stuff at a baseball game! :)))

Reply to Lindsay @ A Runnaroundd Life
  • Jess

I missed your posts and photos so much but am so glad that you got to have time off to relax and enjoy yourself! Really looking forward to see what you got up too, especially Maine as New England is somewhere that I have always wanted to explore.

Reply to Jess

Thank you Jess! It’s definitely healthy to do that:) It actually changed me for the better when it comes to “enjoying the moment”. I’m so in love with Maine. I have always wanted to go and it’s even better than the pictures! I’m already planning my trip back!

• Sally

oh my goodness. You guys are adorable! #relationshipgoals

Reply to Sally
  • Kelsey

Yayyy! She’s back:):) I missed your posts! I’m excited to hear about the eats, adventures, and staying active on your vacay! Hey also, you should do a ‘day in the life’ post.. It’s been awhile 🙂

Reply to Kelsey
  • Alexa

Such a fun trip! It’s nice to have someone familiar with the area when you’re on vacation. What neighborhood in NYC is Nick from?

Reply to Alexa

Thanks! Nick isn’t from NYC, he’s from about a couple hours north of it. He used to go there all the time for games and just to visit the city. He loves it!

• Jorden W.

Hi Taralynn – I’m so glad you had a great time! As much as I missed your posts, I think it’s a great idea to take a break and enjoy your vacation! You deserve it! You’re right, we all need to “unplug” more and take a break from social media. It looks like you had a fantastic time, can’t wait to read your posts now that you’re home!

Reply to Jorden W.
  • Jessica

I love that you decided to unplug during your trip and truly enjoy every moment – you only live once, right? I can’t wait to hear more about your trip! 🙂

Reply to Jessica
  • Imogen

Missed your posts! Glad to see you had a great trip and a break from blogging and social media, sometimes it’s refreshing to put the phone away and enjoy where you are and what you’re doing! xo

Reply to Imogen

Thank you!

Not going to lie, I missed posting, but taking a break really made me realize how much time I spend on the computer during trips! It was nice to just relax and enjoy the little moments instead of worrying about my blog!