Hiking Day, Fruit & Yogurt, Homemade Latte!

fruit and yogurt

Good Morning!

It’s my last day here before my trip, and I’m in a bit of a pickle. I was sick yesterday, (the cranberry juice kind of sick) and I’m feeling much better today, but I’m not sure if I still go to the doctor to get antibioticsย before I leave. What if it comes back? What if it doesn’t? What would you do?

I spent most of the day yesterday sitting at the kitchen table packaging orders from the shop! I started at 10am and finished late last night. Before I went to bed, I had fruit, Greek yogurt, walnuts, and a slice of peanut butter toast for dinner.

Today, I’m excited to pack up everything for the trip, and go through new items for the Simply Taralynn Collection that arrived yesterday. I’m having so much fun with this!

hiking crowders mountain nc simply taralynn

Monday morning, I went hiking with my mom. It was beautiful out and I wanted to take advantage of it before it got too hot.

hiking crowders mountain nc

I’m sure there are more hiking spots in the area, but Crowder’s mountain is my go-to.

hiking crowders mountain ncย hiking crowders mountain nc

During our hike, we stopped and did some leg ups, mountain climbers, push ups, and jump squats.ย ย hiking crowders mountain nc

We’re almost to the top!

hiking crowders mountain nc

The view is always worth the hike up the mountain.

hiking crowders mountain nc

Unsalted and roasted sunflower seeds for the top!

hiking crowders mountain nc

We sat up on the top for about thirty minutes enjoying the fresh air and views. It’ 2.3 up and 2.3 down.

hiking crowders mountain nc

On my way home, I had to stop and take this picture. It reminded me so much of Iowa. I’m sure missing that place right now!

homemade latte

When I got home, I whipped up a light latte with my espresso machine! It had cashew milk, 3 espresso shots, stevia, and Dallmayr Monaco espresso.

Comments

• malkangani

That looks so fun.

Reply to malkangani
  • Selene

Sunflower seeds are very popular in our cuisine (from where I come from). You should try them while baking bread or with your salad ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Selene
  • Cami

I love exercising outdoors! And I like the idea of stopping to do push-ups, etc. as you go. It makes you feel like youยดre not doing so much “exercise” ๐Ÿ™‚ That latte looks so delicious. Can’t wait to see what else you think up with your espresso machine! I would love to see some flavorful latte rรฉcipes with low sugar options.
    Cami

Chasing Vogue

Reply to Cami
  • Jen

Does your weight fluctuate a lot? You look so different from post to post. I don’t mean that in a bad way at all because I know mine does and I think you are beautiful. I was just wondering if maybe we are in the same boat, too much salt definitely makes me notice a difference

Reply to Jen

I’ve talked about this a lot before. My weight is like a roller coaster. I gain weight eating anything, and its hard for me to keep weight off. Some weeks I can be 10lbs more or less than the week before. I also hold a lot of water so I have to watch my sodium intake. It’s frustrating but something I have to deal with. I also just recently found out about a thyroid issue, so that plays a huge role in my weight going up and down.

• Kristin C

How intense is that hike? I’m a terrible hiker ๐Ÿ˜‰

And what is that espresso stuff? Never heard of it.

Reply to Kristin C
  • Abby

So glad you got the antibiotics! I had that happen when I was meeting my boyfriend’s parents on the other side of the country and had to go to the doc there. Taking cranberry pills really helps prevent them in the future and if you feel one coming on again stay away from caffeine and alcohol. Just my personal experience because I know they suck, especially while traveling. Enjoy your trip!

Reply to Abby
  • marti

What kind of espresso machine do you have? I’ve been wanting one!

Reply to marti
  • Katherine Sanford

Hi Taralynn! As many previous posts have said antibiotics is definitely the easiest/quickest way to get better; I have also had my fair share of this problem that turned into kidney infections a couple of times which is awful! A friend of mine reccomended an all natural cranberry pill to take daily or when I feel something might be going wrong and it has worked wonders now for 2 years! The brand of the cranberry pill is springhill valley…..I’ve tried other brands but I reccomend this one personally I really feel a difference if I take it as soon as I start to feel like something’s up!

I’ve commented a few times before on your blog i love it I check it daily! I just recently went gluten free and i turn to your blog for dinner ideas all the time ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Katherine Sanford
  • Erica

Hi Taralynn,
    I just wanted to take the time to say I have been following your blog for awhile now and you’re awesome! I use to live in Raleigh, then Wilmington, and now San Diego! I can tell you really enjoy NC and it is a beautiful place to live and very vibrant in Charlotte. Just wanted to say HI and to have a wonderful day (feel better soon)!

Reply to Erica

Thank you Erica! I love love love Wilmington! I bet you love San Diego, I have yet to go! (want to someday) I really do love Charlotte and I’m so happy I found a place that sticks ๐Ÿ˜‰ xo!

• savannah

Ended up with a kidney infection twice from that…get the antibiotics! Have a great trip xx

Reply to savannah
  • Emily G

Definitely try to concentrated cranberry supplements! I used to get those VERY regularly and was constantly worried about getting them. I haven’t gotten one since taking the cranberry supplements knock on wood!

Reply to Emily G
  • Jacquelyn

That view is gorgeous!!! <3 I'm embarrassed but what is "the cranberry juice kind of sick"? Do you have strep? Strep is the WORST, definitely make sure it doesn't come back before you go on vacay!

Reply to Jacquelyn
  • Mary

Hey! I have had that cranberry type issue for a LONG time, ever since I was 10 and I am 22 now. So you can imagine haha but I started seeing a nutritionist and she has completely cured me! I haven’t had one since then. She has me take Bucco, which is a liquid you can get from Standard Process and also CranStat! Which is either from Premier (Which she gives me), but there are cheaper options that work just as well. They are all whole food supplements and they work amazing! Everything else you’re doing works really well, but if you’re nervous about antibiotics or things like that, this works just as well and much better in my opinion.
    I hope it doesn’t come back and have a great trip!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Mary

Thank you so much Mary! I used to have them constantly as a little girl and had to get on a prescription for it. I went 10 years without having anything and then this past year, I’ve had two kidney infections. I will look into your recommendation!

• NC

I had an unfortunate incident in Dublin last summer, stuck sick with lady problems on a backpacking trip. I now always travel with a back-up antibiotics dose for that issue, just in case! My doctor also recommended probiotic capsules (the kind you keep refrigerated… I order them off Amazon Prime haha) to help get my body back on track. Have a safe trip!

Reply to NC

That would be so scary! Great idea about the antibiotics for your trips! Glad you’re ok! I’ll look into those capsules, I wonder if you can get them at like CVS or something?

• NC

I’m sure CVS or Target Pharmacy would have them, too! Just ask the pharmacist on duty and they’ll be able to help you find them in the vitamin/supplement area. ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to NC
      • Carin

Tara,
        You can get them just about anywhere, including Walmart. I’m a nurse and used to get frequent UTIs from not getting to go to the bathroom during a 12-16 hour shift. I buy probiotics from Target (for another female reason as well) and take cranberry capsules and I haven’t had a problem since! Never forget to take antibiotics until the entire supply you receive is gone! Your body can become resistant to the antibiotic if you stop the therapy too soon. Feel better and safe travels!

Reply to Carin
  • Cassie

So lucky you got to hike on such a stunning trail!

Reply to Cassie
  • Jenna

Be careful going on this road trip. I had a UTI while on a road trip to Seattle and even though I had antibiotics, it got worse because I wasn’t drinking enough water and I was always in other people’s homes and doing activities I didn’t expect and it was so horrible! Just be careful love!

Reply to Jenna
  • Katie

If you decided on antibiotics this time, then just for future reference… I’ve managed to get mine under control with TONS of water and concentrated cranberry pills. Those little suckers work miracles. I never use antibiotics for that problem anymore

Reply to Katie

Thanks Katie! I let it go last time and ended up getting a crazy kidney infection, so I’m going to play it safe since I have a huge road trip coming up! Next time, I’ll play it out! xo

• curls

I get crazy bad infections as well and my mom was always trying to convince me to try tons of water and those cranberry pills. I tried it one time and I ended up with such a bad infection that I was urinating blood and I had to be hospitalized Better safe on antibiotics than sorry, imo.

Reply to curls
  • Joi / Joiful.me

This looks amazing! I really want to get into hiking too! I imagine it to be such a fun way to combine exercise and being outdoors! Hope you are feeling better!

Joi xx

Reply to Joi / Joiful.me
  • Lauren

Get the antibiotics…you don’t want to be stuck on the road with that!

Reply to Lauren

That’s what I decided too!

• Robin

Along with the antibiotics I’d recommend you also start taking probiotics. Sometimes, for issues like yours, a probiotic will actually take care of the problem without any antibiotics, but with them you definitely should be taking the probiotics since your good bacteria will be affected by the antibiotics.

Reply to Robin
  • Anna @ Anna Can Do It!

Hi! Your pictures are so beautiful, must be a great hiking! Have fun at your trip! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Ps.: Oh how I love Dallmayr…just bought some yesterday! ๐Ÿ˜€ – Love, Anna

Reply to Anna @ Anna Can Do It!