Green Tea Matcha Protein Smoothie

matcha protein smoothie

What a day!

It feels good to finally be sitting down and relaxing, especially since I’m not up to par today. I leave for my trip tomorrow, and I had to get some snacks for the road, my doctors appointment out of the way, pick up Grumples food and medicine, and I’m still waiting on my doctor to call in my prescription. It’s been eight hours since my appointment and still nothing 🙁

When I got home, I whipped up some healthy oatmeal almond flour chocolate raisin cookies, and oat pumpkin muffins for the trip. I will post those recipes soon. Right now, I want to share my afternoon pick me up smoothie, green tea matcha protein smoothie! I fell in love with matcha after eating at the Protein Bar in Washington D.C. When I saw the green tea matcha mix at Trader Joes today, I had to get it!

Green Tea Matcha Smoothie

I love drinking the matcha cold or hot! Today, I made it into a cold drink. I mixed 2 tablespoons of the matcha powder into 1 cup of hot water. After the matcha was combined, I added a couple of ice cubes to speed up the cooling process.

Green Tea Matcha Smoothie

In a blender, I added about a cup of ice, 1 cup of unsweetend cashew milk, packet of stevia, and 1/2 small banana.

Green Tea Matcha Smoothie

Combine until blended!

Green Tea Matcha Smoothie

I love the matcha flavor in this smoothie, and I can’t wait to bring it with me on my trip so I can drink it hot!

Benefits of matcha:
SOURCE

• Is packed with antioxidants including the powerful EGCg
  • Boosts metabolism and burns calories
  • Detoxifies effectively and naturally
  • Calms the mind and relaxes the body
  • Is rich in fiber, chlorophyll and vitamins
  • Enhances mood and aids in concentration
  • Provides vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium
  • Prevents disease
  • Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar
  • Matcha powdered green tea has 137 times more antioxidants than regularly brewed green tea.
  • One cup of matcha = 10 cups of regularly brewed green tea in terms of nutritional content

Comments

• Laura Hager

I bought this a while ago, but haven’t used it yet! This looks like a great way to enjoy matcha! Thanks for the recipe!

Laura

Reply to Laura Hager
  • Taryn

Hi! Did you ever post the oat pumpkin muffin recipe? Maybe I’m missing it 🙁

Reply to Taryn
  • Ashton Jury

I’m so excited to run to Trader Joes later and get some of this stuff! I used to get it when I worked at Starbucks but I don’t work there anymore so I can’t get it! Thanks for sharing your find! Also have you tried there Mocha Cappuccino powder? I love it in just plain hot coffee or blended into an iced coffee drink!

Reply to Ashton Jury
  • Emily

Not sure if you knew or not, but your mix isn’t just the Matcha. It has other additives to make it into the latte flavor. Which tastes super good, but kind of negates all of the benefits of using just matcha powder on its own! Also, not gluten free :/

Reply to Emily
  • Kristin C

When I worked at Starbucks, we had Matcha, but I just couldn’t do it. It tasted like grass. haha.
    Maybe I’d like a brand other than the kind Starbucks has? I’d love to have the health benefits of it!

Reply to Kristin C
  • Kasie

Just a heads up, there is wheat in the matcha mix. So it’s not gluten free.

Reply to Kasie
  • Brooke

Which TJ did you go to? The one on Metro Ave (w the weird underground parking) or the one in Pineville? I go to both, but I want to pick some of this up this weekend and don’t wanna make a wasted trip!

Reply to Brooke
  • Cassie

Perffffff <3 matcha is my favorite thing in the world!

Reply to Cassie
  • Emily

darn too bad about the prescription! if you can’t get them tomorrow before you leave for your trip, at least you can have the prescription filled at a pharmacy in Maine! It’s very easy to do 🙂

Reply to Emily
  • Zully Hernandez

This looks good! I’ve always get my Aria protein powder from TJs, but I’ve got to pick this up next time I go.

Reply to Zully Hernandez
  • Caity

Where do you get your matcha powder? I have had trouble finding an affordable source.

Reply to Caity