5K & Brunch at Cafe Monte Bistro

11024408_1557919021126196_595888667_n

I’m exhausted today. I had a very eventful weekend. I can usually fit my weekends all in one post but this time I’m going to have to stick it into three. I’m saving Friday for later because I’m excited about Saturday’s accomplishments. Since getting injured last October, I’ve had issues running. I’ve tried and tried, but kept getting pain. I was officially cleared by the doctor and have been taking care of myself better. Not being able to run was one of the most depressing things.  Saturday, I ran my first five since getting injured. I’m excited to keep up the running and continue to bigger races. But, I’m not going to rush myself and get hurt like last time, I’m taking baby steps.

PicMoonkey Collage

Pre Race Breakfast: 1/2 bottle of Gateway to Green Juice from Luna’s Living Kitchen: kale, apple, orange, lemon, ginger. I also had bowl of whole grain cheerios with almond milk. I had 1/2 cup of coffee and a bottle of water two hours prior.

11062980_838571546189423_1558577407_n

Race Playlist:

1. Kacey Musgraves – Biscuits (3:16)
2. Flo Rida – GDFR (3:10)
3. Lil Wayne – How to Love (4:01)
4. Lil Wayne – Love Me (4:15)
5. Lil Wayne – Mrs. Officer (4:42)
6. Lil Wayne – My Homies Still (4:07)
7. Decisions – Borgore Ft. Miley Cyrus (4:05)

PicoMonkey Collage

The race went well. I wasn’t prepared for the amount of hills it had. If it didn’t have as many hills I probably would have decreased my time by 3 minutes. When I go downhill, I have to slow down because of my knees, and when I go uphill, I’m fighting so I slowdown. It was a up and down hill race. I did however like the challenge and it’s opened my eyes about changing up my running routes.

After the run, I grabbed a half banana and a orange and chugged two bottles of water. By the time the race ended I wish I hadn’t worn that dri-fit underneath. It was so hot!

31:07.9 was my final time which is awful compared to my normal pace but I’m going to blame the lack of training with hills. It’s just a great motivation to do better!

Overall, I’m proud of myself.

PicMonkey Collage

I’m excited for more races in my future!

Oh and by the way! Ladies! How do you wear your hair when you run? I can’t wear it in a pony tail or a bun because it hurts my head! Maybe my hair is too think and heavy but the only way I can wear it while running is in a french braid.

11072520_838572066189371_745979978_n 11072401_838572119522699_669539959_n

After the race, we headed to Southpark to have dinner at one of my favorite places in Charlotte, Cafe Monte Bistro! It was so beautiful and so we sat outside.

11080090_838572196189358_1293181431_n 11073841_838572222856022_516918809_n 11077494_838572259522685_263005447_n

First up? COFFEE!

10725095_448936945259372_207706465_n

I ordered the French Country Breakfast and a side of fruit. It came with two eggs over easy, country bacon, whole grain toast, and a hash brown patty.

11072679_10203919047840475_888927713_n 11072888_10203919048280486_2041652586_n

Crab cake eggs Benedict and holy cow it was delicious! I want to make my own version now!

11051514_838572422856002_1847299333_n

Two little mini macarons, lemon and coffee!

11081667_838572606189317_349715100_n

After breakfast, I changed into some shorts and headed to the baseball fields.

11076863_838572506189327_1991198272_n 11072371_839146822798562_1443300473_n

I couldn’t have asked for a better day!

11081689_838572732855971_1471591987_n

After the draft, we headed back to Fort Mill to have dinner. White vegetable pizza that had onions, zucchini, broccoli, tomato, and spinach. It was delicious!

I was so tired Saturday, I fell asleep at 9:30!

Comments

• Cristina

Hello Taralynn!
    I am not an English speaker, so my comment can have language mistakes
    I am fan of your blog, and I admire your wight lose and your willpower… You run in races!
    I want to do that in a future, at the moment I’m content doing sport for my own (spinning, aerobic…) but I want to go to sportive events and compete
    Congratulations for your blog and your livestyle, you are an example for many people (including me)

Reply to Cristina
  • Laura

I feel like I have really similar hair to you so I feel your pain! My hair always falls out. Awful… I figured out the best way though! I used to do double french braids too but sometimes I don’t like the hair around my face or like on my neck (at least double on my neck haha) so I put my hair tight in a low pony and braid it then wear a headband (try bang buster from lululemon) and it’s flawless! It gets me through every crossfit workout or run I do

Reply to Laura
  • mel

You are awesome!

Reply to mel
  • Greta

Did you know that a 5k is 3.1 miles?

Reply to Greta
  • Brooke

I had to stop running for a while because of a back injury, but my chiropractor has cleared me to start again! But now my knees are hurting. I think it might be my shoes… I’ve always been a Nike girl, but I’m thinking about switching to Asics. Can you do a running shoe review?

Also, I love braids for running & working out!!

Reply to Brooke
  • Morgan

You are glowing with beauty, health and happiness!!! 🙂

Reply to Morgan
  • Sierra @La Spice Sisters

Taralynn! You look awesome! This post just got me so excited and motivated to get out there and move! Also a little jealous of your sunning time while watching baseball.. that sounds so relaxing!

Reply to Sierra @La Spice Sisters
  • Alexee

Hi there! Good job on your race!! The pizza looked so good I just wanted to ask if you could post the recipe? Or reply with the recipe? It looks amazing. My sister and my dad have a 5k coming soon in the spring

Reply to Alexee
  • Kerri McGrail

Nice run! I know how hard it can be to keep pushing after injuries! I had a stress fracture in my shin a couple years back, did lots of rehab on it, and am now running a full marathon. Keep going and I’m sure you’ll be a running superstar in no time!

Reply to Kerri McGrail
  • Kelsey Meshias

These post are so inspiring. Will you do fitness fashion post? I want to know where you got everything!

Reply to Kelsey Meshias
  • Susie

Great job on your race!
    If there has been one thing that has changed my running/race performance, it’s been running hills. It sucks for every minute haha but the amount of endurance and strength you build up is incredible. And it gives you a great booty!

I like to braid my bangs for races and pull my hair into a low pony tail. You should also try sweaty bands. I hated head bands before because they would slip and slide all over but once I discovered these I was hooked. They don’t move an inch!

Keep up all the great work and dedication 🙂

Reply to Susie
  • Kent

You are my inspiration. I had a blog but had to delete it because of the online bullying. You are so strong and I always think of you when people are mean to me. I admire you for your strength and courage.

Reply to Kent
  • Megan M

Congrats on your race! I love doing races, I find they’re more exciting than running on my own. You should totally do the Cooper River Bridge Run next year here in Charleston! It’s a 10k that goes from Mt. Pleasant, across the big bridge, and into downtown Charleston. It’s a huge race but it’s pretty well-organized and a lot of fun; my friends and I have been doing it together for the past 3 years (it’s coming up on Saturday). Anyway, have a great week!

Reply to Megan M
  • Cassie

Congratulations!

Reply to Cassie
  • Alisha

Hey tara!

You should consider swimming laps maybe to replace half of your running workouts until your injuries get better! Much better for joints etc. Less impact!

Since I’m a swimmer and literally NEVER run unless I’m late, I just have a question. Is a ‘five’ the same as a 5k or is it 5 miles? Never heard the term being used before!

You look great!! xoxo

Reply to Alisha
  • Amara

congrats on the race! my goal this week is to get back into running. your breakfasts looked amazing! this past weekend, my mom tried her first macaron at our wedding menu tasting and she has been obsessed and will buy them wherever she sees them! haha it’s cute

Reply to Amara
  • Michelle S.

Congrats on your race! I can only wear French braids when I run too! I cannot stand my hair whipping me in the face when it’s in a pony and a bun never stays. That pizza looks delish! 🙂

Reply to Michelle S.
  • Sophie

Hey Tara, could you write a post (or comment) about the tips and advice that worked for you to get back to running? I also suffer from a lot of injuries and would love to hear what worked best for you to ease the pain. Thanks 🙂

Reply to Sophie
    • Susie

Hi Sophie,

I just wanted to chime in here and let you know some of the things that have worked for me (I’m an avid runner and have dealt with a TON of injuries over the past few years). One of the main things is ice! Ice ice ice. If something is bothering you or if you have an area that you know is prone to injury or pain (like your knees or hips) try to ice it at least every time after you run and even on your off days if possible.

Some people also swear by Epsom salt baths (I like to do these after long races). You can buy epsom salts at any grocery store in the health section.

Foam rolling is great to keep your muscles from tightening up too much (which can cause injury). So is yoga and post run stretching. There are tons of free yoga sessions you can find on YouTube (because studios can be super expensive).

Another thing that can help is to be fitted for the right type of shoe. A lot of running stores have a program where they’ll watch you run and be able to tell you if you over or under pronate and recommend shoes that can help with pain or discomfort while running.

Hope this helped you a little bit!

Reply to Susie
      • Sophie

Hey Susie,
        Thanks for your comments! I have been icing for a while now, but never got around to foam rolling. I’ll give it a try though.
        Thanks again!

Reply to Sophie
  • Kaitlyn

Hey Taralynn! 🙂 I’ve been following you for years now and I had commented some of your stuff while I was living in Australia but now I’m back in Charlotte and if you are ever open to meeting up let me know! That would be so great! But I also totally understand why you wouldn’t want to meet up with some random stranger from the internet haha. Regardless I’ll keep recommending you go to Enzo in the Epicenter for sushi 😀 🙂 hope you’re still enjoying NC!

Reply to Kaitlyn
  • Lindsay

Dinner looked really yummy! Congratulations Taralynn 😉

Reply to Lindsay
  • Melanie

Looks like a fun weekend! Congrats on finishing the race!! 🙂

Reply to Melanie
  • Jessica

Congrats on your race Tara!! You did great! You should definitely be proud of yourself. Side Note – I want to jump through the computer screen to grab a slice of that pizza! I would love the recipe 😉

Reply to Jessica
  • Erin

His veggie pizza looks amazing.. what dough does he use?

Reply to Erin
  • Jennifer

I think your time was great! Glad you’re back at running and love the blog! 🙂

Reply to Jennifer
  • Kristin C

Great job! I really wish i liked running. Unless there is a basketball in my hand, I despise running, but I wish I didn’t.
    I am getting so excited about the possibility of Taylor (my husband) possibly picking the seminary in Charlotte. If we move there, it looks like there are so many awesome opportunities!
    Every time you post a place to eat or even the cute neighborhoods, I get even more excited 🙂

Reply to Kristin C

Thanks Kristin!

I agree about the basketball. It makes running more enjoyable and I could play basketball for hours. I never used to like running, but that was because I sucked at it and never really gave it a chance. Now, I love it. Beating goals, increasing strength, and the endorphins is an addition.

I also hope your husband gets Charlotte! We’ll have to do some walks and play some basketball! I could always use some workout buddies! Charlotte is one of my favorite places and it really does have so much to offer!

xo

• Kristin C

I would love a workout buddy (and coffee buddy!) if we move there! I only know one other person from the area so I could definitely use some friends. 🙂

And yeah, I think if I was better at it, I’d like running better. I tend to be very competitive, even with myself!

Reply to Kristin C

Nothing like a good race, some nice food, and early sleep to end the perfect day!

• Emily Weir

Very impressive race time for hills AND your first race back. I myself use those elastic hair ties that don’t damage your hair for a pony with a headband to keep back the fly-aways. They never seem to stay in place well though so I might need to try out a braid instead.

Reply to Emily Weir

Thank you Emily!

I haven’t tried the elastic hair ties and I should have used a headband to control the fly aways. I always feel silly wearing them, but they may be worth it!

• Liv @ Healthy Liv

I can NOT run with my hair in a bun, either! Too heavy bouncing around. I always wear my hair in a ponytail because it’s easy, and my hair doesn’t look great braided 🙂

Reply to Liv @ Healthy Liv
  • Elle

Good job on your time, especially with hills! I think it feels good to be tired after a race, it reminds you of your accomplishment! What races do you plan on doing next?

Reply to Elle

Thanks Elle! I agree, I feel amazing after I run and felt even better after that race! I think the adrenaline and anxiety intensifies it. 🙂

I have a couple of other 5ks planned but after those, I’d like to step it up!

• Anna P

YOU LOOK SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Anna P
  • Ranae

Congrats on your race! I was out with injury myself for a few months, very frustrating. I do what I call “race braids” which are just double french braids, and a sweatyband or bondi band to catch loose strands near my face. 🙂

Reply to Ranae

Thanks Ranae!

I will have to do the race braids next time! I used to wear my hair that way in high school during basketball games!

Glad you’re back from the injury!

xo