60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

Halloween, Thanksgiving, or no holiday at all! These pumpkin bars are a must! As you already know, I am a huge fan of enjoying my favorite treats in healthier ways. Yesterday was no exception. My parents came to Detroit to visit  and I wanted to bake up one of my dad and I’s favorites…pumpkin bars!

My dad is not a fan of healthy foods. He thinks most of them are dull, boring, and bland. Those are all the same things…I know. But I didn’t tell him these were healthy or low calorie and he couldn’t get over how good they were. He even had the nerve to ask me if they were store bought. I forgave him.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

The average pumpkin bar contains over 250 calories. And if you are anything like me…one isn’t enough sometimes! I wanted to make a recipe that I could feel good about eating and going back for seconds.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

Ingredients For Pumpkin Bar Batter *1 1/2 Cups 100% Whole Grain Unbleached Wheat Flour, *1/2 Cup Almond Flour, *1 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon, *1/2 Tsp. Freshly Grated Nutmeg, *1 Tsp Baking Powder, *1 Tsp Baking Soda, *1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce, *4 Large Eggs *1 Tsp Olive Oil, *2 Cups Pumpkin Puree, *3 Tbsps. Brown Sugar *1 Tsp Vanilla Bean Paste, *1/8 Cup Agave. and *Baking Stevia or Truvia to Taste.

Ingredients For Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting *2 Tbsp Almond Flour, *Baking Stevia or Truvia to Taste, *1 Tsp Vanilla Bean Paste, *5 Oz Cup Vanilla Greek Yogurt, 3/4 Cups Plain Cream Cheese(1/3 less fat) , *1 Tsp Unsweetened Almond Milk, *2 Tbsp. Agave, *1 Tbsp Brown Sugar.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees!

Sift together the almond flour, wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon together.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

Grate about 1/4 of the nutmeg into the bowl of dry ingredients.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

In a separate bowl mix together the eggs, applesauce, and oil.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

Measure and add agave to the bowl of wet ingredients.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

A pumpkin to the wet ingredients and combine until smooth.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

Add brown sugar and vanilla to the bowl of wet ingredients.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until completely smooth.

After the mixture is combined, add the additional sweetener. Don’t be afraid to try the batter to make sure it is sweet enough.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

Grease a baking dish with olive oil, butter, or cooking spray.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

Spread batter with a spatula until smooth.

Bake in the oven for 20 – 15 minutes. Use the toothpick method to make sure it is done.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

While the bars are baking mix together all the ingredients for the frosting and place the frosting in the refrigerator.

Make sure you try the frosting until it fits your sweet tooth. I added about five packets of Stevia. It seems like a lot but, when it’s divided between 35 servings, it’s not that much.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

Take the pumpkin bars out and allow them to cool before you add any frosting or the frosting will melt.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

Spread the frosting evenly over the cooled pumpkin bars.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

Sprinkle cinnamon on top for decoration.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

Place the bars in the refrigerator for five minutes for the frosting to firm before cutting.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

You can cut the bars in whatever shapes you wish. I just cut them into 35 squares.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

Keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. They last about one hour before the cream cheese starts to get soft. Because this recipe contains dairy, it’s safer to keep them in a cool area after a while.

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

These bars are absolutely amazing. I literally can’t put it in words how happy I am with the outcome of this creation. Sometimes recipe swaps and concoctions don’t turn out too well, but this one is a guaranteed favorite!

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

We all had pumpkin bars for breakfast this morning with pumpkin yogurt! We are certainly going to turn into pumpkins.

I also had an extra good run today, so maybe these had something to do with it!

60 Calorie Healthy Pumpkin Bars With A Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting!

Recipe Makes 35 Pumpkin Bars.

Nutrition With Frosting: 60 Calories, 9 g Carbs, 2 g Fat, 2 g Protein, 2 g Fiber, 4 g Sugar

Nutrition Without Frosting: 46 Calories, 8 g Carbs, 2 g Fat, 2 g Protein, 1 g Fiber, 3 g Sugar

If you need help with some recipe swaps, leave a comment below and I’ll try to help you out!

original-2

original-3 original-4 original-5 original-6 original-7 original-8 original-9 original-10 original-11 original-12 original-13 original-14 original-15 original-16 original-17 original-18 original-19 original-20 original-21 original

Comments

• Emma

This recipe is so amazing! It’s been my go-to pumpkin bar/muffin recipe for 2 years now 🙂 It’s so adaptable too — I made it today for Canadian Thanksgiving with shredded zucchini instead of applesauce. Thanks Taralynn!!

Reply to Emma
  • Nicole

Hi Taralynn! When you say that these last an hour before the cream cheese starts to get soft, does that mean the bars are best eaten the same day they are made? Or can they be kept in the fridge for a few days? Thinking of making them for Thanksgiving!

Reply to Nicole

They can be enjoyed up to 3 days after if you keep them in the fridge! 🙂 That was just if they are left on the counter. Also, you can freeze them and they’ll last basically forever 😉

• Kanchan

Can these be frozen?

Reply to Kanchan
  • Christelle

Can use buckwheat flour for the base? Almond flour and wheat flour is so hard to find in our area. Thanks

Reply to Christelle
  • Megan

Hi Taralynn! Do you remember about how much baking stevia you used in the batter and how much you used in the icing? Thanks! Can’t wait to make ’em!

Reply to Megan
  • sara

These were so good. I sent them to my dad in NY and he loved them.

Reply to sara
  • Stephanie

Where can I find vanilla bean paste? I bought all the ingredients for this recipe, but can’t find vanilla bean paste anywhere. Thanks!

Reply to Stephanie

You can find it at whole foods, most grocery stores sell the vanilla bean paste in the produce section for some reason, but I bought this one at marshals!

• Stephanie

Where can I find vanilla bean paste? I haven’t been about to find it at Kroger or Meijer. Thank you!

Reply to Stephanie
  • Sarah Henderson

I have a quick question!!! is there much of difference using coconut flower vs almond flour??? And does the whole wheat flour have to be unbleached??

Reply to Sarah Henderson
  • Rachel Olson

Do you have any suggestions to make the icing dairy free?

Reply to Rachel Olson
  • Abbie

I made these and did the toothpick test and it came clean. The first day they were great; by day two they seemed to be a little more wet then by day three they were like too wet to eat. I didnt keep them in fridge because i didnt do the frosting. Should i have put them in the fridge anyways? Would they have stored better and not locked in so much moisture?! Advice would be greatly appreciated!! (: thanks!!

Reply to Abbie
  • jacelynn

can i use a different non dairy milk instead of almond? and what can i use in the place of the almond flour? i have a slight allergy to almonds, but i really wanna make these!!

Reply to jacelynn
    • Meaghann Clope

You can use any kind of non dairy milk- like soy. You can omit the flour and omit the almond milk probably

Reply to Meaghann Clope
  • Vanessa

I really really want to try these out, but I don’t have whole wheat flour — would spelt or buckwheat flour work? 🙂

Reply to Vanessa
  • Alyssa

For anyone thinking of making these, DO IT! They’re delicious!

Reply to Alyssa
    • Geneva

Meal is the same as flour, they are both just ground almonds. So anytime you see meal, such as flax, cashew, or coconut it is the same as flour.

Reply to Geneva
  • Shelley

I love these low-cal recipes! Where do you buy your almond flour from? I can only ever find almond meal (which I assume is different?).

Reply to Shelley
    • Michael

Shelly, you can get almond flour at Whole Foods in their bulk section. I would also try Trader Joes. Hope this helps!

Reply to Michael
  • Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy

The frosting gets me everytime 🙂

Reply to Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy
  • Alisia

These look amazing. I will definitely pin this for later use. I love fall and pumpkin so this is perfect.

Reply to Alisia
  • Elizabeth McKinney

Is there anyway to make these wheat free? Just a substitute for the wheat flour?

Reply to Elizabeth McKinney
  • Natasha @ Under The Sticks

Hi Taralynn! Just wanted to let you know I posted these to my site, Under The Sticks. I made a couple teeny adjustments like the implementation of soy milk, vanilla bean extract, and almond flour. They were a huge hit!!

xoxoxoxo Thanks for all, girlie!

Reply to Natasha @ Under The Sticks
  • Lindsay Hall

Do you have any suggestions for an almond four replacement?? These look and sound amazing!

Reply to Lindsay Hall