Low Calorie Flatbread Pizzas!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Yesterday was mine and Jeremy’s anniversary. Every year, we make homemade pizzas and watch movies. We were still in food comas from Easter dinner, so we wanted our pizzas to be light. I headed to the grocery store yesterday afternoon and picked up some ingredients.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I was going to make my own crust, but then had an idea when I saw these. Truth is, I just wanted something easy. I didn’t feel like crafting pizza dough at 8pm. These whole grain wraps were only 90 calories and pretty low carb. I decided to use them as the crust. That solved the “I don’t feel like baking” problem. I also bought pizza sauce, green bell peppers, turkey sausage, turkey pepperoni and skim mozzarella cheese.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

These are super simple to construct and there isn’t much to clean up afterwards.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a baking sheet and place the flatbreads on top.

Spread 1/4 cup of sauce on each flatbread.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Cook up the turkey sausage and bell peppers together in a frying pan.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Top the pizzas with the peppers, sausage, and whatever toppings you chose!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese on each pizza! I made two pizzas for Jeremy and two pizzas for myself! Two pizzas for 500 calories? I’ll take it!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Bake for 12-14 minutes! The flatbread should be crisp and the cheese should be melted.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I figured these pizzas would taste “light” because they were so low calorie, but they were incredible! The crispy flatbread almost tasted like pizza hut’s thin crust pizza but less greasy. It was delicious and we plan on making these again and again! I really want to make a breakfast pizza version!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

What is your favorite specialty pizza flavor? Mine is Hawaiian!

Comments

• Rachael

This looks amazing. My son has recently been put on a strict diet (by his endocrinologist) but he loves his pizza and doesn’t really want to give it up. I was happy to find this recipe so he doesn’t have to. He loves pepperoni but I’m a veggie pizza type of girl. This would keep my grocery bill within budget, we both get what we want and still stay on the diet. (I’m doing it with him to make it easier. Nobody should have to suffer through health issues alone.) Thanks for posting this.

Reply to Rachael
  • Tara

We have the same name 🙂

Reply to Tara
  • Chassidy

Made these tonight and they were delicious and guilt free! Thanks for the great recipe Taralynn:-)

Reply to Chassidy
  • Marissa Miller

These pizzas look so yummy! I’m a vegetarian so I substituted an ingredient to fit my needs. I used Wegman’s meatless beef crumbles and also opted for lower calorie items. I used flatout light italian herb bread, kraft fat free mozzarella cheese, half of a green bell pepper sliced and mid’s pizza sauce. It came out great! Thank you for the inspiration 🙂 for a side I made your mozzarella stick recipe…so good!!! By the way, I love your new site. It’s so accesible, organized and cute. Your pictures on the site are always so nice and stylish, great editing technique!

Reply to Marissa Miller
  • mary

You are amazing! not only for this, and your other recipes, but for the message you are setting and sending out to young girls out there (and us older ones too)!!! I stumbled upon your website by accident~ I was looking for some easy and halfway healthy dorm cooking recipes to print out for my son who will be heading off to college in the fall. I’ve now decided that I’m going to tell my younger daughter (and all her friends) to go read your story. While my daughter is a tiny thing that has to fight to keep enough weight on (her friends tease her ~call her stick, say “oh no where did she go” when she turns sideways to do math at the front of the class, etc…) it would be great for her to read about all of your healthy lifestyle ideas. What you’ve gone through and the person you’ve now become is inspiring to say the least! Way to go girl.

Reply to mary
  • Alyssa

Yum! I always seem to get a really bad craving for pizza every week, I’ll definitely have to do this instead! 🙂

Reply to Alyssa
  • Giorgia

My favourite pizza is Margherita (the italian way! :)). It’s very tasty and extremlely light too!

Reply to Giorgia
  • ashley

I have been living off of pitta pizzas lately. They are so easy and low calorie in comparison.

Reply to ashley
  • Kammie @ Sensual Appeal

This is such a simple and quick way to make homemade pizza! I’ve tried doing this with pita breads before as well, both normal sized and mini. My favorite flavor is probably just plain ol’ pepperoni!

Reply to Kammie @ Sensual Appeal
  • Gwen Ferguson

Is there a gluten-free version of the crust you could suggest?

Reply to Gwen Ferguson
  • Melissa

I love these! Have you ever had Hawaiian pizza but with tomatoes instead of ham? It’s sooo gooood.

Reply to Melissa
  • Heather

I make these all the time! They are seriously the most satisfying, filling dinner! 🙂

Reply to Heather
  • Tammy

These look so good and I’m definitely going to try them this weekend! My favorite pizza is Hawaiian as well. Before I started eating healthier I also loved the Cheeseburger Feast pizza from Domino’s or the BBQ Chicken pizza from Papa Johns. Love your blog! You are definitely an inspiration to this 45 yr. old woman! lol

Reply to Tammy
  • Elizabeth

These look great! Do you have any ideas for light pizzas like this that would be gluten-free?

Reply to Elizabeth
  • Lauren

Do you ever do the cauliflower or zucchini pizza crusts?

Reply to Lauren