Whole Wheat Pizza Night

P1011436.jpg.jpg

Last night was pizza night. Most people wait until Friday, but that’s a rule I’ll never follow. Remember the copy cat Pizza Hut pizza recipe I tried out? Well it turned out so perfect that I wanted to try it again, but this time with healthier ingredients. And it worked out great!

P1011443.jpg

Ingredients
*1 1/3 cup of warm water (105 degrees F), *1/4 cup non-fat dry milk, *1/2 teaspoon salt, *4 cups whole wheat flour, *1 tablespoon sugar (or 2 packets stevia), *1 package dry yeast, 2 tablespoons olive oil (for dough), 4 tablespoons olive oil (for pan), 1 can Muir Glen pizza sauce, sautéed peppers and onions, 2 cups ground turkey sausage.

PicMonkey Collage.jpg

(these were the photos I used in my older post, so ignore the vegetable oil and white flour)

-In a large mixing bowl add: yeast, sugar, salt, and dry milk.

-Add water and stir to combine well and let the mixture sit for a couple minutes.

-Add olive oil and combine.

-Stir in the four cups of flour until a dough forms.

PicMonkey Collage.jpg

-Don’t be afraid to ditch the spoon and use your hands.

-Now that the dough has been formed, get ready to knead!

-Spread a little flour across your counter top. Place the dough on top and knead for about ten minutes. Kneading adds strength to the dough and makes it easier to roll out by stretching the gluten strands making it elastic-y.

-Kneading the dough basically involves pressing down, folding over, and stretching the dough with the heel of your hand over and over again. After the dough is kneaded, it should be nice and smooth.

-Roll the dough out with a rolling pin. Add a layer of olive oil to a baking pan and place the rolled out dough on top. Cover the dough and let it rise in a heated warm area for 1 1/2 hours.

PicMonkey Collage.jpg

While the dough is rising, prepare the toppings.

-I like to sauté my peppers and onions before adding them to the pizza in a pan.

-I also like to use real fresh mozzarella instead of the shredded packaged cheese. It makes a huge difference.

-For this pizza, I used ground turkey sausage, sautéed onions and peppers.

P1011442.jpg

After the dough rises, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Add the sauce and the toppings to the pizza.

I sprayed the edges of the pizza with cooking spray to keep them crisp!

Bake for about 25-28 minutes. Feel the center to determine if it’s fully cooked.

Take the pizza out and let it cool before eating!

P1011448.jpg

There was a lot of pizza left over, so this recipe will feed a ton! I’ll be enjoying this throughout the week 🙂

Pizza is best served with a glass of wine 🙂

ADD TO PINTEREST HERE

Comments

• Michelle Remkus

Homemade whole wheat pizza is the best! I just made own recipe and loaded my pizza up with turkey pepperoni and veggie. DELISH. I like your idea of using ground turkey sausage…next time!

Reply to Michelle Remkus
  • Shane

Recently read Grain Brain and it really has me convinced to eliminate wheat and gluten from my diet. Have you had a chance to read it or Wheat Belly? Just interested in what you thought?

Reply to Shane
  • Larisa

This looks soooo good. I so wish I could eat gluten but I’ll make this for my hubs! Have you ever tried cauliflower crust? It’s a super delish option plus Anything can taste good with sauce, veggies, and cheese. thanks!

Reply to Larisa
  • glo

Love your new site, Taralynn! I used to save pics of my fave dishes of yours in a folder but your pin it function doesn’t let me do that anymore. Might be a glitch on my comp? Not sure but just want you to know that doing that was helpful bc I’m visual 🙂

Reply to glo
  • Shannon

Is it bad that I’m just too lazy/busy to make this dish regularly. I am considering it for a date night activity. Grown up dates, I’m cool…

BTW Tara, you should get a PO BOX!!!

Reply to Shannon
  • Tammy

This looks so good!! Could you give the nutritional information for it? Thanks!

Reply to Tammy
  • Walnut

Extra Amazing with added flax in the crust. Makes it crunchy!
    Great recipe, thanks. <3

Reply to Walnut
  • Hailey

Muir Glen pizza sauce is SO good! This pizza looks so yummy :] And have you tried the Skinny Girl stevia? It’s my favorite!

Reply to Hailey
  • Livi

I want to try that skinny girl wine! Was it good?

Reply to Livi
  • Sara @ LovingOnTheRun

Oh this looks delicious and is already making me look forward to dinner later tonight! 🙂 oh, and pizza is ALWAYS best served with wine!

Reply to Sara @ LovingOnTheRun
  • Jaime

I love the look of the new website!

I just wanted to let you know though that so far, I’ve been unable to Pin from it. I tried this post and your Youtube workout post and they both said “could not fetch the image”. I tried my “Pin It” button, as well as using the buttons on your images.

I ended up just going to your Pinterest account, but still wanted to let you know!

Reply to Jaime
  • Alisia

That looks amazing. Definitely pinning this for later use!

Reply to Alisia
  • Chelsea

Could you make printable versions of your recipes, please?

Reply to Chelsea
  • Shannon

Would it be okay to use almond milk instead of the dry milk? Or is that a no no? Thanks 🙂

Reply to Shannon
    • Mandy

I make it with almond milk — I just heat it up a little, and put in about 1/3c and only use 1c water 🙂 turns out fine here!

Reply to Mandy
  • Megan

Hey–quick question! Do you happen to have the nutritional facts for this recipe? It sounds great but it’s easier for me to figure out weight watcher points if you already happen to have the amount of fat, carbs, fiber, and protein already calculated. 🙂 Thanks so much!

Megan